Bob the Campulance. E350 Crestline Ambulance Build with Roof Raise.

iggi

Ian
Yeah, as you know I've flip-flopped many times between whether to do the 4x4 conversion or not.
I have an FJ Cruiser so it's not like I need a 4x4 but there's been enough times in the last couple years that I really wanted 4x4 on the ambo. Not for running trails but even just the ability to drive steep fire roads and get into random off-road campsites.

I’ll keep it in mind if I decide I need another 4x. $2k doesn’t seem unreasonable for what you get. I’ve heard someone local paid $6k for a solid front axle swap in a smaller 4x4… and that’s just one axle and the front suspension.

I don’t need one since, even “stock”, my 40 series can run circles around almost any full size rig. There’s a huge advantage to 33s on a 13’ rig vs a 21’ rig.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Yeah, as you know I've flip-flopped many times between whether to do the 4x4 conversion or not.
I have an FJ Cruiser so it's not like I need a 4x4 but there's been enough times in the last couple years that I really wanted 4x4 on the ambo. Not for running trails but even just the ability to drive steep fire roads and get into random off-road campsites.
I’ve not done any camping off the beaten path in many years… so I’m not there yet. Maybe the future will bring more of it, but I’ve been trying to get to that stage for about 15 years and I’m not there yet.

Abitibi

Explorer
You won't regret it the 1st time you need it ;)

And your tranny is already 4x4 ready, bonus!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

iggi

Ian
Yep, purely through good luck (not via planning) I ended up with one of the easier drivetrains to convert. At least in terms of E series vans. :)
Every truck I've owned for the last 15 years has been 4x4 so it's been weird to not have that option on the ambo.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I'm assuming your rear axle is open differential? You would be amazed what good tires and a differential locker will do for you!

Abitibi

Explorer
His rear differential has a LSD which is pretty agressive when working properly...

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Nice, halfway there. It's better then nothing! But I do understand wanting to deeper off trail with these rigs. Go places nobody else goes.