Bmw G 650gs

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
805gregg said:
It's being replaced by a twin, like it should be.

Nope. The F800GS and the F650GS are the parallel twins...the G650GS will be the return of the Rotax single in a BMW dual sport (same engine as the G650 X-challenge, x-country, etc).

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
G650 Gs

Picture in your mind the 2000-2007 F650 GS, that is the G650 GS. The updated rotax single that was introduced with the other G650s is added and the chassis and gear of the older GS. Alas no Dakar version.

Jim

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
3 more HPs and no Dakar model...What is the purpose for bringing it back when you can get a F800gs with 81HP for about the same weight.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Price.

I'm guessing that the G650 will be ~$4K less than a F800GS (based on conversations with people in the know...)

To be completely honest, my [07] F650GS (non-Dakar) is quite capable with a decent set of tires...even before the suspension work. There were a few spots along the Trans Am that really pushed the bike + rider (I say bike + rider because we all know that the rider has a huge effect on the capability of a bike) to the limit of what it was capable of (ground clearance was an issue, as was the damping rates in the forks). But for the rider who doesn't spend time exploring anything rougher than the typical forest service road/fire road, the G650GS will get the job done for a much smaller price tag than a F800/F650.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
BMW's bulletin

BMW's bulletin

BMW Motorrad USA is pleased to announce the introduction of the G 650 GS. This bike is the reintroduction of the discontinued F 650 GS (Model Year 2007), due to popular demand. The naming convention was changed to maintain consistency between engine families. Since this bike is a single cylinder it now belongs to the G series.

Even though the previous model was wildly popular, several updates were still implemented. The new G 650 GS has been fitted with the updated ABS system found on the rest of the G series and is fully disengageable. The engine has also been updated. It now shares the same engine as found in the 2009 G 650 Xcountry. As a result the engine color is now black instead of silver.

The G 650 GS represents the most affordable way to join the GS family. To make this bike more appealing to entry level riders the base MSRP will be $7,670 (excluding freight) and only 2 options and 2 colors will be available: Deep Black and Red.

To add to the tremendous value of the G 650 GS, ABS, Heated Grips, and Hazard Flashers are standard!

To appeal to a wide variety of riders such as beginners, women, etc., the G 650 GS is available with Low Suspension. The seat heights are as follows: Standard -30.7"; Low Susp.- 29.5"

Attachments

• 2009 G650GS.jpg
    2009 G650GS.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 133

sprale

Observer
Naming conventions... ******

I'm glad the BMW naming convention was easy for everyone at home to understand... I was amazed that the F650/800 naming mess got out the door in the first place.

The new F650/800 is nice, no doubt there. Though, I would prefer the G650GS personally. I like basic thumpers with good ergos. Not too many left though... or maybe I am just getting picky as I age :)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey Just wondering if you guys in the US are getting the new BMW G450X and what the vibe was about them so far. Don't want a full blown hijak. They lare of course completely different to the 800. My brother is in the market for a 450 and has been holding off till he can get a demo ride.

RHR_700p.jpg

Can't see them being used for long distance travel as they only have a small tank (under the seat) and it looks too difficult to fit a larger one (such as on the 800).

There has certainly been a lot of hype here and at the moment they are at a bargain price which is cheaper than the Japanese bikes in the same class. Lots of trick features. Swing arm pivot in line with the primary sprocket, 111kgs with a stainless steel main frame, fuel injection with loads of top end power.

John

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I haven't ridden the G450...probably won't either. I'm not much of a dirt bike guy....but they are here. No headlight...so no night rides....not sure if anyone will be selling parts to set them up for long distance work.

I have talked to a couple people who have ridden them, and they all seem impressed...not that 2nd hand info is all that valuable in this case...

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
...I like the 450 for what it is...a dirtbike. Looking at that seat and contemplating a long ride makes me wince....

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior