BMW F650 Dakar Last Year

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Does anyone else see this as a "time to buy one". Any thoughts. I am just wondering if the Dakar goes away will it be similiar to the Land Rover Defender 90. Wish I had paid full retail for that back in 97. What about this ? BMW 800GS thing. I have done some searches on other sites but could not come up with much info. I love the looks of the 1200GS Adventure but the reality is I am too small (5'8" - 185 pounds). With that said I really would be upset if I purchased a Dakar and 2 months later BMW comes out with a mini version of the 1200 GSA. Say an 800 GSA. Any thoughts?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If you want one, can afford one, and can justify it to yourself, then now is always the time to buy one. For one up back country touring, it is a great bike. If you are looking for a "dirt bike with a plate", it is not a great bike. Will BMW be producing a entry level ~ mid level dual sport in the future? Almost a certanty. Will it be better than the Dakar? Maybe, maybe not. There will always be a market for used F650's, as they are a great utility bike with incredible fuel economy (I have gotton as high as 69.8mpg on my GS). So if BMW did start building something bigger, someone will certainly buy your used Dakar.

But, it might be hard to find a Dakar now. They go quick once they hit the dealer floors. Heck, even the standard F650GS's go quick.

So, if you want it, go get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles