BMW Adventure Bikes

805gregg

Adventurer
I was in the neighborhood so I stopped off at the Ventura BMW dealer. They were open and had a few bikes, I was looking to see if they had any used F800GS's no luck. But they did have a nice 1200GSA for $19,000 and a couple of new F800gs's for $13,000 and $14,000. Wow expensive, How can the Japs produce so many bikes under $10,000? And make them more reliable also.

Wander

Expedition Leader
The cost of manufacturing in Germany is much higher than in Japan which is part of the difference and German companies have never been shy about asking a premium price for what most feel is a premium product. I don't if this is true with BMW bikes but my wife drives a 00 Mercedes E320 wagon that has 115K miles and is still very solid and tight. Sure it requires more expenisve maintenance but it will outlast most other cars so if I stick with it for the long term I come out ahead. It also helps when you buy it well used and let someone else pay the high price!

Missing Link

BMW sale

I bought an F650GS from that shop several years ago and am on their newsletter list. About 2 hours ago I got an email promoting their "Black Friday" sale. They had a pretty good price on GS 1200, a GS1200 Adventure and a used F650GS. You might want to check it out on Friday.

That being said, I agree with your point about BMWs being very expensive compared to the Japanese brands, and I don't think it's simply a matter of saying "you get what you pay for." The Japanese do provide great performance and reliability for less $. If you do not do your own service work, BMW service rates are killer. Another problem is that BMW dealers are few and far between. They are good bikes, but not without some problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles