Bluetooth Module for Kenwood D710

unsung

I’m pulling my seat out in the morning to get a better look. Problem is the repeater has very little traffic so it’s like watching paint dry. I may switch to the Sheriff’s dispatch just to catch someone talking.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I’m pulling my seat out in the morning to get a better look. Problem is the repeater has very little traffic so it’s like watching paint dry. I may switch to the Sheriff’s dispatch just to catch someone talking.
The NOAA weather radio stations are also reliable (transmitting 24/7/365) VHF stations close enough to amateur 2m to test reception.

https://www.weather.gov/nwr/

If you ever get into HF most of us use WWV/WWVH, the NIST time stations, to check propagation and antennas.

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/radio-stations/wwv

Several things come to mind here. Squelch is acting strange and might be a touch to tight. I set mine wide open and reduce it till the white noise silences. If you live in an urban area with a lot of intermod you might need it a little more tighter. Check to make sure CCTS is turned off on receive settings.

taugust

Adventurer
Has anyone tried using AprsDroid with the Yaesu FTM-400xdr? Since it has bluetooth built in, seems it would avoid having to built the above setup. Not sure how this would work, since I currently have neither the radio, nor the app. Just looking for options.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Yaesu Bluetooth only does audio.

If you want to do APRSdroid you need to put a serial to Bluetooth adapter or TNC on the 8-pin DIN plug. I'm not sure the extent to which the internal TNC will allow external control. There's no way to assert a PTT AFAIK so you might be limited to listening to waypoints parroted out and displayed, in which case just the BT->serial is needed.

Last edited:

taugust

Adventurer
The Yaesu Bluetooth only does audio.

If you want to do APRSdroid you need to put a serial to Bluetooth adapter or TNC on the 8-pin DIN plug. I'm not sure the extent to which the internal TNC will allow external control. There's no way to assert a PTT AFAIK so you might be limited to listening to waypoints parroted out and displayed, in which case just the BT->serial is needed.
Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles