Bluetooth Module for Kenwood D710

dreadlocks

I have to use the OSM version of APRSDroid now that my Pixel updated to Android 10, the normal version just crashes hard due to mapping changes.. they are gonna have to do some maintenance on APRSDroid and get it updated soon or its dead in the water. https://github.com/ge0rg/aprsdroid/issues/233

PinPoint looks cool, shame its not multiplatform.. I'm not buying a windows PC just for that.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think by "they" you mean "he" since there's no development team or anything. I'm not sure how he'd feel about someone taking over official releases or making it an open source project. It is a fairly key piece of software for APRS and fixing it for yourself isn't going to help the community if it violates his license (I don't honestly know what, if anything, he asks in that vein).

dreadlocks

its GPLv2 already, all the code is there.. anyone could jump in, fix it and send him a merge request... the problem is that mobile platform's App Store ecosystem is the antithesis of what FOSS is about so the amount of Mobile FOSS Devs you can count on one hand.. Android is better than the rest but its still a PITA for FOSS to participate w/Play Store, you cant even find FOSS Projects for iOS.. there's nothing stopping you from taking APRSDroid and selling it on Play Store and making money off it without really changing anything, which is what happens to any GPL Phone Apps.. they hijack it, charge for it, then manipulate ratings and searches so they dont find the free FOSS one.. this all just results in the Devs staying far, far away from that crap in the first place and thats why its 100% commercial crap.

Ive written an Android App, bah it was a huge learning cliff and all specific to just Android.. my app was really simple, looking at the OSM API's and stuff my self I can see why its stayed pretty static if the old api's and stuff still worked.. I tried to generate a new set of OSM maps for North America and Canada on my home server, but even with 128Gig ram I was running out of memory and it was blowing up.. its gonna take some expensive cloud computing to generate maps for that using the old API's so I think the time has come... just wish I had the time and experience to contribute in any meaningful way.

unsung

I'm really fond of my Comet CA-2x4SR for its wideband capabilities, I use UHF side mostly for GMRS.

If your going through a rear hatch, you might want something like this: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-001464

So I bought these two items and finally am able to hear it after using the aux input on my stereo. Is there a good tip to help remove the static when someone is speaking? I had vehicle on and off and there was no difference in the audio.

dreadlocks

If someone else is broadcasting static not much you can do to remove it.. but if its locally induced some chokes should help

unsung

I listened to the net last night and it was there when everyone spoke. I was going to throw one on my antenna cable then. Would that antenna require tuning?

Last edited:

dreadlocks

usually not when ur goal is wideband, choke everything going into the radio, mic/control unit, antenna, depending on how long ur antenna run is mebe put another choke on the antenna end.. probably picking up noise from something locally.. I had a little noise after install on first testing, but I had a bag of chokes from previous projects and after putting em on everything it was crystal clear sounding.

some of the guys say they gota use shielded ethernet cable for the mic at least, but I didnt need too..

DaveInDenver

Describe this static. How close to the transmitting station are you? Is the engine running in the truck?

Putting chokes on coax shouldn't help and if it does you have a more fundamental issue, like ground loops. The whole point of unbalanced coax cable is that it's shielded against radiating RF and less susceptible to conducting it from the environment.

unsung

Describe this static. How close to the transmitting station are you? Is the engine running in the truck?

Putting chokes on coax shouldn't help and if it does you have a more fundamental issue, like ground loops. The whole point of unbalanced coax cable is that it's shielded against radiating RF and less susceptible to conducting it from the environment.

It was unchanged when engine was running and when engine was off. I could hear people if I concentrated but whenever someone keyed in it had that static along with it. The repeater is about 11 miles away.

I used the cable and antenna linked above. I contacted my local group and someone said they would look at it. I’m about to do a 5000 mile trip and definitely will need my radio because cell service will be iffy.

It sounded like this when someone keyed in.

DaveInDenver

It was unchanged when engine was running and when engine was off. I could hear people if I concentrated but whenever someone keyed in it had that static along with it. The repeater is about 11 miles away.

I used the cable and antenna linked above. I contacted my local group and someone said they would look at it. I’m about to do a 5000 mile trip and definitely will need my radio because cell service will be iffy.

It sounded like this when someone keyed in.

If that's a good representation, the crashes and way it fades in and out at 11 miles with what should be a good radio and antenna I'd check for serious kinks in the coax and if the connector is making poor contact. You should be what's called full quieting, meaning all audio and essentially no static or hiss. Did you look at the S-meter, the signal strength meter, when you're receiving? That should indicate something like "S9+" or have all the bars showing indicating a very strong signal.

unsung

I didn’t. I’m still a little new to this so I didn’t catch that.

I have it running to an external Kenwood speaker and also to my aux input on my stereo system. The static was present at each when I isolated each.

DaveInDenver

I didn’t. I’m still a little new to this so I didn’t catch that.

I have it running to an external Kenwood speaker and also to my aux input on my stereo system. The static was present at each when I isolated each.
Tried the internal speaker? could be the wire your using.
I'd start with @dreadlocks's suggestion, simplify to just use the internal speaker and eliminate external noise or a poor connection. Make sure the radio is working first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles