Blueberry Gone Wild FJ Build

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
For my Trooper I was contemplating a dual battery system for the fridge and CPAP etc. But ultimately I decided to go simple and got one big battery instead, a 100 amp-hour Group 31 Sears Platinum, and one of those little lithium jump starters as backup. It has worked great for overnights, no hint of any serious battery drain-down or trouble starting.

Thinking of taking a voltage tester and taking down some readings at 8:00pm and 8:00 AM the next morning and see what kind of effect the fridge has.
I haven't noticed a drop but it would be great to know how long I can do before Low Voltage Cut OFF.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Thinking of taking a voltage tester and taking down some readings at 8:00pm and 8:00 AM the next morning and see what kind of effect the fridge has.
I haven't noticed a drop but it would be great to know how long I can do before Low Voltage Cut OFF.

Engel told me my fridge usage would average about 1 amp, depending on ambient temps and how often the fridge is opened etc. So figure 12-15 amp-hours for an overnight, maybe less if it is a cool night.

If you have a 100 ah battery, and you would prefer not to drain below 50% for battery longevity, that gives you 50 ah usable, so you would still have a lot of reserve left after an overnight.

BJ'sFJ

Sequoia National Park Trip
June 19-22, 2015

Attention All!
I'll be leaving San Diego at 4:30 AM Friday the 19th for Sequoia National Park.
If traffic isn't too bad, I will be up there around Noon. We will be staying at Dorst Creek Campground.

Haven't been up to Sequoia in about 2 years. Not a very long trip so I'm trying to get the most out of it.
Any awesome spots up there you all have been to? Open to suggestions

Planning to hit these spots:
-General Sherman Tree
-Tunnel Log
-Moro Rock
-Little Baldy Sunrise Hike
-Buckeye flats campground river
-Heather Lake (if I want to hike 8miles)

Should be an awesome trip!

BJ'sFJ

COMING SOON:
Baja Designs Squadron Sport Wide Cornering Pair for Backup/Dust Lights

IMG_8628_zpsxzwf7vtx.jpg

Last edited:

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Cool FJ, and I love the title... fyi, in the NW, it's Huckleberry.

You don't like the dark, do you? :cool:

I watched an Overland Bound video about Sequoia NP where he went to Bald Mtn Lookout (ranger station) and it was gorgeous. The vid is a 3-parter and well worth the time, either overlandbound.com or on youtube. You'll find it as it's obvious which I'm referring to.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Keep this up and you're gonna have to change your member name to BD'sFJ (BajaDesign), lol.

The output and spread from those 'backup' lights is awesome!

Krytos

Adventurer
I'm going the same route with a group 31 Odyssey and the Anti Gravity back up jump starter. Haven't had any issues to date running my ARB 50q fridge for several days without starting the truck. However, I am looking into a solar charging kit from Renogy to extend my ability to run a lot more off my battery without running my truck and for longer periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've often asks myself why more people don't go this route. Way cheaper and simpler than a dual battery setup which, more often than not, falls way short of its potential.

High quality deep cycle is more than enough in 99.9% of cases. I think a lot of people go dual battery for bragging rights, or because they lose sight of the "mission drives the gear" continuum.

Now I'm really pumped to see where your build goes.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I've often asks myself why more people don't go this route. Way cheaper and simpler than a dual battery setup which, more often than not, falls way short of its potential.

High quality deep cycle is more than enough in 99.9% of cases. I think a lot of people go dual battery for bragging rights, or because they lose sight of the "mission drives the gear" continuum.

IMO, I agree with you but the jump-starter is a relatively new device and acceptance takes time, where the dual-battery systems are proven. And there are some that will think, "that's fine for a 4-banger but not for my rig".

For most, if they're going to adding equipment/circuit isolation, new fuses and relays, low-voltage cutoffs, and solar controllers, the complexity of adding a second battery is relatively minor. I'm sure there are electronics that can serve multiple of these functions. If not, maybe I will build one. :)

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
It is worth noting that a single group 31 has pretty close to the same capacity as a pair of group 34 batteries, as I have seen many folks running for their dual battery systems.

BJ'sFJ

Sequoia National Park June 19-21 REPORT Part 1

Just got back from another awesome road trip!
Headed out of San Diego at 4:30 AM and hit the road at a quick pace. The goal was to avoid traffic through LA and we did just that.

Made it up through the grapevine at about 7:15 AM. We were moving along at a nice pace.
IMG_8658.jpg

From there we were cruising along through some very boring areas. (sorry Bakersfield folks)
At around 10:30 We came into the park entrance.
IMG_8661.jpg

Making our way up the hill we decided to cruise to Buckeye Flats Campground. On the way in we saw a fire road/ trail access called "Middle Fork Trail"
The road was partially paved and was very tight. We made our way in and had some of the best views I've ever seen. It was nice knowing the commuter car wouldn't likely be up there.
IMG_8663.jpg

IMG_8670.jpg

After relaxing there for about an hour or so, it was time to make our way further into the park.
We decided that setting up camp early was the best option so that we could explore more afterwards.
IMG_8673.jpg

Camp set up at Dorst Creek Campground
IMG_8679.jpg

Had to go and hit the main tourist stops.
Tunnel Log
IMG_8680.jpg

Moro Rock was a complete Cluster****, So we decided to hit that on Saturday
The road back from Moro Rock.
IMG_8686.jpg

Ate lunch at Wuksachi Lodge and Headed to down the road for some more scenic stops.
A couple hours later we were back at camp and Headed up the Muir Grove Trail for a short Sunset Hike. Didn't take many photos along the hike.
IMG_8690.jpg

Fast forward to Saturday Morning. Forced myself to get our of bed at 5:00 AM. We quickly rushed to Moro Rock for a Sunrise Hike.
While there we ran into a Guy named Ryan. He was from New York and was visiting Sequoia and Yosemite for a few days. We chatted it up and waited for the Sunrise. The early morning rise was worth it!

IMG_8697.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

IMG_8710.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

More to come later! Have some more photos to upload
IMG_8722.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior