Blue Sea 6 Fuse Panel Install Question

SnoRnR

Hi,
I completed an install of a 12v DC to DC (Redarc) Dual battery setup today. I installed connections for solar and a 12v Anderson for a fridge. I installed a Blue Sea 6 fuse panel. My question is, can I wire the panel with the positive to the auxiliary connection 9 feet away from panel (Deep Cycle Battery) and the negative to the starter ground terminal 2 feet from the panel? I know in the past people used chassis grounds. I have grounded all connections at the batteries. I planned to run both positive and negative to the auxiliary battery however in my head the ground location should not make a difference in the system. The auxiliary battery is grounded directly to the starter battery negative terminal to the terminal.

I am trying to save running more cables from the other side of the engine bay.

rayra

Expedition Leader
weird / non-standard, but yes. Likewise your Aux negative going to the neg terminal on the starter battery. That works find too, electricity doesn't care, but if you want redundancy and are using identical batteries it's a better idea to segregate that stuff as much as you can.

And usually it's the fuse panel that is close to the battery it is connected to and the wire runs to the powered devices that are long.

But I'm certainly not the person to criticize oddball expanded wiring setups

Louisd75

Adventurer
I'm with @john61ct on this. I have an aux fuse panel located in the bed of my truck. The wire run is at least 10', probably longer with all the twists and turns it took following the factory loom. I would recommend a fuse right after the positive wire to your fuse block comes off the battery. I used something similar to this that was leftover from a different project:

I fused it at the maximum that the fuse block is rated for and went with a wire that can handle more than the fuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz