Blue Ox II

RU55ELL

Explorer
I've actually been sending out my resume to places in CO. I'd like to get out of the heat and move somewhere that actually has something other than flat.

soonenough

Explorer
I'd like to get out of the heat and move somewhere that actually has something other than flat.
x2. Houston is miserable right now. Working in the garage today was oppressive :yikes: And I think the most elevation change we have around here are the highway overpasses

RU55ELL

Explorer
I was putting brakes on my wife's car and hated my life while I was out there. Srsly.

Yesterday, while I had my truck in the garage swapping plugs, her car was outside. I pulled it back in when I was done and the temp gauge said 118*, no lie.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I definately liked the Old Blue OX better (1st gen 4Runners are near and dear to me ombviously) but boy does that new truck look GREAT mate... I love the Rhino-Lined flares and the ARB bumper. Plus it's a Toyota so... :D

Love what you've done already, and knowing how well you built her predescessor I con only imagine this new rig will be a great truck to replace her. PLus you've got to love being able to get out of your own way on the road... I've forgoten what a fast truck feels like ;) 4.10's 33's and a 22RE have a way of keeping the pace nice and slow eh HAHAHAHA

ANywho, love the truck mate.

Cheers

Dave

RU55ELL

Explorer
I definately liked the Old Blue OX better (1st gen 4Runners are near and dear to me ombviously) but boy does that new truck look GREAT mate... I love the Rhino-Lined flares and the ARB bumper. Plus it's a Toyota so... :D

Love what you've done already, and knowing how well you built her predescessor I con only imagine this new rig will be a great truck to replace her. PLus you've got to love being able to get out of your own way on the road... I've forgoten what a fast truck feels like ;) 4.10's 33's and a 22RE have a way of keeping the pace nice and slow eh HAHAHAHA

ANywho, love the truck mate.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks! Everytime I see clean 1st gens like yours and the others on here, it makes me think of what might have been if I would have kept it. But then I remember how hot it is here and how I didnt have A/C, as well as how much it was lacking in the streetability category.

You are definitely right, this truck felt like a Ferrari compared to the Blue Ox! :elkgrin:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yeah I don't get to use my A/C very often up here in Portland, but when I do I like having it for sure.... Course When I say she's slow...well it get's worse with the A/C on for sure HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I definatly have "Motor-Envy" of those newer trucks eh. HAHAHAHA. PLus they SOUND fantastic with a good set of muflers on them, nice and throaty... I love it.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I know how you feel, my 84 had a 22r, 31s and 4.10s and then I went to my V8 Tundra, it was like stepping into a rocketship!
HAHAHAHAHA Yeah I drive my Mom's TDI Jetta Wagon and it litteraly feels like my old Watter-Cooled VW's that caused me so much trouble with the law in years past. I get back in my 4Runner and just kind of enjoy puttering around. At least it's got good low-end torque like a truck should. I don't need to go fast in a lifted 4wd ;) but it would be nice to be able to get up and get her moving a little more eh. 4.88's are on their way so that'll help.

Sorry to Hijack your thread mate. let's get back to heapng praise on the Blue Ox II!!!!!! She's a fine replacement for another fine Toyota 4wd, and having her here on the Portal sure fancies this place up. Like I said I have MAJOR motor envy mate ;) AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Cheers

Dave

RU55ELL

Explorer
The winch arrived on 9/2 and I got to install it over the weekend. Of course, it wasn't exactly plug and play. The cables that connect the solenoid pack were too short so I had to build new longer ones. I went to my local welding supply shop and bought some 2ga wire and terminal ends. I put shrink wrap on the crimped ends.

The Warn cables (about 12-14" long):
4973366439_fd5bbb02cf_b.jpg

The ones I made:
4973984434_ee3b50ae66_b.jpg

4973984506_d4dbc050c7_b.jpg

Winch installed on the truck:
4973366711_d20ab174bc_b.jpg

The front end of the truck only dropped about 1/4". Ride quality didn't change a bit. I'm very happy, especially since I didn't have to drop another few hundy for OME stuff.

Last edited:

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
I was able to rebuild my old M8000 and had it come in at just under 60lbs when I was done. Using the synthetic rope dumps a lot of weight off the winch. The roller lead I rebuilt with the poly rollers and that again dumped a few lbs.

Set up looks great! Scored a hell of a deal on that winch, mine is 20 years old and it cost me more than that to rebuild it all my self. :Wow1:

RU55ELL

Explorer
Yeah, I am planning to switch to synthetic when the wire rope wears out , along with a hawse fairlead. For now, I am simply using what I have available.

I forgot to mention, I installed this with the bumper still on the truck. All I did was remove the spash guard of the bumper and lift it up into the bumper and got a bolt started while holding the winch up with the other arm. Once you get two bolts in, the rest goes quickly and very easily.

Lastly, the ARB manual states to rotate the housing 72 degrees CCW, but this still makes it hard to turn the clutch handle all the way around. It is best to rotate it one more bolt hole. Of course, at 72 degrees, it forces me to turn the handle halfway, then pop the hood to turn it the rest of the way. I guess it keeps you from forgetting to raise the hood while winching. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles