Blue Loctite vs. Nylock

highwest

What’s your preferred fastener method for keeping things secure (and serviceable) over lots of bumpy miles?

Just to head off any confusion, nylock is a one-time use type of thing just like loctite.

(y)

Ramdough

Adventurer
What’s your preferred fastener method for keeping things secure (and serviceable) over lots of bumpy miles?

Just to head off any confusion, nylock is a one-time use type of thing just like loctite.

(y)

I prefer the deformed aerospace nuts with anti seize.

Then nylocks, then locktite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If a specific torque reading / rating is needed, loctite. But I use a lot of nyloc nuts in a lot of places. I think they hold much better in low-torque applications.

Alloy

Most of what I do is stainless steel of which I've used thousands of nylocs and can't recall any coming loose even the ones I've re-used 2-3 times. In some places I'll use blue Loctite with nylocs

To keep the stainless nylocs from galling I use a product called Tef-Gel

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Much of my stuff is stainless as well. So I go nyloc, mainly because they hold and are not torque specific.

For vehicle based stuff that needs G5 or G8 hardware, properly torqued is enough.
Under a vehicle and non stainless, its only a matter of time before corrosion holds things together :D

Ramdough

Adventurer
If you are bolting through plastic, use nylock

Sometimes locktite will cause plastics to crack.

I have also use vibratite, I use that when threading into plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javajoe79

Fabricator
Generally nylocs but if something proves itself likely to loosen up, I'll add loctite. Blue or red depending on what I'm dealing with. Other options are safety wire and actual lock washers like nord locks.

MattF350

Observer
We use blue loctite at work, which deals with equipment to run 24/7 with a lot of vibration. Keeps its secured but allows us to work on it.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Yeah you definitely have to do it right and practice is needed usually. I rarely do it but sometimes it's the best approach.

I was a helicopter mechanic for 2 years and I messed my safety wire up so many times. But having a good inspector who makes you redo the bad ones will always help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior