Blower motor issues montero gen 3 limited.

jasonsuperb

Observer
Recently my ac drain got plugged and the water backed up and dripped onto the passenger floor. After reading a bunch of posts I was able to contort myself over the engine and stick a zip tie into the drain and free the clog and allow the water to escape. All was good with the world until a week later when the fan started to randomly turn off. Then it started acting like it was dying and making more noise than normal. Almost acting like it wasn’t getting enough power.

Today I pulled the blower motor/fan. And blower motor resistor and have no clue how to determine what is broken. Anyone have any ideas of how to test these?

5592fe90636c71d8cfb3b24862315e02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonsuperb

Observer
Recently my ac drain got plugged and the water backed up and dripped onto the passenger floor. After reading a bunch of posts I was able to contort myself over the engine and stick a zip tie into the drain and free the clog and allow the water to escape. All was good with the world until a week later when the fan started to randomly turn off. Then it started acting like it was dying and making more noise than normal. Almost acting like it wasn’t getting enough power.

Today I pulled the blower motor/fan. And blower motor resistor and have no clue how to determine what is broken. Anyone have any ideas of how to test these?

5592fe90636c71d8cfb3b24862315e02.jpg

Anyone?? I’m probably just gonna have to replace them both cause I have no clue which one is causing the problem.

Im sure someone else has got water in there from a clogged drain plug and had the same issue??

A new resistor is $280 from autozone. Not even the oem part. Which is crazy. Will have to try to find a used one. Sadly they are so rare near here finding one in a junkyard is a long shot.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
What does the fan do when you give it 12v?

Also hook up a volt meter to the fan motor connector on the resistor and check for stability as you flip through the fan speeds, make up some alligator clip extension leads so you can mess with it at least on the seat or floor that’s where I’d start. Also check the amperage draw on the motor and see if it is in spec. I think resistors normally die before motors but maybe if the motor is out of spec it can cook the resistor. To me, if the motor hums nicely at 12v, and isn’t overdrawing amps, it’s the resistor crapping out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles