BLM SEEKS COMMENTS ON PROPOSED E-BIKE TRAIL REGULATIONS until June 9th

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
BLM SEEKS PUBLIC COMMENTS ON PROPOSED E-BIKE TRAILS REGULATIONS

While USFS is not currently reviewing its e-bikes policy, the BLM is now actively in a review process.

Comments or concerns regarding e-bike use on BLM lands can be submitted through June 9

E-bike management on public trails has been a somewhat controversial subject. The BLM now is fully reviewing that proposed use and the public comment period will close very shortly, before the agency makes any final decision.

Their decision will of course also impact other trail users such as hikers, runners, horse back riders and human-powered mountain bikers.

To be fair, I’ve cross posted this notice on the E-Bike section of this forum too.

If you are a human powered bike owner, you may want to speak up now, while you still can.

General Website
Misc Info on E-Bikes

Last edited:

MTVR

Thanks. I don't think it's in anyone's best interests to allow e-mopeds on bicycle trails. They tend to tear up the trails and motor along at speeds far beyond their riding skill set.

billiebob

In BC, the e-powered bike has 2 categories. The bike which is pure e-bike and the e-bike which only assists if you are pedalling.

On the assisted drive e-bike the power shuts off at 18mph. And you MUST pedal to get that power. You control how much power/boost it provides and shift gears just like any regular bicycle.

But otherwise you are riding a motorbike with unlimited speed/power which is subject to every motorcycle registration, insurance, where you can use it bylaw.... or a handicapped wheel chair which almost lets you ride it into a grocery store.

I love this, but it is not an "e-bike" it is a motocross bike with e-power.

FRX1_-Studio_hotspots_v2.jpg

I think this statement is on the money...

" David Bernhardt’s call for the BLM and other Interior bureaus to expand access on public lands to e-bikes. E-bikes have small electric motors that help with pedaling, make bicycle travel easier for people with disabilities, younger children and people who aren’t experienced mountain bikers. "

I think the BLM is on the right track. Altho I don't agree with the younger children comment. I cannot believe e-bikes are currently illegal in the USA anywhere except on private land. What happened to the old fashioned gas powered mopeds of the 1960s? What were the regulations 60 years ago.

blob.jpeg

I'd love one of these..... no charging required lol.

Last edited:

MTVR

I think this statement is on the money...

" David Bernhardt’s call for the BLM and other Interior bureaus to expand access on public lands to e-bikes. E-bikes have small electric motors that help with pedaling, make bicycle travel easier for people with disabilities, younger children and people who aren’t experienced mountain bikers. "

People who have disabilities, younger children, and people who aren't experienced mountain bikers already have access to public lands, without having to use e-mopeds to propel them at speeds beyond their abilities.

That would be like having "e-shoes", to allow people with disabilities, younger children, and people who are not experienced NFL football players, to square off against a pro football team. That's not gonna end well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles