Blazer Chalet

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Serial #0151 built in 6/76, repainted from the original beige/burnt orange factory colors. The prior owners had done the 3/4 ton axle conversion and regularly used it to tow a big horse trailer.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I saw one of these in 1977 and almost bought it. At the time I was trying to get a 4x4 van.

The Chalet is the grand father of the Provan Tiger and the Earthroamer. Good ideas don't die.

TheJosh

Explorer
I saw one at a garage sale last weekend. I was kinda interested in it but when I saw the $4,000 price tag I wasn't anymore. It needed a lot of work

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
I saw one at a garage sale last weekend. I was kinda interested in it but when I saw the $4,000 price tag I wasn't anymore. It needed a lot of work
This one? It is another 3/4 ton axle conversion in process, if that's the one you saw, but regrettably the owner, a member of our Chalet forum, died in a car accident a few weeks ago.

TheJosh

Explorer
That's the one. I thought something was a little off when I was there, the people running the garage sale mentioned along the lines that the person that used to own all the stuff and so on. They were a little greedy on the prices they set for all his items (not including the chalet cause I don't know the value) I'm sorry about that news about him dying in a car crash, that's very sad and I'm sorry for his family, just kinda thought it was a little fast to unload all his stuff

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
That's the one. I thought something was a little off when I was there, the people running the garage sale mentioned along the lines that the person that used to own all the stuff and so on. They were a little greedy on the prices they set for all his items (not including the chalet cause I don't know the value) I'm sorry about that news about him dying in a car crash, that's very sad and I'm sorry for his family, just kinda thought it was a little fast to unload all his stuff
Yep, from the progress he was making in the photos he had at our forum, I was really surprised to first see it under a generic price at Craigslist, then on eBay, then at another Craigslist estate sale ad just last weekend. An email to the eBay lister confirmed the worst about the owner's status.

Since my parents live in a huge retirement community, I've seen the range of estate sale sellers who are relatives of the deceased, from still-traumatized to bizarrely indifferent to the handling of their relative's prized possessions.

If I have it right, he only paid around $3 grand for it in the first place, it was in Arizona and I saw it in person a few years ago, dusty and dry but not plagued with rust. It is serial #1041, built in 12/76. The value of his conversion work would have to be considered, but it being incomplete and missing original parts weakens or erases any collector value it would have. Prices vary widely for ones better suited for plain old camping use, depending on condition and how much it would take to get one into completely reliable daily driver/camper condition.

TheJosh

Explorer
I went to that garage sale just to see that truck, I mean it was really awesome (my vision picturing it restored) I wanted it but prefer to stick with what I know: Toyotas and subies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier