Blaspheme or Ode to History?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
My 109 had been resprayed red before leaving the UK and they did a horrible job. The previous colour was blue and I believe there might even be another colour underneath that. I have been contemplating a different colour as the red really does not appeal to me.

I recall reading blogs where overlanders (and I believe there were even a few threads here on ExPo) had difficulty based upon the colour of their rig. The Camel Trophy colour always seems to warm the hearts of people, no matter where you are from. Would it be considered blaspheme or an ode to history to paint my 109 the Camel Trophy colour? I'm not trying to recreate a Camel Trophy truck or misrepresent my 109 in any way. I just think it's a pretty dang cool colour.::)

viatierra

Explorer
Wasn't the red from the factory a US only color? If it was a UK vehicle then I don't think red would be correct anyway. Either way, its your truck (and I'm insanely jealous over the 109) paint it what you will... as long as you post pictures!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I too like Sandglow. Infact, when it comes time to paint my RRC project that will probably be the color I shoot. It's a 109, it'll look good no matter what color you choose!
Jason T.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
My paint advise on LR's is to to go with any single stage (no clear coat) non metalic color that floats your boat.

-Jeff

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Paint it whatever colour you fancy then stand backand look at it. Think - does this look like a military or government vehicle? If it does try and add stuff to make it look more civilian. Things like not painting the galvanized parts make it look more civilised compared to the military uniform colour for everything.

I would love to take my 101 GS downto Mexico but I just don't think it would be a good idea painted cabbage. I get the impression there are areas it would become a bullet magnet.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Paint it whatever colour you fancy then stand backand look at it. Think - does this look like a military or government vehicle? If it does try and add stuff to make it look more civilian. Things like not painting the galvanized parts make it look more civilised compared to the military uniform colour for everything.

I would love to take my 101 GS downto Mexico but I just don't think it would be a good idea painted cabbage. I get the impression there are areas it would become a bullet magnet.

That is sort of why I am leaning towards the Sandglow colour.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Would it be considered blaspheme or an ode to history to paint my 109 the Camel Trophy colour? I'm not trying to recreate a Camel Trophy truck or misrepresent my 109 in any way. I just think it's a pretty dang cool colour.::)

Blaspheme? Not hardly! Land Rover Series III 109s were used as the support vehicles for the 1981, 1982 and 1983 Camel Trophy events. The 109s were there to get the prima donna Range Rovers through the trip.

So yes a Sandglow Series III is legit.

ct88.jpg

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure Range Rovers were used as the support vehicles in 1981 and 1982 and were only used in 1983 in support of the 88's used as the team vehicles in Zaire.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'm changing my answer. You should paint it with that stuff that changes color depending on what angle you're looking at it. That would be coooollllll....
Jason T.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Sandglow can look like desert camo when in the right surroundings... especially if you go and paint the wheels etc the same also. It's a great color though and I do like it a lot, but if I wanted to distinguish myself as civilian rather than military I would probably go for a nice hot PINK or similar!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Pink? You could be mistaken for SAS....as in pink panthers....

Revor...Spinners? Word!
Jason T.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles