Blacked Out my LR3's Hood for an upcoming trek... Attempted to document the process in case anyone else was curious of a DIY Plastidip Job/Discussion

mass

Observer

I had significant issues with the paint not separating as smoothly as I'd seen in various other tutorial videos. I largely attribute this to only waiting ~2hours after my final coat before trying to remove the mask.
I patched up the area with a single coat, but I've highlighted my troubles in the video, with the hopes that you all don't make the same mistake I did.

Anyways, what tips do YOU have for a successful DIY Plastidip Hood Job?

I used a pre-cut version from Crawlorado and love it. I was going to do the plasti-dip, but then looking at the time, cost, and durability, I decided to go the pre-cut route. The Crawlorado kit has proven to be super durable over the last few years and does not scratch or tear. The downside is plasti-dip is so easy and inexpensive to repair whereas I would have to replace my entire pre-cut if I did cause damage to it. I used plasti-dip on my front grill (after picture was taken) for complete blackout and the fender trim with great success.

With that said, my experience with plasti-dip is to peel it right away, or as close to fresh as possible. I stuck to what the can said and cleaned the hell out of the surface, tack clothed it, and then sprayed the coats per the time and then peeled the tape immediately after the last coat was applied.

A couple tricks I've learned for seams is to lay dental floss in the seam and it cuts like a razor when it's pulled out. Another good trick is to use fine-line painters finishing tape. Its a vinyl tape that is designed for painting and producing razor-sharp edges when the tape is pealed. 3M makes it and it comes in various widths; I prefer the 1/8", 3/16", or 1/4" and have never needed a larger size. One of the biggest advantages is the sharp lines it makes for following curves and body lines. Fine-line tape is a bit pricey but well worth it to have to lay around for projects like this.

Last but not least, I checked out your other videos on YouTube and am now a follower of yours. I love the videos and would love to tag along on any trips you have coming up. I'm in SoCal now and Utah has been on the list, just need another rig or two as I do not want to go alone.

Cheers,

E

Crawlorado Hood Blackout
image.jpg

mass

Observer
That actually looks really great.
I'd also never considered the premium tape or dental floss. Awesome, thank you.

Yeah, I should've peeled it from the get-go. Next time, for sure.
And good to have you on board, I've got a fun summer project of traversing West to East (CA -> AZ -> NM -> TX) via an old Stagecoach route.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I did a 3M hood blackout like Victory and it came out well for my first time doing anything like that. Removing the window spray nozzles was the most complicated part of the operation. No bubbles, take your time and position it well. There are videos on youtube for this.
Thought about paint but went for vinyl instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94