black water

Mischief

We have a porta pottie but we're going to travel east and do some urban camping and need more holding capacity. I'm thinking about buying a couple more for the tanks and swapping them out. I thought about hanging a flat tank under the floor but even with an outside port to empty into it's a pretty complicated task in an existing build, and requires a
hose to empty. Surely someone else has solved this issue and I need some ideas please

44185626131_fce4117567_c (2).jpg

high-and-dry

I have one of the portable tanks, it has wheels. The what they have them set up is pretty good these days. Mine has a built in fitting for a spray rinse with a one way valve on it. With a short hose you could easily empty the porta pot in the large tank

Joe917

Explorer
The idea behind using a composting toilet for an expedition vehicle is to remove the blackwater and have extended use from the toilet by separating the #1 from the #2. You will not be "composting" and that is what confuses most people. A composting toilet is just a urine separating dry toilet. There are many acceptable ways to get rid of the waste. Our toilet does two adults using the toilet exclusively 4 weeks between solid dumps, plus or minus a week. Urine is dumped daily, 2 days max.
Look into it and ignore the word composting.
Natures Head or C Head. Stay away from anything that wraps in plastic or needs a liner.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
We have a porta pottie but we're going to travel east and do some urban camping and need more holding capacity. I'm thinking about buying a couple more for the tanks and swapping them out. I thought about hanging a flat tank under the floor but even with an outside port to empty into it's a pretty complicated task in an existing build, and requires a
hose to empty. Surely someone else has solved this issue and I need some ideas please
The idea behind using a composting toilet for an expedition vehicle is to remove the blackwater and have extended use from the toilet by separating the #1 from the #2. You will not be "composting" and that is what confuses most people. A composting toilet is just a urine separating dry toilet. There are many acceptable ways to get rid of the waste. Our toilet does two adults using the toilet exclusively 4 weeks between solid dumps, plus or minus a week. Urine is dumped daily, 2 days max.
Look into it and ignore the word composting.
Natures Head or C Head. Stay away from anything that wraps in plastic or needs a liner.
Exactly right. Composting as part of the name is misleading, though in the right conditions and you keep the peat moss or coconut coir that mixes with the solids long enough, it does turn to compost. Not very feasible for most adventurers to keep a bag of contents after emptying, especially if long-term wandering. Though some do and take it home to add to the compost pile for flowers and shrubs. It is easy to dispose of in safe ways, though.

I have a Nature's Head, and would bet that by the time you spend the money and time in a black water tank and associated plumbing and hardware, and installation, you'd be around the cost of a Nature's Head or Air Head, and eat up a lot more space. The black water tanks I've dealt with are not often flat enough for an installation like you might want.

Nature's Head is easy to install, requires no holding tank other than what is part of the toilet itself, and is overall a far more convenient solution than many others for on-board toilet. And no, because you are separating urine from solids, and the solids get mixed with peat moss or coconut coir, there is no smell like there is in conventional RVs from their toilet and black water tank. And NO messy hoses to mess with or finding dump stations.

The big advantage for me with a Nature's Head is that I can easily move it to an off-grid home, long term camp, etc with no fuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior