Black Series HQ21 trailer camper HQ - $89,999 (Chula Vista)

Vossabaja

Not mine, seems like a great off road camper...
Black Series HQ21 trailer camper HQ - $89,999 (Chula Vista)
black series.jpg

black series 2.jpg

Have they sorted the warranty transfer yet? I was trying to purchase an HQ on the secondary market and the warranty is only available to the new buyer, has this changed?

dhurley737

Its called " price gouging" Typical.
Totally. I remember being in Asheville for ExpoEast and you could have towed a new one home for like $50k...
Insanity. And losing any form of potential repeat customers...
Good for us in the secondary market a year or two from now when people realize they used it 3x last year @ a cost of $20k/night.

Davi Florea

Caveat emptor.... do your research if you are at all interested in these.
Caveat emptor (/ˈɛmptɔːr/; from caveat, "may he beware", a subjunctive form of cavēre, "to beware" + ēmptor, "buyer") is Latin for "Let the buyer beware".[1] It has become a proverb in English. Generally, caveat emptor is the contract law principle that controls the sale of real property after the date of closing, but may also apply to sales of other goods. The phrase caveat emptor and its use as a disclaimer of warranties arise from the fact that buyers typically have less information than the seller about the good or service they are purchasing. This quality of the situation is known as 'information asymmetry'. Defects in the good or service may be hidden from the buyer, and only known to the seller.

Davi Florea

Alibaba is advertising camper units by the thousands, mass-produced ready to ship. I don't want to trash a product or price but its too bad that some of the cost savings could be passed on to the consumer. When we say "how much?" the response is, "How much can you give!" Formula for a bubble?

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Size primarily without getting to other details other than red tubing doesn't automatically make a worthy off road trailer.

Agree, partially. The larger Black Series rigs are not like our previous AT Chaser and current AT Teardrop that could follow our Jeep, on 37's, to 90% of the places the Jeep could navigate.

That said, our HQ-19 has proven to be fairly capable- for its size. We don't hesitate to take it "off pavement" and drag the HQ-19 on any moderately difficult and/or steep trail as long as the rocks and steps are smaller than 12"-14", there are no tight/narrow spots, and the trail provides adequate traction. (traction is king when pulling a heavy trailer)

As stated, these trailers ARE heavy- GVWR is 8.900 lbs- and way less maneuverable than a smaller trailer. If you aren't careful, you can get yourself into a pickle that makes for a difficult self-extraction. Compared to when we are pulling our teardrop, we are much more thoughtful and deliberate when choosing which trails to tackle with the HQ-19. Even going up an easy trail, the HQ-19 is like dragging an anchor uphill. :) Even with its limitations, our HQ-19 has allowed us to access camping spots that are much more remote than I would be comfortable taking a similar sized trailer with less robust suspension, lighter frame construction, and less ground clearance. The biggest advantage we see for these larger trailers, is the ability to access and enjoy semi-remote areas in comfort. (Especially true when inclement weather sets in- indoor shower and head and indoor cooking. Our main issue with our teardrop, and the AT Chaser, was lack of area to weather out a storm. We once spent about 24 hours in the tent of our AT Chaser waiting for weather to clear. We've found that camping, in the wet soggy conditions, is much more difficult- even when the tent platform is elevated or the sleeping area is enclosed.)

And yes, we are in agreement on the red bars. We don't rely on the "red bars" to protect anything. They definitely aren't a heavy rock slider that can be used to pivot the trailer around large rocks/obstacles. We view/use them more as a limb riser than a rock slider.

In the end, seems all our overlanding equipment selections requires some kind of compromise. I've yet to find any piece of equipment that is cheap, light, provides ease of use, is indestructible- no matter the abuse I subject it to, and flawlessly performs independent of operating conditions and/or operator ignorance, etc. :)

Enjoy the rest of your day and safe travels!

WOODY2

Adventurer
Agree, partially. The larger Black Series rigs are not like our previous AT Chaser and current AT Teardrop that could follow our Jeep, on 37's, to 90% of the places the Jeep could navigate.

That said, our HQ-19 has proven to be fairly capable- for its size. We don't hesitate to take it "off pavement" and drag the HQ-19 on any moderately difficult and/or steep trail as long as the rocks and steps are smaller than 12"-14", there are no tight/narrow spots, and the trail provides adequate traction. (traction is king when pulling a heavy trailer)

As stated, these trailers ARE heavy- GVWR is 8.900 lbs- and way less maneuverable than a smaller trailer. If you aren't careful, you can get yourself into a pickle that makes for a difficult self-extraction. Compared to when we are pulling our teardrop, we are much more thoughtful and deliberate when choosing which trails to tackle with the HQ-19. Even going up an easy trail, the HQ-19 is like dragging an anchor uphill. :) Even with its limitations, our HQ-19 has allowed us to access camping spots that are much more remote than I would be comfortable taking a similar sized trailer with less robust suspension, lighter frame construction, and less ground clearance. The biggest advantage we see for these larger trailers, is the ability to access and enjoy semi-remote areas in comfort. (Especially true when inclement weather sets in- indoor shower and head and indoor cooking. Our main issue with our teardrop, and the AT Chaser, was lack of area to weather out a storm. We once spent about 24 hours in the tent of our AT Chaser waiting for weather to clear. We've found that camping, in the wet soggy conditions, is much more difficult- even when the tent platform is elevated or the sleeping area is enclosed.)

And yes, we are in agreement on the red bars. We don't rely on the "red bars" to protect anything. They definitely aren't a heavy rock slider that can be used to pivot the trailer around large rocks/obstacles. We view/use them more as a limb riser than a rock slider.

In the end, seems all our overlanding equipment selections requires some kind of compromise. I've yet to find any piece of equipment that is cheap, light, provides ease of use, is indestructible- no matter the abuse I subject it to, and flawlessly performs independent of operating conditions and/or operator ignorance, etc. :)

Enjoy the rest of your day and safe travels!
You just made my case. CJ5, fartsack, a tarp, jerky and some thing to drink gets you down the road.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
I wouldn't take it off the pavement.
Size primarily without getting to other details other than red tubing doesn't automatically make a worthy off road trailer.
You just made my case. CJ5, fartsack, a tarp, jerky and some thing to drink gets you down the road.

Sorry, I thought we were discussing Black Series Trailers. I didn't realize we were discussing travel options that require less equipment and is less expensive- of which there are many that don't require anything other than being relatively mobile, a bit of cardio fitness, and very basic, inexpensive, equipment.

We've been where you are, done that-less the CJ5- but aren't interested in returning. We are over sleeping on the ground or in the back seat, bathing in creeks, alternating wearing 3 sets of clothes for a 10 day stretch, eating dehydrated food, hiking through the mud for a day after a rain, etc. Could we go back? - sure. Will we go back? - unlikely.

Again- best of luck and safe travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94