Black Series HQ Tips, Tricks, and Learning.....

kevin_j

"Wow, @HQ15fan , glad you gave it a try and shared your results! @PSea and I are thinking along the same lines. I want to install some amateur radio equipment, too, so I might end up installing some conduit inside so that I can route some of that wiring around to where I want it as well."

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this problem. I'm considering a weather proof junction box on the rear somewhere, then running LMR400 in conduit under the chassis and up into the charger/inverter bay. I'm primarily using cell modems with Yagi's. My ideal situation is two unidirectional mounted up top on the rear wall, but I'm super super nervous about running screws in to anything on the body. Any of you have any ideas on that?

HQ15fan

Kevin, not sure what you're trying to do. Install a cell phone booster system? Which would need an external antenna (the Yagi you mentioned) and an internal antenna (facing away from the Yagi). Hence you want to get cable inside the camper? Or did I get it all wrong?

adventr

Adventurer
Not sure where the big Black Series thread went, but I had my write-up on mods in there... Hmmmm.

Anyway, I've done a whole lot to my HQ12. Will try and dig up the pics and do another write-up in here if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 20190411_191725-2.jpg
    20190411_191725-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 257
  • 20190413_074525-2.jpg
    20190413_074525-2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 238
  • 20190413_141128-2.jpg
    20190413_141128-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
  • 20190414_073939.jpg
    20190414_073939.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 216
  • 20190414_121624-2.jpg
    20190414_121624-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 213
  • 20190421_131039-2.jpg
    20190421_131039-2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 217

sobiloff

We were washing and waxing our HQ15 last weekend and discovered some tape over the front roof seam has completely deteriorated. Is this tape from the factory (anyone else have taped roof seams), or was this added by the dealer? We want to replace it if necessary before the winter snows come. My wife thinks bitumen tape is the ticket, but I'm curious if that's best for campers?
IMG_0390.jpg

theluckyone

We were washing and waxing our HQ15 last weekend and discovered some tape over the front roof seam has completely deteriorated. Is this tape from the factory (anyone else have taped roof seams), or was this added by the dealer? We want to replace it if necessary before the winter snows come. My wife thinks bitumen tape is the ticket, but I'm curious if that's best for campers?
View attachment 544291
I've heard this has been a problem on the HQs and you're not the only one experiencing this; according to the local dealer I talked with who mentioned this issue too. Try some aircraft speed tape, expensive but should do the trick for the long term; buy it at Sportys.

hopp150

Hi, I just purchased an new HQ15 here in Phoenix AZ and I have a few questions. I'm curious, have any of you upgraded tire size or are you staying with the stock size? Have any of you hooked up the Anderson plug on your tow vehicle? If so, did you just go straight to the battery? And last but not least, I saw in an above post that someone may have drained their batteries by leaving the fridge on. Am I correct in assuming that when I turn off the main power switch above the TV that this turns off power to the fridge?

sobiloff

Congrats on your purchase, @hopp150 ! I'm staying stock with my tires, and haven't played with the Anderson plug yet. (Need bigger crimpers if I want to build cables that'll work with that size plug!) That was probably my post about draining batteries—I'm guessing I left the fridge on, but I'm not positive. That main power switch should turn off everything, including the fridge.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks for that tip! I fixed that with a battery booster. That booster will take a voltage as low as 9V and convert it into anywhere between 12V and 13.8V (user settable). I set it for 12.8V. The booster I used is this one from MFJ, bit of an overkill as it can handle 25A, but I know it works. If you decide to use the same booster, make sure to read the manual and configure it correctly. There are several options you can set with jumpers. I'd be happy to help.
Nice . Could you post up a link or the name and spec of the battery booster? Thanks

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Not sure where the big Black Series thread went, but I had my write-up on mods in there... Hmmmm.

Anyway, I've done a whole lot to my HQ12. Will try and dig up the pics and do another write-up in here if anyone is interested.
I'm think of getting a HQ-12. Have you had any issues with it?

HQ15fan

Hi, I just purchased an new HQ15 here in Phoenix AZ and I have a few questions. I'm curious, have any of you upgraded tire size or are you staying with the stock size? Have any of you hooked up the Anderson plug on your tow vehicle? If so, did you just go straight to the battery? And last but not least, I saw in an above post that someone may have drained their batteries by leaving the fridge on. Am I correct in assuming that when I turn off the main power switch above the TV that this turns off power to the fridge?

Congratz! I stayed with stock tire size, the trailer is already more than capable off road, I expect my tow vehicle to bottom out before the HQ15 will. As for the Anderson plug, it goes directly to the battery (well with a 50Amp breaker in between). you could hook it up to the tow vehicle, but what for? The solar panels will keep the batteries charged. If you park it indoor, just hookup the 110V and turn on the inverter (don't forget!) so that the batteries get charged. Did your trailer come with two or four batteries?

BTW this is the right Anderson connector, in case you want to make your own cable and connect it to the trailer:

Yes, the main power switch above the TV turns off the fridge too. The things it doesn't turn off are the inverter, the propane/CO detector, the anderson pole plug, and I believe (not 100% sure) not the fan motor for the heater either (but will have to double check).

Have fun! Be happy to help answer any question.

HQ15fan

Nice . Could you post up a link or the name and spec of the battery booster? Thanks

Hi!

I used this one, but it is probably overkill. I had it sitting in my garage, not being used. You can dial in exactly the output voltage you want..

A much simpler, and less expensive, solution is this:

The only thing I would worry about a bit is that its output is 13.8V, and that might be high for the motor if you run it for a long time? That is why I went with 12.8V output. There are fixed DC-DC converters that output 12V, but that is probably not enough to keep the fan from shutting itself off due to too low airflow. I am probably paranoid about the 13.8V, as charging voltage is ~14.4V, and you can still run the heater at that voltage. Anyways, up to you to decide :)

HQ15fan

I've heard this has been a problem on the HQs and you're not the only one experiencing this; according to the local dealer I talked with who mentioned this issue too. Try some aircraft speed tape, expensive but should do the trick for the long term; buy it at Sportys.

Hi! Did you mean this?

hopp150

Congrats on your purchase, @hopp150 ! I'm staying stock with my tires, and haven't played with the Anderson plug yet. (Need bigger crimpers if I want to build cables that'll work with that size plug!) That was probably my post about draining batteries—I'm guessing I left the fridge on, but I'm not positive. That main power switch should turn off everything, including the fridge.
Perfect, thanks for the info. I think Ill be switching tires pretty soon to a higher load range.

theluckyone

Hi! Did you mean this?

No, I was referring to speed tape. It's looks like silver duct tape but playable aluminum on one side and very sticky on the other. Aircraft use this as temporary fixes for engine cowlings, gaps, etc. so it can handle extreme temps, speeds, and UV. Very durable, just expense; prices vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles