Black Series fire hazard

Anon_Tech

I'm an RV service technician, I won't say where because I'm making these posts on my own and am not representing them in anyway.

I've discovered a very serious electrical issue in quite a few Black Series units. No link between models or years, I've seen them in '19, '20, '21, and 2022, and models like HQ15, HQ17, HQ19, and HQ21's.

All of the unit's I've looked at have main AC distribution panels that are wildly out of code and extremely dangerous. Most of them have the wires entering loosely through a roughly cut hole in the box, with the wires rubbing the metal and damaging the insulation. I've seen some with breakers rated for more than triple what the trailer is rated for. Some don't have proper ground bars or lugs. Some even have nonsensical and dangerous connections in the box. I could get picky with NEC and find a good dozen violations in them.

All of the issues I have found are extremely dangerous. I've seen ground wires melting, main supply wires with damaged insulation and exposed conductors, loose wires, outlets with no boxes, and plenty of other things.

These all pose a very serious risk of fire, and could easily cause damage, injury, or death. The manufacturer has been made aware of these issues but is doing nothing to alert customers of the danger here. I've filed a few individual complaints with the NHTSA, but it will take more than a handful of complaints for them to investigate the matter.

If these problems are as widespread as they appear then a national recall needs to be issued. I'd like to ask all owners to inspect their units. With the trailer unplugged from shore power, you can remove the 2 or 4 screws securing the cover to the breaker box. If you see these issues please post photos here along with the trailer VIN. I'd also strongly suggest you file a complaint with the NHTSA, and contact Black Series about these issues.

I've attached a few photos of the problems, and will be cross posting this on multiple forums. Here is a link to file an NHTSA complaint.

Attachments

• 20220203_102438.jpg
    20220203_102438.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 302
  • 20220211_153950.jpg
    20220211_153950.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 308
  • 20220228_155632.jpg
    20220228_155632.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 308
  • 20220131_101936.jpg
    20220131_101936.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 284
  • 20220131_102122.jpg
    20220131_102122.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 257
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 20220128_165548.jpg
    20220128_165548.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 249

Anon_Tech

As a side note, I posted this on iRV2 and the post was almost immediately flagged as "inappropriate". Looking at the main forum page it appears they are sponsored by Black Series. Interesting coincidence.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 90

SuperSolarDude

I'm an RV service technician, I won't say where because I'm making these posts on my own and am not representing them in anyway.

I've discovered a very serious electrical issue in quite a few Black Series units. No link between models or years, I've seen them in '19, '20, '21, and 2022, and models like HQ15, HQ17, HQ19, and HQ21's.

All of the unit's I've looked at have main AC distribution panels that are wildly out of code and extremely dangerous. Most of them have the wires entering loosely through a roughly cut hole in the box, with the wires rubbing the metal and damaging the insulation. I've seen some with breakers rated for more than triple what the trailer is rated for. Some don't have proper ground bars or lugs. Some even have nonsensical and dangerous connections in the box. I could get picky with NEC and find a good dozen violations in them.

All of the issues I have found are extremely dangerous. I've seen ground wires melting, main supply wires with damaged insulation and exposed conductors, loose wires, outlets with no boxes, and plenty of other things.

These all pose a very serious risk of fire, and could easily cause damage, injury, or death. The manufacturer has been made aware of these issues but is doing nothing to alert customers of the danger here. I've filed a few individual complaints with the NHTSA, but it will take more than a handful of complaints for them to investigate the matter.

If these problems are as widespread as they appear then a national recall needs to be issued. I'd like to ask all owners to inspect their units. With the trailer unplugged from shore power, you can remove the 2 or 4 screws securing the cover to the breaker box. If you see these issues please post photos here along with the trailer VIN. I'd also strongly suggest you file a complaint with the NHTSA, and contact Black Series about these issues.

I've attached a few photos of the problems, and will be cross posting this on multiple forums. Here is a link to file an NHTSA complaint.

The second, and more so the third photo just made me cringe. The jumper on the main breaker that has the line literally wrapped around it astounds me! That photo alone genuinely has me angered right now.

Anon_Tech

Here is another unit I found this week.

Attachments

• b9b7acc3-54a6-47fa-adca-f53adcdb6f59.jpeg
    b9b7acc3-54a6-47fa-adca-f53adcdb6f59.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 198
  • 43d7df36-0b51-4541-987e-ef6cd5947dc0.jpeg
    43d7df36-0b51-4541-987e-ef6cd5947dc0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 206
  • a4d0a591-2f5c-41a5-be95-ce3862070065.jpeg
    a4d0a591-2f5c-41a5-be95-ce3862070065.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 199

Anon_Tech

As a side note, I posted this on iRV2 and the post was almost immediately flagged as "inappropriate". Looking at the main forum page it appears they are sponsored by Black Series. Interesting coincidence.
They seem to be taking this issue seriously

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    234.1 KB · Views: 185

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Thank you for the post. I was looking the the Black Series, and I was just not willing to deal with this type of issue. I also found out the the company is a big bully to people that hav3 complaints. I just bit the bullet and ordered a Kimberley.

Wendell-R

Given the tight, right-angle bends in the wires in the boxes, I'm thinking that they're using solid wire, not stranded as I don't think stranded would hold that shape? I'm assuming that RV's are the same as boats where the ABYC doesn't allow solid wire because the vibration will eventually cause fatigue and breakage? Maybe it's different with a trailer which has no engines?

My trailer has stranded and tinned "marine-grade" (Ancor, I believe) wire everywhere - even the stuff I added after I got it. Also, crimped connections as twist-on wire connectors will also eventually cause problems just like they would in a car.

bshinn

FWIW, I purchased a Crux 1610 in 2019 (also China manuf) and had the same type of issues. The entire AC system was using US spec 60Hz components and Romex for the cable. Just about the same quality level shown above. I suspect either the importer or dealership performed the work.

Ended up stripping the entire AC system out and carry a small 750 watt inverter for the few occasions in need 120VAC.

Grassland

What are they even trying to accomplish with the two pole 30 in the first post?
Does not make a lick of sense to me.

SuperSolarDude

What are they even trying to accomplish with the two pole 30 in the first post?
Does not make a lick of sense to me.
Since its just a 120v system, if only one side is hot, only half the breakers would have power. Bridging the 2 pole 30 lets you have 120v on both legs of the breaker box. They do make buss bars to bridge the gap and the example shown in 1 doesn't look too bad. Photo 3 is on another level of jerry rigging.

Grassland

Thanks guys
Yeah I doubt that cable can handle the current.
I also like how despite all the knock outs they just hacked holes into the panel.

WanderingBison

They seem to be taking this issue seriously

Aside from the potentially very serious risk you raise that the community should be made aware of, I was also struck by how ironic it was for “site staff” from the other forum to be taking what they feel was appropriate action for a post, that was among other things, made by someone anonymously to have signed their decision anonymously themselves…

Forum communities are sadly starting to be “administered” with less interest/integrity towards their community and more towards their commercial interests.

Thanks for at least allowing our community to do some investigation on their own, especially for those owners who may have units in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anon_Tech

I've seen a few different boxes and different style breakers across all the units. It seems they just grab a small lot of whatever is cheapest and use that until they run out. I was amazed by how poorly cut some of the holes are. Someone straight up hit em with an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel.

Oh and I've gone ahead and contacted the state fire Marshall's office where I live, as well as in CA where these are "manufactured"

If y'all can think of any other places that this could be reported to please let me know.

Anon_Tech

Aside from the potentially very serious risk you raise that the community should be made aware of, I was also struck by how ironic it was for “site staff” from the other forum to be taking what they feel was appropriate action for a post, that was among other things, made by someone anonymously to have signed their decision anonymously themselves…

Forum communities are sadly starting to be “administered” with less interest/integrity towards their community and more towards their commercial interests.

Thanks for at least allowing our community to do some investigation on their own, especially for those owners who may have units in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I could almost understand their stance had my post been more vague and didn't have all the info it did. With all of the details and photos though I think it's pretty obvious and I'm not an angry owner complaining and/or lashing out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz