Black Series fire hazard

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Yes I noticed that also. For sure over loading the axles is definitely a factor. I have wondered what the logic might have been. Only thing that made sense was to reduce road quality abuse on the trailer ie reduce the chances of cabinets and other stuff getting knocked loose. On my race boat 1300lb in full rigged everything needed mode I actually by design removed the 3000lb leafs and put 2000lb leafs on the trailer to reduce the road abuse to the hull. Everyone that races sailboats also take trailer bunks and their locations super serious. I have seen rookies literally crush their hull simply cranking too tight on the rear cargo strap. The axle weight rating being higher than needed can really beat a trailer and its gear to pieces. So the Rpod thing could be a little hedging bets to keep the trailer from being shook to pieces.

(Speaking off topically) Reading about your speed boat gives me a warm, humorous image of your “100 year old” grammy sitting in the back, smiling, hair flying in the breeze as you motor local waters with her !?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
(Speaking off topically) Reading about your speed boat gives me a warm, humorous image of your “100 year old” grammy sitting in the back, smiling, hair flying in the breeze as you motor local waters with her !?
Sail boat. Only speed boat stuff I run is tenders to big sailboats. 5-6 knots up wind 12-14knots down wind on a 20ft hull. My big boat racing experience I’m a foredeck guy, the crazy guys that run around on the pointy end and even go up the mast while racing thats me. Hitting 20’s even mid 20’s on 80’s-90’s designed boats is very typical. I haven’t raced on a foiler yet but 30-45knots looks pretty epic.

Have done big water stuff SF to Oahu race, lots of SF to socal stuff which have been the most brutal and knarly conditions I’ve ever seen. 50-60 knot winds and 30+ foot seas. And yes in those conditions we are throttle to the wall pegged for 30-50 hours non stop.

My little racing boat bay and lake racing both crewed and solo. For a few years my best crew was my Doberman. He became pretty well known loved racing and knew how to move on the boat and sit on the rail. Occasionally he would talk ********** with competition getting too close?

Grandma has sailed on my race boat and my slow cruiser. She likes the race boat?

Climbbike6

I prefer a smaller size rig overall and while an outdoor kitchen is nice, most of the point of a camper for me is escaping inclement weather so I would like to cook occasionally.
High Altitude makes a smaller rig with an outdoor kitchen. It is their XT50.

VinmanP

Yes they had several and had issues with all of them. However!!! Taxa is very popular with first time trailer anything people and I would bet a percentage of their axle issues are poor towing skills related.
Actually, the 2021 Cricket trailers were equipped with faulty Lippert Torsion Axles. The “issue” was the ride height of the trailer dropping as much as 3 inches over the first few months of ownership. Lippert and Taxa have been working together to replace all the impacted axle units. Was pretty dodgy for a while with customers having to wait months for replacements, and apparently at least a few of the replacements were also from the faulty batch. Only the ‘21 Crickets were so equipped.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Actually, the 2021 Cricket trailers were equipped with faulty Lippert Torsion Axles. The “issue” was the ride height of the trailer dropping as much as 3 inches over the first few months of ownership. Lippert and Taxa have been working together to replace all the impacted axle units. Was pretty dodgy for a while with customers having to wait months for replacements, and apparently at least a few of the replacements were also from the faulty batch. Only the ‘21 Crickets were so equipped.
Many Mantis trailers had axle issues also, I nixed them when the prices nearly doubled and the axle failures started. The price doesn’t match the quality only prices and sells for its unique style and simplicity which makes it less likely ie fewer typical rv issues.
The recent high winds in various regions has triggered a number of Taxa posts about blown out tent tops from surprise wind storms lol. Velcro can only do so much

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Many Mantis trailers had axle issues also, I nixed them when the prices nearly doubled and the axle failures started. The price doesn’t match the quality only prices and sells for its unique style and simplicity which makes it less likely ie fewer typical rv issues.
The recent high winds in various regions has triggered a number of Taxa posts about blown out tent tops from surprise wind storms lol. Velcro can only do so much

You hit the nail on the head with the Mantis. Cool layout and like the simplicity but kind of heavy for being so simple in finish. If the Overland was like 43k ish I may have taken my chances with one.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You hit the nail on the head with the Mantis. Cool layout and like the simplicity but kind of heavy for being so simple in finish. If the Overland was like 43k ish I may have taken my chances with one.
I was starting to get serious about it right before the pandemic but hated they skipped the rear hatch so didn’t buy. $32,000-$36,000 was the going rate????. When I saw 40+ I tossed the Mantis idea into the rubbish bin. After getting some time to really mess with a 2022 overland I’m really happy I skipped it. 30k mehh ok its an interesting alternative to a tent and having a trailer to carry stuff. 40+ hell no

VinmanP

I haven’t read any Mantis axle reports, so I was unaware of that.
I do think Taxa is on the cusp of pricing themselves out of the market - even without the quality control issues.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I haven’t read any Mantis axle reports, so I was unaware of that.
I do think Taxa is on the cusp of pricing themselves out of the market - even without the quality control issues.
Totally priced out and I was thinking 40k cash was an option pre covid. I put it on hold and now looks like my lake house with dock might be an option with prices dropping and inventory soaring and lake levels crappy lol. Which means I’m happy to shift my trailer shopping to 27-29foot party barge for my lake house assuming next 14months or so the RE thing gets real?.

bnjmerrill

I'm an RV service technician, I won't say where because I'm making these posts on my own and am not representing them in anyway.

I've discovered a very serious electrical issue in quite a few Black Series units. No link between models or years, I've seen them in '19, '20, '21, and 2022, and models like HQ15, HQ17, HQ19, and HQ21's.

All of the unit's I've looked at have main AC distribution panels that are wildly out of code and extremely dangerous. Most of them have the wires entering loosely through a roughly cut hole in the box, with the wires rubbing the metal and damaging the insulation. I've seen some with breakers rated for more than triple what the trailer is rated for. Some don't have proper ground bars or lugs. Some even have nonsensical and dangerous connections in the box. I could get picky with NEC and find a good dozen violations in them.

All of the issues I have found are extremely dangerous. I've seen ground wires melting, main supply wires with damaged insulation and exposed conductors, loose wires, outlets with no boxes, and plenty of other things.

These all pose a very serious risk of fire, and could easily cause damage, injury, or death. The manufacturer has been made aware of these issues but is doing nothing to alert customers of the danger here. I've filed a few individual complaints with the NHTSA, but it will take more than a handful of complaints for them to investigate the matter.

If these problems are as widespread as they appear then a national recall needs to be issued. I'd like to ask all owners to inspect their units. With the trailer unplugged from shore power, you can remove the 2 or 4 screws securing the cover to the breaker box. If you see these issues please post photos here along with the trailer VIN. I'd also strongly suggest you file a complaint with the NHTSA, and contact Black Series about these issues.

I've attached a few photos of the problems, and will be cross posting this on multiple forums. Here is a link to file an NHTSA complaint.

Have a look at this. I needed to grab one of the RCA leads from the power antenna and opened the box for the AC receptacle. This is what I found for how they carry the ground through the entire circuit. One ground conductor wrapped around the one connected to the receptacle. Is this legal within any code? I ended up going through the whole trailer to properly connect the ground. 2022 Black Series HQ15.

Attachments

• IMG_7165.jpeg
    IMG_7165.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne