Black Scorpion trailers

toymaster

Explorer
Does anyone have any knowledge of this brand? I did a search on the forum and nothing came up. I found it while doing an internet search on off-road trailers, hadn't noticed it before.
https://www.blackscorpion-offroad.com/

It seems like a great option for a TJ or earlier model of jeep. Light weight and an appealing design that also appear to be rugged. Seems a lid is not an option, guess that's not a big deal in southern california. I gather from the website and u-tube video that it is another one-man operation. @$4,300 with no tire/rims not to bad to get a person into a decent trailer.

If anyone has good or bad to say about this brand post it....

A little off topic:
A word about the 2k lb axles. I have found that a 2K suspension works better for my usage. My trailer was built with 3.5K axle and springs but since I have removed some of the leaf springs to get ~2K spring rate. The fastest way to beat a trailer up is to have it over-sprung. With a JK (2 door) I don't really want to pull more than 1-1.2K lb anyway. Even on a larger trailer I would say the best setup is 3.5K spindles, bearing, and brakes along with 2K springs.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Jeep and trailer from PA trip.jpg

1. I'm sure it is solid and well built for what it is. Seems a little pricy though for what you get.
2. I've done a little traveling pulling a small trailer behind a Jeep. It's all about cubic feet (length x width x height). This Scorpion's trailer tub isn't very tall, and there isn't a lid option. If you're also going to use the trailer for something like a lawn service, then a lid isn't an issue. When I redid my trailer, I made sure I had a tub with a locking lid. Trying to cover your gear with a tarp is a PIA and it'll still leak.
3. A 3500lb axle can still give you the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, and you have the option of electric brakes. My trailer sometimes tries to tell my Jeep which way to go; I now have electric brakes. I also bent the spindle on the previous axle (however, it was only rated at 1500lbs); I don't think I'll be able to hurt this new axle.
4. Axles and suspensions are two different things. You can have a 3500lb axle and have "softer" springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior