Black Pine - Pine Deluxe 6 - Turbo Tent

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
It was a very difficult decision to make... parting ways with our Eezi-Awn RTT. For us, it was more than just a "tent"... it kept our family sheltered, safe, warm, dry, and made our LC shine. Most of all, it provided all of that and many memorable nights camping. We were now in the market for a ground tent that could maintain the same standards, along with our main priority for a ground tent... being easy to set up and stow. OzTent, Jet Tent, Kodiak, and Springbar were among the tents we were considering. We chose a Black Pine - Pine Deluxe 6 - Turbo Tent that we purchased from Costco. To be quite honest we are going out on a limb with this tent as there are very few reviews that are available or pictures of the tent in actual use. With Costcos open arms return policy and a savings of ~ a hundred less than the best internet prices it was a no brainer for us. This tent might not have an ExPo following, but I think it'll do just fine.

IMG_2695_zps50718253.jpg

Waterproof ripstop canvas material construction. Notice the zippered cord port. The floor is pvc material? It's not the thickest and you'll definitely want to use a ground tarp or mat to help protect it from puncture. Can't remember how thick the Oz or Jet floors were in comparison.

IMG_2691_zps98331fd1.jpg

IMG_2693_zps647d9812.jpg

Boys miss the RTT, but camping is all that matters anyways.

IMG_2697_zps89e1f158.jpg

Entrance unzips on left and right sides and has Velcro along the whole bottom portion and rolls up, screen unzips and rolls to the left. Dual zips and velcro secure tabs on all.

IMG_2698_zps30e664ef.jpg

IMG_2699_zpsa15fb653.jpg

The tent itself is waterproof the rainfly adds additional protection to the top of tent that is most vulnerable to water intrusion. Multiple zippered and secured guy lines at every corner. Rain fly clips in at four corner and provides coverage at entrance.

IMG_2702_zps94030143.jpg

IMG_2703_zpsf8a87def.jpg

IMG_2706_zps6c2470f3.jpg

Multiple interior storage pockets, dual screened windows, dual roof vents, and lantern/gear ring at top.

IMG_2707_zpsbef4c6c7.jpg

Ample head space for room for 4 people.

IMG_2709_zpsc869a33a.jpg

IMG_2711_zps66286a53.jpg

IMG_2712_zps11791226.jpg

The poles and Turbo joints are of high grade aluminum construction providing light weight sturdy construction and ease of use.

IMG_2721_zps8ff94dbd.jpg

IMG_2713_zps7f09acbe.jpg

IMG_2717_zpsa65fe7d0.jpg

IMG_2718_zpsb6af7fea.jpg

IMG_2720_zps378bab71.jpg

Closed all windows, vents, and front access for wetting of the tent. Spraying down of the tent before initial use allows the tents thread to swell in its seams and help identify any water intrusion hot spots. After a good 45 minutes of spraying down I was anxious to see how it held up... On the outside the tent beaded and wicked the water very until it just became soaked. I made sure to spray under the rain fly to simulate worst case scenario. On the inside I was very pleased to see only a couple of small drops. I felt it held up very well to the spray test I put it through and it dried off completely in under an hour. As per the Black Pine reps I spoke with at Costco, this is a 4 season tent... I'm not completely sold on that until I personally camp in it during a good snow fall, but I think this will do just fine how we normally camp. Stay tuned as we put this tent through some use.

racehorse

Adventurer
Looking forward to what you find out. I pulled the trigger on a black pine also from costco after months of wrangling/comparing RTTs, oz, springbar etc. I had the same conditions - up fast, down fast, canvas. My only quibble is that it takes a bit of wrangling to get back into the bag but I'm not the best tent folder in full disclosure. Let me know if you come up with interesting tips or advice on uses/aesthetics of the black pine.

Curious - I have been struggling with the idea of why/why not get a RTT and of course for various reasons have not so far. What made you decide to go ground tent? Family size?

Honu

lost on the mainland
how much were they at costco ?

at least two folks have them here on expo from the tent threads :)

ln310

And which Costco in SoCal did you go to? Did they have one set up? I'm looking at a Jet Tent but can't find one anywhere to see first before purchasing. Bass Pro sells them online only.

Salue

Adventurer
I also purchased this tent from Costco last year but ended up returning it. I just wasn't willing to let my tent take up that much space in the rig when packed up. Good choice if you have the room!

Cheers,
Salue

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Looking forward to what you find out. I pulled the trigger on a black pine also from costco after months of wrangling/comparing RTTs, oz, springbar etc. I had the same conditions - up fast, down fast, canvas. My only quibble is that it takes a bit of wrangling to get back into the bag but I'm not the best tent folder in full disclosure. Let me know if you come up with interesting tips or advice on uses/aesthetics of the black pine.

Curious - I have been struggling with the idea of why/why not get a RTT and of course for various reasons have not so far. What made you decide to go ground tent? Family size?

racehours, After our first use we concluded that its a lot easier to set up and stow than our previous RTT, it's a lot more spacious, it held its own against the howling Mohave wind. I'm not sure anyone would ever be able to fold it up like it was when first removed from the bag, as we were taking down the tent I had wife hold the collapsed frame upright while I did my best to triangular fold the floor and wrap it around the frame. Thankfully the canvas bag is large enough to hold the tent even while bundled loose. After our first use a couple of things that I'll do for the tent will be to get a 10'x10' outdoor carpet for the inside, get a 10'x10' ground tarp, and heat shrink all zipper tabs that rattle against each other.

I love the idea of a RTT... that said, I felt we just weren't using it enough to justify it, the sale of the RTT would help pay for other things. Like the Black Pine.

how much were they at costco ?
at least two folks have them here on expo from the tent threads :)

Honu, They were $569. Make it three now.

And which Costco in SoCal did you go to? Did they have one set up? I'm looking at a Jet Tent but can't find one anywhere to see first before purchasing. Bass Pro sells them online only.

Cypress Costco and they had a 6 person set up just like mine. I looked at the Oz and Jet tents at ExPo 2012 and both were very very nice. Just a lot more money.

I also purchased this tent from Costco last year but ended up returning it. I just wasn't willing to let my tent take up that much space in the rig when packed up. Good choice if you have the room!

Cheers,
Salue

Salue, I recently sold my Baja Rack so no space up top and thought that there was no way this tent would fit width wise in the cargo area of the LC, guess what... it does. I did have to relocate my spare back it's original home though.

racehorse

Adventurer

Sorry for the late reply. I think you got some answers but a tip for you. If your costco doesn't have it locally ask the manager to search for it at other costcos in your area and they can tell you where and how many they have. Costco is like a giant upscale swap meet every week - you don't know what they are going to have but for some reason they always have something cool you think you need - like a black pine tent.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Black Pine Turbo Tent in use at Mid Hills campground

With a solid weekend of camping behind us using our new Black Pine Deluxe 6 Turbo Tent, I can now confidently say that were more than satisfied with the quality and construction of this tent. Thankfully we didn't experience any rain, but the tent did hold itself strong throughout the nights very blustery wind. The guy lines all held tight and taught while anchored with the heavy duty steel stakes and the awning never once collapsed under the gusts as well. We were all able to get a good nights sleep by being able to stretch out and have our own space. Set up and take down was very quick and very easy, exactly what we were looking for.
A great tent for an awesome price.

trailscape

Explorer
Anyone encounter this issue with their Turbo tent?

IMG_20130924_161702.jpg

I last used this tent a month ago while camping in Rocky Mountain National Park. I unpacked it the other day and the locking cams were covered in white powder as was the canvas. There appears to be some significant corrosion kind of like you'd get with a really old battery. It still worked fine, but they were a bit lose. I'm not sure what might have caused this other than possible condensation (we kind of got a lot of rain lately).

I'm kind of shocked though as I spent a month on the road with this tent with a week in Oregon/Washington and another week in Glacier in Montana where it experienced tons of rain without issue.

I have used my turbo tent in some wet weather, but always dry it before storing. I've noticed the pole hinges get stiff and I use some silicon lube to allow the pins to work correctly. However , I have not noticed and corrosion like this. I'd contact Black pine..

trailscape

Explorer
I have used my turbo tent in some wet weather, but always dry it before storing. I've noticed the pole hinges get stiff and I use some silicon lube to allow the pins to work correctly. However , I have not noticed and corrosion like this. I'd contact Black pine..

I thought it was unusual that it was only on the locking hinges. I'll see if I can get in touch with black Pine about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier