Black Mountain Trek, CA (3/31-4/2) Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErrinV

Observer
Congrats! We just bought our first house in August and we're still unpacking. Great feeling though.

Scott, I thought I could make this, but it looks like I'll be doing a motocycle trip to the Otay Mtn area that weekend.

Errin

mcvickoffroad said:
I will be unable to attend.:(

But the good reason is that we will be moving into our new-to-us, and first! house!:clapsmile :jumping: :jump:

Best of luck to all going
Have fun and be safe!

:beer:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Sorry San Diego guys, no carravan here...

I PM'd Scott to let him know I couldn't make it for family reasons.

:mad:

+ d

Adventurer
Bummer, sorry you won't be able to make it bryan...

we'll have to plan for another local trail run soon.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Well, I am afraid I too will have to back out of this one. :(
Hopefully someone else will jump in...it looks like it should be a fun one!

Best of luck all! :wavey:

Ed

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
DaktariEd said:
Well, I am afraid I too will have to back out of this one. :(
Hopefully someone else will jump in...it looks like it should be a fun one!

Best of luck all! :wavey:

Ed

Dang... I was looking forward to seeing your new trailer... there's always next time!

On a side note: My wife is going to be coming along on this one, and it is our anniversary on 4/3 and would like to do something special for her while on this trip. Being the typical guy I have no clue what to do to make a long lasting memory.

Any good idea's? Post them HERE to not Hi-Jack this thread

Last edited:

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Scott,

Let me suggest a more appropriate route for this group into the Picacho State Recreation Area, instead of the graded, washboard Picacho Rd. Exit I-8 4.9 miles further west at Ogelby Rd. (S34) & head north approximately 11.7 miles to Hyduke Mine Rd. & take a right. This is a 2 track, 4wd road which intersects Picacho Rd. 2.1 miles before the State Rec Area. It used to be signed at Ogelby Rd. & is marked on the AAA Imperial County map. It is marked as A278 on the BLM "Yuma" map. If I remember right you may even have to use low range in a couple of spots.

FYI. If I'm not mistaken, the 4S Beach Camp is for boat camping only.

Depending on my departure time for Baja, I may come spend Saturday with you all.

Al

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

As I said in my Post #27............

I would like to join you all!

As I type.....my truck is STILL in the shop (since Feb. 21st!).

I'm being honest about it.....and don't want to reserve a spot if I can't get my truck out by then. That would mess someone else up.

Unfortunately....I'm dealing with a lying shop owner who continues to make poor choices due to his lack of reason! Ultimately he is going to spend a $1.00 for every nickel he tries to save!

Anyway!

I still would like to join you all!

Hey!...........Here is an idea! If my truck is not ready by then....I could rent a Hummer H3........!!!!!!!!!!

We could do a write up on it!

Now will you have me>?!!!!:ylsmoke:

(oh great!.....now I read Avis won't have their H3's until May 23!.....has anyone seen that guy Murphy following me around!!!)

Kewl Link to CO. River Kayak Trip with area Maps.

.....found a kewl pic of the P. Park

picacho_031224_03s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

+ d

Adventurer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
....I could rent a Hummer H3........!!!!!!!!!!

i have seen wranglers sitting in the lots at a few of the rental car companies down here around the airport...:D

come to think of it i know there is one on PCH that has H3's...

lemme know i'll scout some out for you mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

+ d said:
i have seen wranglers sitting in the lots at a few of the rental car companies down here around the airport...:D

come to think of it i know there is one on PCH that has H3's...

lemme know i'll scout some out for you mark

Hey David.......Thanks!

Lemme Know!

I'm serious!

I don't mind renting! ......and I would enjoy trying out the H3.

I saw that Avis was advertizing H3's on TV......but then after I posted.....I checked their website and it says H3's due late May. I have a local Avis shop and thought how easy to just pick one up! In fact....they have even picked me up before!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Found this neat bit of info on the Park's Websites I thought I would share:

Archeological evidence indicates that Indians have lived along the Colorado river and throughout the vast reaches of the Colorado Desert for thousands of years. In historic times it was the Quechan people who lived along this part of the river. Picacho Peak played an important part in their myths and legends. They crossed the river on logs and rafts. The Quechan also planted and harvested maize, beans, squash, gourds and other crops in the moist silt of the river bottoms. Legend, general mythology and certain kinds of moral instruction were passed along from generation to generation by means of narrative song-cycles. The historical record notes that the Quechan gave great importance to dream experience, were generally outgoing, friendly, enthusiastic, and capable of great feats of endurance.

Spanish explorers, under the command of Coronado, penetrated this part of the Colorado River Basin in 1540. However, the first attempt to establish a permanent settlement and mission, La Purisma Concepcion at Yuma, met with disaster when Indians rose up in 1781, destroyed the mission, and killed all of the Spaniards including Father Garces.

Gold is said to have been discovered along the Colorado River as early as 1862. In 1890 a large stamp mill was built close beside the river at Picacho. Shortly afterward, the Picacho Mine was opened in the Picacho Basin area and a narrow gauge railroad began hauling ore from the mine to the mill. In 1904, the town of Picacho boasted a population of 2,500 people. Throughout this time the river itself was the major transportation route into and out of this desert country. A number of large, steam-powered, paddlewheeled ferryboats continually worked their way up and down the river. Today little evidence of this epic, early-day activity is visible. However, just east of the campground and park headquarters the ruins of the Picacho Mill building can still be seen. A one-mile trail takes visitors on a self-guided hike to this historic site.

That might be a cool hike depending on how close it is to camp :camping:

Wil

+ d

Adventurer
regrettably i won't be able to make this trip...:(

i was seriously looking forward to it. even spent last weekend in the cold and rain installing my new aussie locker at my dad's place (that whole thing ain't working out either but that's a story for another post).

hopefully there will be another opportunity to meet up with you guys in the near future.

:campfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior