Black Footed Ferrets! AZGFD Capture

Ala5ka

VX'er
Sorry about the big pics

Yeah you heard it, I will be heading to Seligman AZ tomorrow to help capture tag and release black footed ferrets of which there roughly 1000 wild left in 8 wild breeding colonies. Now I like ferrets as much as the next guy (not that much) but I was promised fine PDog, coyote, and shed hunting.

Jumping_black_footed_ferret.jpg

So here I am with my rifle loaded in the VehiCROSS, the cooler stocked, and roof tent remounted. I have my box of GoPros along ready to mount to vehicles or rifles so I'll get you guys some of that.

945175_359776714122986_1926499374_n.jpg

First trip since my wife and I drove the length of the west coast from the Arctic Circle to MexiCali.

1233521_410091962424794_152418537_n.jpg

So tomorrow I embark in what I believe is the only Overland equipped Isuzu VehiCROSS to Prescott to pick up my hunting buddies and I will hopefully keep you guys updated over the next three

What would you guys like to see in pictures from this trip?

Wainiha

Explorer
More of the rig. I like Ferrets so more of those too, please.

If you're shooting other animals I want to see the dinner recipe.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I've done the ferret count in Seligman a couple times - always had a great time.

Trapping doesn't end until daylight, so take coffee. Every time we've been out, we have traps set early, so we didn't have much time for anything except spotlighting & trapping. There wasn't really any time for photography, etc.

One bit of advice - test the traps when setting them. The first year we had one jam (open), so even though we could see the ferret in the trap as we approached it (eye shine at the end of the trap), he (she?) was able to back out and leave us empty handed.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Thanks for the advice, I haven't been up all night since college. I think I will consist on a diet of smokeless tobacco, caffeine, and beef but I couldn't find any cocoa leaves :/

TACTICALJEEP

Observer
OMG my wife is crazy about those little critters...like ok crazy, not dazed and confused, high all the time, doesn't shave her legs hippie ferret loving crazy. please provide more info before/after your trip about the organization your with, locations, etc.

as soon as she sees this thread, I'm sure she'll have me start prepping the XJ

look forward to more info!

Ala5ka

VX'er
As goodtimes said we did not really have too much time to stop, prep GoPros and take pictures while we were out at night so there are no ferret capture videos or even pictures of our prized little critters but there are plenty of others. We found 8 ferrets as a group, got shot by a rogue skunk in the AZGF barracks and encountered an angry badger we thought to be a ferret.

IMG_2352_zps96d4aa22.jpg

Shed hunting on 108 ridge west of the campsite Coconino wilderness

IMG_2349_zps76d632ba.jpg

beautiful light and some Magpul FDE (not my jive)

IMG_2350_zpsdb81aa18.jpg

Our friends Franklin, Robert, and Samuel no sheds found just dead things, Franklin smells to high heavens, made to ride outside.

IMG_2392_zpsaea34e53.jpg

Camp FR108 Coconino, nice General Tire pose

IMG_2391_zps2b7496f8.jpg

Franklin riding tail gunner, on Dogtown Lake picking off some P-Dogs with the 17HMR

Ala5ka

VX'er
IMG_2367_zps7f1f20cb.jpg

Officer Nichols responding to a report of men with guns in a field, ended up taking Franklin because there was still flesh present. Ended up leaving us with a new friend, good p-dog tips, and flattered he wanted my autograph after recognizing me from my reality TV show (Wild West Alaska Animal Planet)

IMG_2390_zps6323b00d.jpg

artsy shortwave shot, listened to the BBC World broadcast and tribal music till dark

IMG_2373_zps9a2943f9.jpg

named this the tool tree axe, Sven saw, SBR, and Suppressed 22...p-dog nightmare

IMG_2389_zpsaf8a8382.jpg

turns out northern AZ is volcanic, haven't seen this stuff since leaving the ring of fire

IMG_2387_zps2f8d46ed.jpg

beer+fire

IMG_2356_zps2df7d5e5.jpg

SvenxGransfors Bruks

Awesome weekend even saw the super OJ Trek Disco (apparently that TReK is owned by LR...still on the hunt for the awesome Dsico if anyone has tips) in Prescott possibly and some sweet Vanagons from Sweden.

Lessons learned:
Bring more hunting stuff less glamping stuff
need chuckbox stat!
park opposing high wind
ferrets, badgers, gila monsters and campmates will bite
leave no meat on Franklin unless you want to never see him again
1/4 mile from main road to shoot but passers bye will tattle on you

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member