Black Beast Pt II - 2001 4Runner SR5

City_Rider

Adventurer
very nice 4runner!!
Thanks!

Very nice looking rig! Looks like a nice set up. Probably the coolest runner i've seen yet.
Too kind. Knowing that I keep vehicles for long periods and don't flip them I knew I had to get the platform correct as it would see copious amounts of money thrown at it. I can say I'm still super happy with the 3rd Gen 4Runner and how it has taken to the modifications I've done to it. Every build is a sum of the individual parts and I am very happy with how it has all come together!

City_Rider

Adventurer
LED's at night

Hood pin latch mounting on the radiator support

ARB Fridge
This is a 'in progress' picture - I'll take some more now that it's fully secured in this place.

Last edited:

City_Rider

Adventurer
The girlfriend and I decided to head out on a bit of a road trip / vacation as I had not really left the house in a couple years (besides going to physio!) and so the time came with her having time off and the 4Runner being completely set up for whatever we could throw at it. And throw we did!

The adventure started off calmly enough - we packed up our items and left the house, only to realize we had forgot a lightning cable at home and charging both iPad and iPhone was going to be tricky. Not to worry, a stop at my parents and my kind Mother let me borrow hers. No issues so far!

We loaded up the 'kids' and hit the road! (Sadly, Lucky - the little brown dog, wasn't able to come...)
DSC_0784_zps15bi85ph.jpg

We usually get along great, and even promised not to kill each other!
DSC_0792_zpsuaqcz0xn.jpg

DSC_0796_zpshxaidnwx.jpg

The 4Runner is washed and ready to hit the road!
DSC_0799_zpszetvwmrn.jpg

After passing Longview and while doing ~110 km/h a sneaky bambi decided she had had enough of this sad, sad world and committed death by 4Runner. I was obviously a bit rattled at having hit a deer not 100km down the road from my house by after a road side assessment I figured that there was no 'real' damage and that the bumper and stinger had done its job and kept bambi out of my headlights. Sadly, this wasn't the case as I had to use a couple rounds of JB weld (one temporary and one permanent) to salvage the housings and keep the projectors relatively aligned.

Half decent picture of the oncoming mountains as we drove on HWY 22 South (pretty sure...)
DSC_0808_zpsrpw6sf3k.jpg

Luckily I was prepared with the JB Weld Kwik and used a stop at the top of the pass to complete my temporary repair (without removing the headlight). It was half decent but I did keep getting flashed with the headlights on, indicating the light was far out of alignment. The dogs managed to keep themselves busy!
DSC_0816_zps6dtkqx1s.jpg

DSC_0843_zpssoydmyc9.jpg

DSC_0883_zpsnndcname.jpg

While Georgia (the girlfriend) had driven the 4Runner in short stints, this was her first encounter with twisty roads and having the vehicle fully loaded - being a good driver it didn't take her long to begin to 'feel' the road and drive to the vehicle's ability and not necessarily be concerned about the lines (when it's safe to do so). The 4Runner appreciates long corners! While in the passenger seat I was able to take some decent shots while rolling through the valleys.
DSC_0909_zpsvno3vylo.jpg

DSC_0944_zpshpsdwpef.jpg

DSC_0971_zpstbjw9wt9.jpg

Osoyoos really opens up in front of you as the ridge crests.
DSC_0980_zpshrczm05y.jpg

Not to mention the twisty roads that lead you down the mountain side and in to the valley. Don't mind the random bugs on the windshield!
DSC_0982_zpso9ja7gap.jpg

Out of Osoyoos and back in to the mountains looking at snow capped peaks.
DSC_0020_zpshs0rnan7.jpg

Downtown Vancouver - not the best parking lot but it was a busy day and the backdrop wasn't too shabby. Unfortunately I'm 'over height' and received a ticket for it... bugger. You'll also notice that the 4Runner is a Lightforce Striker 170 short. That damn bambi took him out and I was lucky that my custom satoshi grill wasn't badly damaged. Of course the front quarter panel was also massaged back in to a position close'ish' to the original - I'll still need to source a replacement. Total damage from the deer is: Lightforce Striker 170HID, clear corner light, driver side quarter panel, driver side light lower valance. As mentioned, I was able to complete a reasonably good repair of the light at one of the upcoming stops (Alice Lake) and so the bucket / projector retrofit was saved. I am now mulling over some additional protection for the quarter panel to avoid any damage if this were to occur again - perhaps the stinger will be moved over some and then tied in to the sliders.
DSC_0061_zps3rkxhq8g.jpg

From Vancouver it was off the Whister and the Sea to Sky highway. Certainly makes for some beautiful views and nice driving. Can't imagine it with the old roads such as pre-olympics!
DSC_0088_zpswqu6nuam.jpg

DSC_0102_zpseo08td4j.jpg

Some very sharp rock walls, completely covered in netting for protection.
DSC_0123_zpsd1lguvka.jpg

DSC_0165_zpsz61ij7uq.jpg

The snow capped peaks of BC - I'm not sure which mountain this is... close to Whister though as this is on the way there.
DSC_0167_zpsruoas5as.jpg

DSC_0172_zpsahmmgmbd.jpg

City_Rider

Adventurer
Over to Alice Lake for a nice quiet camp site - just us and the ducks.
DSC_0205_zpsvldv3giu.jpg

DSC_0210_zpsfpiiuccc.jpg

British Columbia sure has a wide variety of vegetation - this is my random 'artsy' shot of the trip.
DSC_0225_zpsgkigjums.jpg

And of course, more snow capped peaks. Shot across the vehicle as Georgia continues to drive. She was a champ for the drive out and gave me breaks whenever I needed. Cruise control is my friend and it wasn't possible for a large portion of the trip!
DSC_0251_zpskdzowvez.jpg

DSC_0230_zpsefpe3ov6.jpg

While coming back down from Whistler we had time to stop at Shannon Falls. Beautiful spot and only a stones throw off the highway.
DSC_0253_zpsihjjg9im.jpg

DSC_0267_zpsck3yvbtd.jpg

DSC_0272_zpsq9hajc5l.jpg

After driving back down to Horseshoe Bay, we grabbed the ferry off to Nanaimo and began our island journey.
DSC_0315_zps7sfj5tlg.jpg

DSC_0325_zpseykibjq9.jpg

We / I wanted to go to the west side of the island and not knowing exactly where to go, I picked out Juan de Fuca and headed that direction. Unfortunately, China Beach was closed and we had to back track slightly to get back to French Beach. While back tracking I was able to get this show late at night, one of my favourites.
DSC_0347_zpsrnqk6fch.jpg

At French Beach we had a great spot and spent some time at the beach with our four legged friends. They had been so good the days before and were super happy to have multiple hours of fun at the beach. The best 'kids' we could ask for.
DSC_0365_zpsieot73e5.jpg

DSC_0398_zps9e7vwtx0.jpg

DSC_0468_zpspxuzy01x.jpg

DSC_0490_zpsxrxvrzu0.jpg

DSC_0501_zpsaxfhhq4g.jpg

DSC_0532_zpsaonr8avf.jpg

DSC_0591_zpsyiaib27m.jpg

DSC_0594_zpsflrt6dbn.jpg

After the fuzzy friends had 'had their fill' we (okay, I...) decided I wanted to go back up towards China Beach and get a good shot of the 4Runner on the beach at Jordan River. Oh, let the fun begin. Getting on the to beach there was a considerable 'ditch' in the beach (which was basically all river rock) and so the lockers came on to help get me out of the nose planted situation I was in. The unfortunate part comes where the front locker engaged - but did so while spinning and thus, 'loaded' the front locker - aka '**** now it's stuck on'. Not cool man, not cool. Lesson learned. You may be in a crappy situation that requires using the front locker but really, you should anticipate this and engage it before hand! Engaging it in 'the heat of the moment' leads to overlooking the detail of ensuring / double checking / triple checking the locker is on before assuming it is. Vice versa for off!

All in all, it was a bit of 'fun' getting the locker to come off. Lost my first CV in the process while climbing a cement barrier at full lock (okay, at this point I was trying to break the CV just so I could drive around / home) and it appears that while breaking the CV, the locker also disengaged! Huzzah! If all I lose from this little fiasco is a CV then I've come out lucky - ugh - I don't want to lose my gears to something 'dumb' like this so soon after investing in them. I have yet to drain the front differential but I do believe it's fine... rotates smoothly (as in the CV stub sticking out of the diff does rotate on its own and freely) and I drove home with it (1300 km) and had no issues. A couple days of recovery have served me well, I should be able to tackle this project tomorrow.

On to the sweet, sweet beach shots!
DSC_0624_zpsrupuzsi6.jpg

DSC_0627_zpssiqxzxbt.jpg

DSC_0632_zpshvj3djxu.jpg

DSC_0649_zps7iacc9rs.jpg

DSC_0676_zpsh5c56v3j.jpg

City_Rider

Adventurer
The best part of the day was our end destination - back around to Nanaimo and through to Ucluelet. A fantastic view and room awaited us - pet friendly and thankfully set up with a dog wash!
DSC_0742_zpslkafq571.jpg

DSC_0765_zpszluelrri.jpg

DSC_0768_zpsnqynuhni.jpg

Once again, the kids were taking over the place (as per usual, making the room their home) and we were able to take some great pictures of our friends (mainly the photogenic blonde, Arwen) while staying in our room.
DSC_0783_zps29kztpje.jpg

DSC_0972_zpsx7k0stnw.jpg

DSC_0995_zpsenqvz2dn.jpg

DSC_0002_zps5w3emjok.jpg

DSC_0961_zpsscnpgcwc.jpg

Right close to the Wild Pacific Trail and multiple beaches. Our 'kids' loved having quick access to the water and trails.
P4231433_zpsk8igtbkz.jpg

P4231455_zpsvulbonih.jpg

DSC_0890_zpsf5se0lkh.jpg

DSC_0865_zpsipomaxre.jpg

The fantastic view was always eye catching.
DSC_0979_zpscfqlflzd.jpg

How could you stay in Ucluelet / Tofino and not go whale watching?!?! Our day on the water yielded some cool photos and a quick trigger managed to capture a mother and calf spout! Gray Whales are migrating this time of year and we tagged along with mom and baby for a while!
P4241560_zpskrcc6zus.jpg

P4241582_zpsscnffuxo.jpg

P4241715_zps0tfewdgy.jpg

There is a small lighthouse in Ucluelet - also made for a good foreground to the waves behind.
DSC_0018_zpsrjbtmxhx.jpg

While taking a small hike along the trail this view presented itself - too irresistible to ignore.
DSC_0044_zpsphm4aitb.jpg

Also to be seen while visiting Ucluelet is the Ancient Cedar grove - there are certainly some giants to be gazed upwards at.
DSC_0071_zpsbpv9r6kq.jpg

All adventures must wind to an end at some point - our journey home began by getting back to Nanaimo and the ferry to the mainland. The weather being much nicer this time, I was able to take some nice photos of the passing scenery.
DSC_0091_zpsma2gbkdd.jpg

Certainly kept Georgia entertained.
DSC_0113_zpsjpwtkmpb.jpg

The pups were tuckered out and ready to go home as well.
DSC_0120_zpst35rp0wb.jpg

When we arrived back on the mainland we hit up Milestones in Burnaby (pretty sure it was Burnaby...) for the end of the Flames game and were fortunate enough to watch the Flames advance to the second round! Of course our desire to camp one more night was waning as the night wore on and so we decided that I would load up on caffeine while at dinner and begin the adventure home that night. A long 12 hours of driving later and we had landed back at our cabin, safe and sound.

The 4Runner was used and even abused on this trip, I certainly didn't plan on using it to the extent I did... but hey, what are adventures for. Can't wait till the next one.

City_Rider

Adventurer
Looks like a fun trip! Finally putting some miles on that thing, good to see.:smiley_drive:

It was a long time coming. Thanks. It felt amazing for around 100km - then I hit a deer. Heart sank right there. At least it all seems to be working out, a '01 4Runner showed up on Kijiji for a price I couldn't turn down - it's even colour matched!

Should be a good donor for a fender, couple doors... Parting it out and hopefully it will see new life in other rigs.

Or maybe as a V8?? I have a lead on a '03 Tundra with the 4.7L and after paying for premium gas on this last adventure I am eyeballing the V8 swap. Ugh. I would take it slow and blast and powder coat this frame I think... Wow does it ever send my imagination racing though. If I ever wanted to build 'resto-yota' this would be the time...

Are there any parts off of a '03 Tundra you could use? It's green with a topper...

City_Rider

Adventurer
And now I have a long term project!
Use the wiring harness from this:
IMG_4996_zpsslvie9oa.jpg

and use the wiring harness and engine and trans (and maybe transfer case) from this:
IMG_4999_zpssxs6crqa.jpg

to make the V8Runner. Because... well, V8!

Junkwhale

Hey, I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but was wondering if you can provide some info on how those recaro's are fitted. I've found what look to be an identical pair locally, so would be keen to see how you've mounted them and what's involved.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior