Black Bear Pass in a Ram 3500 CC SRW w/ 37's, is it Possible?

ttengineer

Adventurer
I've got a Ram 3500 SRW on 37's and I am considering a trip out to Ouray. I need to know if Black Bear is driveable for my truck. I've heard stories of guys with DRW doing it but no pictures or actual first hand accounts.

So, can it be done?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I wouldn't want to do it. What's your wheelbase? Having done it in my 80 series Land Cruiser and in our old FJ Cruiser I can tell you that a 111" wheelbase vs a 105" wheelbase made a big difference. The Land Cruiser took a few more backup and pull forward moves to make the sharper turns after the ledges. Up to the top and down to that point it would be no problem but negotiating the switchbacks is no joke.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I'm more concerned about the width than my length. A 10 point turn is no big deal if I can fit between the tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'm more concerned about the width than my length. A 10 point turn is no big deal if I can fit between the tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The width isn't a big deal, might be a little nerve wracking on the ledges section, and a couple of narrow spots on the switch backs. The turning radius is what makes it breaks it though below the ledges where it turns into a one way route. I think our 80 made a 4 point turn but due to the steepness of the switchback and the narrow width I was using the entire amount of space I had and on at least one turn, airing out one of the wheels in the process. You would at the very least need some good spotting.

andy29847

Adventurer
The pass is one way from the top down to the power plant/waterfall. It is 2 way again after that. I drove part of the way up to the power plant from Telluride in my Chevy 3500 dually. Even the turns down low were hard for me to make. Also, there was a lot of traffic, both vehicles and hikers. I was causing a traffic jam so I turned around.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Man, I sure wouldnt want to do it. I'm sure some guys are crazy enough though.

As mentioned, 2 way traffic starts at the top of Bridal Veil Falls to the bottom and those switchbacks are not as tight as BB. We were in a 4runner in October and a guy in an Expedition tried to get to the top of the falls and was having issues...granted...old guy not sure of his driving skills but he ended up back at the bottom of the falls. There was also a sportsmobile parked there but I dont know if he ran BB or not.

The problem with the 10 point turn idea is that there are spots where even doing a 10 point your tires are going to be almost off the edge at that length. It IS awesome though....

20161007_150230_zps1ais9pu5.jpg

20161007_151524_zpsndxv06es.jpg

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The pass is one way from the top down to the power plant/waterfall. It is 2 way again after that. I drove part of the way up to the power plant from Telluride in my Chevy 3500 dually. Even the turns down low were hard for me to make. Also, there was a lot of traffic, both vehicles and hikers. I was causing a traffic jam so I turned around.

Pretty sure it is still one way from just above the ledges. I have seen people driving back up to the top from there both times I have done the pass. There was a sign there still last time I drove it.

krazytoy

Adventurer
I didn't read the previous post, but the short answer is yes. I have been over it several times in full size rigs and it is plenty wide enough if you are a coherent driver and used to a full size rig.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Ever year BBP get easier now days many stock SUV do it all summer long.
You truck will make it no problem as mentioned you will be doing some 3 possible 4 point turns on a couple switch backs. If you are comfortable wheeling your truck you will enjoy it.

Tons of youtubes with full size trucks doing BBP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles