BJ74 Land Cruiser - Overland Journal's Project Vehicle

Advmoto18

Observer
The Fall18 issue had an excellent article regarding storage solutions for several vehicles including the BJ74.

The BJ74 article was written by Chris Cordes, and as always, provided excellent information.

However, as the owner of a BJ74, I truly wish writers would offer more details regarding equipment they choose for specific vehicles. It would be very nice to know the exact model of a product used in a specific vehicle. It would take out the "guessing" element by those of us wishing to purchase and install the equipment in our vehicles of same make and model.

For example, I'd like to know the model and size of the ARB Outback Solution drawers and components installed in the BJ74. A call to ARB wasn't any help. They weren't familiar with OJ's BJ74 project and didn't have "fitament" information on the BJ74 Land Cruiser. Same for the Tuffy Box. I suspect it is the 6.5" model. But what mounting hardware was used in the BJ74?

I understand and realize there is only so much space in a magazine. Perhaps a OJ article-expanded information "pinned" section in the forum is warranted.

Thanks to the folks at OJ and here for a great magazine and forum.

fireball

Explorer
Is this article online and if so would you be so kind as to share a link?

Fellow BJ74 owner here.

I'm building my drawer storage power center custom but always like to read about others solutions.

Most times, the writer relies on second hand information, which can be wrong or just lacking. Have you tried contacting the magazine or the writer?

A good friend of mine is a magazine writer and we often discuss the content. I lean heavily towards tech content, with do it yourself writeups, but he often reminds me that I am a specific audience and they can't make any money selling magazines to guys like me alone. They certainly do it in the street rod and muscle car magazines though, so I wonder what the difference is.

I would contact Overland Journal and ask them for the information you're after. They might just have it, and if they don't, the will know that it's important info to share next time.

Advmoto18

Observer
Chris Cordes is a great writer and reviewer. He often replies to posts on this forum.

If I'm not mistaken, this web site/forum is owned by Scott Brady, owner and publisher of Overland Journal.

Sadly Overland Journal articles are not available online.

Yet, it is an excellent publication and worth ever penny IMO.

Sadly again, the warm bodies (writers) associated with OJ are rarely, if ever, in the home office in Prescott, AZ. And I don't think their email addy is published. Scott Brady does not accept private messages on this forum. And, I stopped by the home office last year when visiting AT Trailers.

So one is left to guess and wonder what the exact product is they are installing in "Project Vehicles".

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Any ARB Outback Solutions dealer should have access to the drawer dimensions you are after. I can't remember if we helped with the OJ BJ74 setup but we've set many other 7x's with drawer systems. It's true that ARB doesn't have an application guide or fit kit for the 73/74 MWB but if you're willing to remove your rear bench seat, there are a handful of ways to set up a neat drawer system with the available Outback Solution offerings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior