Bj70

meafordmike

Adventurer
If you found an old BJ70 in the field, how much would you pay???
Its diesel and a 5 speed and rusted to hell.
I have no idea if it runs but does have an engine under the hood.
I have no idea if it could ever be repaired as the rust is everywhere.
I am not sure on the frame.
I may be able to pick up for a song or 8000$ I don't know.
If it was free I may take it home, but I would be in over my head. I have no idea where to start with body stuff or rusted frame, I don't weld. I could tinker with the engine and suspension but that’s it.
Any ideas out there? Its only 3km from my house??????
Tell me to go get it, and you will help fix it!!!!!

greentruck

Adventurer
If you found an old BJ70 in the field, how much would you pay???SNIP
I may be able to pick up for a song or 8000$ I don't know.
If it was free I may take it home, but I would be in over my head. SNIP

I'd pay much closer to the song than to 8 big ones.

On the other hand, if you got it for free, the price would be right and there are some great supporting online communities if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

It's real hard to kill a Landcruiser, but depending on what is actually the show-stopper, it can get pricey unless you source used parts.

shredwagon

Observer
Hey Meadfordmike:
13bt with H55 tranny? (check VIN on toyodiy.com)
Mileage?
Does it start? Compression test....
Blow-by?
Turbo leak oil?
Cable lockers? (would be sweet)
If all the above are good, who cares how it looks.....IF it's free.

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
It's a BJ70 so it won't have the 13BT in it. It also won't have cable lockers. This is assuming that it is a Canadian BJ70.

If it is 12Volt, it will be a 1985. If it is 24Volt, it will be a 1986 or 1987.

If the frame is shot and the engine runs; the drivetrain alone is worth about $2500. If everything is good, then the vehicle is still worth only $2500-$3000.

Don't waste your time trying to fix the body. If it is really cheap or even FREE, take it and get it running. Wheel the snot out of it and have fun; that is if the frame is not broken in 1/2. Or....part it out. It is worth more in parts than you might expect.

Hope that helps.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
do it...do it...seems like you could at worst find $500 in parts...even just interior...and if you can get her going even better...

meafordmike

Adventurer
1986FJ70037.jpg

1986FJ70035.jpg

1986FJ70067.jpg

1986FJ70065.jpg

1986FJ70062.jpg

1986FJ70048.jpg

1986FJ70044.jpg

1986FJ70041.jpg

1986FJ70052.jpg

1986FJ70050.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
One word... "Nightmare" That said, I LOVE 70s. If it runs ok, the 3B and 5spd are worth more than $300. Make an awesome tube buggy out of it?

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
One word... "Nightmare" That said, I LOVE 70s. If it runs ok, the 3B and 5spd are worth $300. Make an awesome tube buggy out of it?

Thats a pretty good amount of kms on there and it does look bad but for $300, you could part it out pretty easily and maybe make some money though. A 70 would be a great thing to have and at that price, itll be worth a few hours of work to get running. A welder and some tubing to replace some parts that are beyond repair and you could have a pretty cool little rig.

meafordmike

Adventurer
I think I will pick this up, at least to save from its rotting home.
I will probable part out, even though I would love a BJ70 Diesel I don't think I have the skills required to get it road worthy. And trailering a toy is not fun for me, as I like the long expedition type travel. Parts may be up for grabs by me or a well known Cruiser guy who knows what’s he is doing.

meafordmike

Adventurer
I am thinking I will send this on to a real cruiser guy. I don't have a garage or ability to part this out. I will forward on any request to him if he wants it. The important thing is the parts will be loving used in Cruisers down the road.
If he won't take it I may have it up in the for sale section complete for parts (minus the TOYOTA emblem) for my Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles