Bivouac Bravo... Off Road Trailer for Motorcycles / Build Thread

madZJ

Observer
I'm really digging that suspension. I want to build a trailer and have been getting a ton of good ideas here.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Thanks guys... This trailer will be seen at night from any angle as I tend to go overboard with lights. I purchased 10 reds, and 10 yellows are back ordered and on the way. I'm going to have to be careful to make sure it doesn't look like a semi truck in the dark but on the other hand in the warmer months we spend a lot of time wheeling at night, the last thing I want to look like is a drug runner slipping through the southern California desert in the dark. :Wow1: I am trying to decide what type of lighting I want to use to light up the exterior while on Bivouac? The folks over at Rigid lights sure build a quality product and are great to work with. I was looking over their lights the other day and what a difference in quality when holding theirs in my hands opposed to the other guys! I mean you can just feel and see quality of their products. :Wow1:

I was wondering which perimeter lighting was mostly being used by the members here? Anyone using rock lights on their trailers. I have in the past rigged up some cheap ones on a few trailers. It sure makes it nice navigate obsticles and to see snakes and other things around the trailer at night while camping. Who uses Rock lights? input Anyone?

Last edited:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Tough to see off-axis though.

To be honest it was more about capping off the ugly open tube more than being a light mount. It is interesting how when lit up the whole end of that cup lights up and the light reflects enough to look like its the size of the tube opening. No missing it from the side that is for sure!

Last edited:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Started working on the fold out bunks...

I spent a good part of the day walking in circles trying to figure out to make everything happen that I need to for the flip out bunks to operate simply. The openings are only 24" X 74" . Thinking that might be a bit narrow for sleeping so I needed to figure a way to get another 4" on the bunk width. I found the additional room inside so designed the bunk to actually have the frame fold up into the inside the trailer instead of flush to the wall. This will give me a larger sleeping area and little room for the ends of the sleeping enclosure to hinge and fold in for travel.

So the plan is to have the outer skinned door cover everything with a water proof seal. I will fab a brow to cover above the whole length of the opening. When Outer skinned section is lifted up the sheet metal ends will fold out from behind the panel that has been lifted enclosing the ends of the bunk area. Then the bottom will fold out leaving all but the large open side enclosed. I'm thinking a large rectangle of tent fabric can easily be Velcro'ed into place to close off the pop out section for sleeping and privacy. I will probably sew a cloth screen into the fabric portion along with a roll up privacy curtain to finish it off.

This is the basic frame work and the pivots that I fab'ed up today. Think it will work out just fine. Oh I will also be using a couple of straps one on each end to help suspend and support the base of the bunk. I'm going to use some seat belt webbing to make that happen and will look something like a limit strap going from the frame down to the bunk base.

The first and third pic is of the bunk frame pivot stowed inside the trailer.
The second is of the pivot with the bunk frame in the in use position.
The fourth and fifth pics are of the bunk stowed and in the in use position from the outside of the trailer.
the sixth pic is of the bunk in the in use position from the inside of the trailer.

Attachments

• Bengels Pack Mule 016.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 016.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Bengels Pack Mule 011.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 011.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Bengels Pack Mule 012.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 012.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Bengels Pack Mule 013.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 013.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Bengels Pack Mule 014.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 014.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Bengels Pack Mule 015.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 015.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Bengels Pack Mule 018.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 018.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Bengels Pack Mule 017.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 017.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

CGuava

Looking really good! I'm thinking of doing a cantilevered suspension myself, to get a more effective shock use, instead of the extreme angle they have to mount to.

Couple more questions:

How high is the bottom of your frame from the ground at ride height?

What radius bender die do you have? I ordered a 3.5 in 90 deg die, but I'm worried it may be too tight of a radius to attach any sort of aluminum to.

What wall thickness 1x1 did you use?

Love the buggy! Here's mine as that is my first love:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Looking really good! I'm thinking of doing a cantilevered suspension myself, to get a more effective shock use, instead of the extreme angle they have to mount to.

Couple more questions:

How high is the bottom of your frame from the ground at ride height?
The beautiful thing about this suspension is that it can be set up just about any where you want it by where the bags are mounted, length of bags, angle and height of the transfer arms and obviously air pressure. I have the bumps set at 26.5" to the bottom of the frame. With these 6" bags I can get it up to 35.5" to the bottom of the frame with the same bags, that clearing a big obsticle! Its on 35's right now and the tow rig is running 38's with 8" of lift. Recovery vehicle only... my nose bleeds if I go any higher. :)

What radius bender die do you have? I ordered a 3.5 in 90 deg die, but I'm worried it may be too tight of a radius to attach any sort of aluminum to.
Im using the 3.5" CLR die for this. Im not doing this in aluminum... Im using .065 1" mild steel and I still have to lock the stock in the bender extra tight or it wants to slip and kink. If you go with a thicker aluminum you shouldn't have any issues

What wall thickness 1x1 did you use? See #2

Love the buggy! Here's mine as that is my first love: The buggy is not mine.
I just built the frame, cage, stinger, and body.

That rig of yours sure looks sexy! Very nice indeed!

Last edited:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
The intention of this build thread is to build a trailer to do Expedition / Adventure type runs with a motorcycle in it as well as motorcycle recovery. This thread started going rock crawler on us and this is a EXPEDITION forum. I just wanted everyone to know what my intentions are for the trailer. Thanks for understanding and keeping this all about the EXPO / Adventure run experience.
M.T.

Last edited:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Weather proof RV Hinge, Extruded Hinge, Hurricane Hinge...

Well I finally found a supplier for longer than standard lengths... Unfortunately had to set up a business account to purchase but the price was worth the efforts in finding it. This stuff used to be everywhere and now its rare and getting hard to find. I can see why the teardrop supply guys have to charge so much for it.

This will go above the side doors to insure a good water seal and run off ... Anybody use those plastic extreme weather hinges?
Bengels Pack Mule 026.jpgBengels Pack Mule 025.jpgBengels Pack Mule.jpgBengels Pack Mule 027.jpg

Last edited:

desertcrawler86

Those side panels are different. Are you going to make another set for the other side? It looks like you are about to the point of starting to skin the outside.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
With work getting in the way I haven't done as much as I would of liked recently. I have been making sure the function is correct and doing some fine adjustments to the suspension. One of my projects has been buidling an extremely adjustable anti sway device. It works at any height and with very little weight being added to the trailer.With the best part being its achieved with minimal engineering. :Wow1: I will show that off later.

I started to skin the swing out side boxes but other than that not much to show in terms of progress at this point. Ive been ultra busy building cars and mail order Hot Rod seats frames. This is what I have on the skin since the last visit.

I was also given a 26 gallon ABS water container in hopes it could be used. Thinking its a bit large as it doesn't fit under the trailer nicely. It fits across the inside of the trailer nice but I don't want the weight that far forward, and it takes away room for the bikes length. I'm thinking of trying to cut it down or putting it over the wheels inside the trailer against the wall and off setting the weight by adding four 5 gallon Jerry cans in the passenger side boxes. Ideas on water tank surgery? Wondering if glue would be bad for drinking water? CAN ABS be plastic welded?Bengels Pack Mule 032.jpg

Attachments

• Bengels Pack Mule 030.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 030.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
And the IIRC is the glue? Thanks for the reply.... Any idea who makes a good plastic welder that wont break the bank?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94