Bivouac Bravo... Off Road Trailer for Motorcycles / Build Thread

Nightcrawler

Sunday the 26th and nothing as of yet? Pops would much rather this thread be deleted and he be banned than not being able to finish his thread or at least edit it to what the forum management team finds except-able. He is really curious as too who might be truly intimidated by this build and why? I know he has no real plans to go into production and selling these but maybe he should give that a serious second thought now? There wasn't an issue in him posting the beginning of the build in 09 http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/35784-Bengels-New-Unique-air-bagged-Trailing-Arms But it is now? Id hate to think there are admin's or mod's with such thin skin that they would think he is pimping this trailer on this forum in this way? If he was interested in selling these trailers here he would pony up the bucks and buy a vendor ticket. He owns his own 4x4 forum and knows how important it is for advertisers to pay their own way. I know selling these trailers has not been his primary goal. He did go through the patent pending process on the suspension so it could give him the time to decide what he wants to do with it. He has had several of his ideas stolen from him and he wanted to protect this one. If that is too close to advertising I think this forum might have a real insecurity issue? I'm not sure though, we still don't know why he has been locked out? Does anyone here know for sure why? Care? Just saying... If a PM, email or even a phone call could be made to Pops I'm sure this could be cleared up quickly. Thanks
Nightcrawler

Last edited:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
BACK ON TRACK!
I wanted to thank the mods that pointed me in the right direction... It was appreciated. And thanks to Blll, My son for the interim help and getting this thread up and going again.

Let me first say that I am not selling this trailerat this time. In no way am I using this forum to promote anything for sale. In the past I was a vendor here and If things should change and I need to become a vendor again I will arrange that Pryor to "Pimping my Wares" as my son would say. Please refrain from asking questions about the availability of this trailer. Thanks for understanding. :coffeedrink:

While I am building this trailer primarily for hauling a bike the creature comforts are a must for me. I decided to go a bit further and install a 12v /115v Propane heater that I had from a previous project. I'm only going to need this once in a while so I wanted it to be removable and easily. I built 2 permanent mounts on the trailer that will accommodate different types of accessories when needed. For now its going to hold the heater. It is held in place by 2 bolts with crimp nuts and one tech screw. The electrical, thermostat, and propane will be attached by quick disconnect fittings. I had to mount the unit in sideways so I am in the process of aiming the exhaust down and out from under the trailer for safety reasons. I'm thinking I thought of everything? What am I missing? Oh the hot air vents directly into the trailer through the side wall. A louvered grill will cover the inside holes with the ability to close off the vents. I was really surprised at just how light the unit is. Cant weigh more than about 25 lbs. It will be covered by the utility box on the passenger side so it wont even be seen when the trailer is completed.

Attachments

• Bengels Pack Mule 053.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 053.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Bengels Pack Mule 050.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 050.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Bengels Pack Mule 051.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 051.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Bengels Pack Mule 052.jpg
    Bengels Pack Mule 052.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Glad to hear things worked out. This a great forum. Lots of valuable information. The people in charge do a first rate job holding it together. Metal Twister, you are very talented. Looking forward to seeing more.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Glad to hear things worked out. This a great forum. Lots of valuable information. The people in charge do a first rate job holding it together. Metal Twister, you are very talented. Looking forward to seeing more.

I never had an issue here before... I'm just going to call it a Technical Glitch and leave it at that...

Thanks for the kind words on my talent. Its a God Given gift that has served me well my whole life. As a kid I was building dune buggies and off road bikes. I had a unique position in the Air Force that allowed me to fabricate things from time to time, and after that I built Stainless steel galleys for the shipyards, I spent almost 20 years as an outside welding sales rep./ consultant for most of the larger industries in San Diego. Been doing my own fabrication for about 12 years now. Its second nature for me. Lots of good unique experience. Thanks again.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Did Chip get a hold of you then?
I'm glad things are back on track. This is too cool a trailer for us not to witness its birth.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I'm glad things are back on track. This is too cool a trailer for us not to witness its birth.

Im not too sure how cool it is but I do know its unique... LOL I'm expecting you guys to keep me on track here as I tend to go overboard with this stuff. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Weight really is not a concern with me but I don't want it to be excessively heavy either. What is the weight of an average fully loaded expo trailer on the heavier side? I have a heavy floor in this and some things that I probably dont really need strapped on it. The plan is to build two fold out Cot / sleeping platforms that will be hinged with good sized piano hinge the full length of the bottom sleeping platform. Trying to figure out how I can frame it up so its strong enough for a 200lb guy and not be outrageously heavy? Ideas? Please...

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
A comparison of the trailer aired up and aired down. Being able to change these heights on the fly is really something special. Of course shorter air bags will change these heights to what ever one needs. If it is going to be a nice easy weekend runabout trail no need to throw in long bags. These are on 35" tires. Bengels Pack Mule 026.jpgBengels Pack Mule 025.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My teardrop is well over 2000 pounds. Much heavier and you lose the ability to adjust the position of it by hand ---- which happens sometimes in the real world...

And it's cool alright; don't kid yourself about that.
You fill all the cool criteria: function, form, versatility, and home-built.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Thanks guys.... Im feeling better about the weight thing. If the tongue should get heavy I can swing out the tire carrier and get the weight of the tire and 10 gallons of fuel out another couple of feet. Makes a great counter balance. LOL

Last edited:

gabepari

Explorer
I'll give you one piece of advice... While the "silver coke" is OK for the ADVRider or Pirate crowd, you should probably stage some of that fancy, hoppy, I'm-better-than-you beer in a glass bottle when taking pictures for this crowd ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles