Biting the bullet, need advice!

ale

Howdy folks,

Tomorrow I am checking out a used 2003 e350 XLT passenger van with a 5.4l v8 engine. It seems like a fair price and in decent shape.

I was wondering what those on the forum knew about this model ford van before I put money down. That is, any things I should be aware of mechanically?

I am a little worried about rust on the undercarriage since I am Maryland (coast) located, as well as a mileage inconsistency on the carfax. However, I am hoping that I will be able to use this to talk them down. I am also going to try and take it to a local mechanic for a look over as well.

Thanks for any help and guidance!

-Alex

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Take it to a ford dealership and have a PPI done before any $ changes hands.
Either the seller is confident in the van or will deny it and that's when you run.
But for more info, search the forum for buying a van, the results should help.

FDM2012

Adventurer
How many miles are on it?

Other than all of the usual Used Car Basics:

I would put a stethoscope on the front of the valve covers to see if you hear any abnomal clicking or clattering.
Cam phasers and timing chains are a "B" when they go out!

And make sure the air and heat is properly diverting from defrost, vents, and floor. Work those knobs the entire
time you are driving it and sitting in it. Those doors inside the air box can stick and even break. VERY pricey to have
repaired. (Disclaimer: It could also be as simple as a vacuum line.)

Good Luck!

id be most concerned with rust, check it thoroughly, bring a stepladder and check the roof/gutters/rails look around the 3rd brake light, and front window seal, body mounts, chassis, and all over underneath

mechanically, theyre not too complex, and rather inexpensive, but rust, rust is a pain to rectify correctly.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Yeah just have a good look everywhere, take a flash light and crawl around under it. I'm from Maryland and got my van in NJ and it was pretty rust free so they do exist even if the PPI says this one isn't the one.

ale

So I started the day with one thing in mind, but ended up with another.

Got a deal on a 2007 Ford e350 XLT 5.4 v8 that once was a shuttle for a University.

Pretty happy with the find, pics and build progress to come!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior