Bit overwhelmed with ARB fridge. Please help me set it up so I'm good to go?

1Louder

Explorer
Forgot to mention too, I will be driving 8 hours to Monument Valley, then 2.5 the next day to Page, staying in Page 2 nights (but will have a hotel room to keep the fridge going), but after that I'm in Zion for 4 days so that's where the refrigeration issue will become a problem I suspect, unless I can find someone in a powered site willing to let us use one of their outlet.

Typically you are good for 16-24 hours of running the fridge off of the battery only. Yeah you can do math to try to figure out amp draw, available capacity, blah blah. but that's a good estimate. So if you are parked and going no where you will need to find a way to charge your battery or power the fridge.

I see you asked about the Arkpak in another thread. That is a good option, yes you need to put in the battery of your choice but it also means it can easily be replaced down the road. A dual battery setup is great if you are running a winch and a lot of other gadgets. I have a CB, two HAM Radios, multiple USB ports, 1-2 refrigerators, (yes my list list is getting silly) so that's why I originally wanted a dual battery setup. Now having solar I am considering getting an ArkPak and using my existing 2nd battery in it. I can then easily switch the fridge off of the vehicle power as required and of course move it around the camp site if I wish. I have also just considered investing in a bigger solar setup. I have a trailer with its own battery and a good sized deep cycle in my FJ. Between the 2 with good solar I should be able to keep both batteries topped up. There are a million options out there and everyone has different preferences.

If you had room a kit like this would be much more affordable.
RENOGY® Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase Kit...
by Renogy
Link: http://amzn.com/B00HR8YNK6

Last edited:

unseenone

Explorer
I more or less agree with all that, except the continued use of the 12v socket.. You'll see here a temperature sensor drawing 5amps at 12.8v dc.

Just thinking long term. If you did something with Anderson plugs, it would hold up long term. I was thinking socket like this, for general use.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
If you buy a new battery for the trip (sounds like you should), don't just buy the group size that the dealer says fits your truck. Buy the biggest battery that will physically fit into the truck with the hood closed. Get as much amp hour capacity as you can, and get a deep cycle battery. All Odysseys are deep cycle by design. Optima makes both starting and deep cycle batteries. Optima Reds are starting, Optima Yellows are dual purpose (starting and deep cycle), Optima Blues come in both starting and dual-purpose versions. A marine battery (generally with an "M" after the group size) will have an extra set of threaded posts, very handy for connecting things like refrigerator leads, solar systems, etc. If the spec for your truck is equivalent to an Odyssey 1200, try to fit a 1500. If spec is for a 1500 (Grp 34), try to fit a 1750 (Grp 65). Unless you want to deal with goofy charging and maintenance routines, avoid the Grp 31 Odyssey 2150, because it is more trouble than it will be worth to you. If you can fit a Grp 31, do it, but get an Optima or a Northstar or a Lifeline instead of an Odyssey 31M.

1Louder

Explorer
If you buy a new battery for the trip (sounds like you should), don't just buy the group size that the dealer says fits your truck. Buy the biggest battery that will physically fit into the truck with the hood closed. Get as much amp hour capacity as you can, and get a deep cycle battery. All Odysseys are deep cycle by design. Optima makes both starting and deep cycle batteries. Optima Reds are starting, Optima Yellows are dual purpose (starting and deep cycle), Optima Blues come in both starting and dual-purpose versions. A marine battery (generally with an "M" after the group size) will have an extra set of threaded posts, very handy for connecting things like refrigerator leads, solar systems, etc. If the spec for your truck is equivalent to an Odyssey 1200, try to fit a 1500. If spec is for a 1500 (Grp 34), try to fit a 1750 (Grp 65). Unless you want to deal with goofy charging and maintenance routines, avoid the Grp 31 Odyssey 2150, because it is more trouble than it will be worth to you. If you can fit a Grp 31, do it, but get an Optima or a Northstar or a Lifeline instead of an Odyssey 31M.

Yes, that is good advice. It also depends on size of your wallet as well. Odysset 31M is a problematic battery. I own one! and Ducky's Dad along with others have gone back and forth on the issues and solutions.

I more or less agree with all that, except the continued use of the 12v socket.. You'll see here a temperature sensor drawing 5amps at 12.8v dc.

Just thinking long term. If you did something with Anderson plugs, it would hold up long term. I was thinking socket like this, for general use.

I was trying to keep things simple since the original poster is scared to do their own electrical work. We are also trying to come up with a solution that will work for a trip that begins tomorrow. I have had no issues with my ARB plugs with temperature because the gauge of wire is correct. Powerpoles are a great solution when you have time to order everything and have the knowledge to set everything up.

vision-quest

Observer
Typically you are good for 16-24 hours of running the fridge off of the battery only. Yeah you can do math to try to figure out amp draw, available capacity, blah blah. but that's a good estimate. So if you are parked and going no where you will need to find a way to charge your battery or power the fridge.

I see you asked about the Arkpak in another thread. That is a good option, yes you need to put in the battery of your choice but it also means it can easily be replaced down the road. A dual battery setup is great if you are running a winch and a lot of other gadgets. I have a CB, two HAM Radios, multiple USB ports, 1-2 refrigerators, (yes my list list is getting silly) so that's why I originally wanted a dual battery setup. Now having solar I am considering getting an ArkPak and using my existing 2nd battery in it. I can then easily switch the fridge off of the vehicle power as required and of course move it around the camp site if I wish. I have also just considered investing in a bigger solar setup. I have a trailer with its own battery and a good sized deep cycle in my FJ. Between the 2 with good solar I should be able to keep both batteries topped up. There are a million options out there and everyone has different preferences.

If you had room a kit like this would be much more affordable.
RENOGY® Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase Kit...
by Renogy
Link: http://amzn.com/B00HR8YNK6

Yeah the Ark definitely sounds interesting. I'm a photographer, and often go out on road trips where I may be stationary for a few days. I need long-term charging ability for my ARB 50qt fridge, laptop, camera batteries and a phone or two when that happens. Sounds like a mix of an Ark and Solar may be a good idea for this..

1Louder

Explorer
Yeah the Ark definitely sounds interesting. I'm a photographer, and often go out on road trips where I may be stationary for a few days. I need long-term charging ability for my ARB 50qt fridge, laptop, camera batteries and a phone or two when that happens. Sounds like a mix of an Ark and Solar may be a good idea for this..

That sounds like a good plan. You pay a bit more for an ARKPak vs a DIY solution but it also is a very simple setup. You don't need to worry about where to mount a 2nd battery, what type of dual battery controller to buy, all the wiring etc.

When available this device will be great to quickly charge items. Of course if you have an ARKPak and time to charge all of your devices you should be good to go. The Pronto 12 just does it quickly. This is a very specific product for a very specific need though. I just mention it because some photographers, drone pilots, etc need the ability to charge things quickly.

http://powerpractical.com/collections/store-power/products/pronto12-fast-charge-battery-pack

fjtoyman

And you thought you were overwhelmed before! You asked a good question and have been given a ton of advice, sounds like backed up by a lot of experiences. You are on a tight timeline, it's been said, but I would also recommend to make sure you have a good battery, then wire your new fridge directly to it. I dedicated a 12v socket for my fridge on a 20 amp fuse and have had zero trouble in very diverse conditions. After your trip, re-read these posts to find out what your comfortable with and make some thing more permanent in your adventure vehicle.
Go out, have a good trip, write up a short story, where you went what you saw, it's about the journey not the destination (insert other cliches here). Good luck!
Dan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

vision-quest

Observer
That sounds like a good plan. You pay a bit more for an ARKPak vs a DIY solution but it also is a very simple setup. You don't need to worry about where to mount a 2nd battery, what type of dual battery controller to buy, all the wiring etc.

When available this device will be great to quickly charge items. Of course if you have an ARKPak and time to charge all of your devices you should be good to go. The Pronto 12 just does it quickly. This is a very specific product for a very specific need though. I just mention it because some photographers, drone pilots, etc need the ability to charge things quickly.

http://powerpractical.com/collections/store-power/products/pronto12-fast-charge-battery-pack

Oh yeah, I definitely need the ability to charge my camera batteries quickly.. unfortunately the weakness of my camera is the battery life so I often need to be charging a few at a time.

vision-quest

Observer
And you thought you were overwhelmed before! You asked a good question and have been given a ton of advice, sounds like backed up by a lot of experiences. You are on a tight timeline, it's been said, but I would also recommend to make sure you have a good battery, then wire your new fridge directly to it. I dedicated a 12v socket for my fridge on a 20 amp fuse and have had zero trouble in very diverse conditions. After your trip, re-read these posts to find out what your comfortable with and make some thing more permanent in your adventure vehicle.
Go out, have a good trip, write up a short story, where you went what you saw, it's about the journey not the destination (insert other cliches here). Good luck!
Dan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, appreciate it! I'll be sure to do a trip post with hopefully some eye candy.

Lucky j

Explorer
Not much help fro the for days, but I have use my arb from the truck battery (a yellow top altima) for almost three days w/o any issues with the fridge or starting the jeep.

Some how, almost seams like it should not happen. But is does, so for now I'm not planning on a two batterie set-up. Like mentionned before, I do now carry a smal booster pack, just in case.

herm

Adventurer
hello fellow Boulderite!

i am happy to give a hand as well, and am local. hope your trip was fantastic! and check out the monthly meet in the region specific section. I have only made it a few times but it is good fun.

vision-quest

Observer
hello fellow Boulderite!

i am happy to give a hand as well, and am local. hope your trip was fantastic! and check out the monthly meet in the region specific section. I have only made it a few times but it is good fun.

Greetings! Boulder represent. Hopefully I can find somewhere to get a battery and that wiring after work before close..

1Louder

Explorer
Greetings! Boulder represent. Hopefully I can find somewhere to get a battery and that wiring after work before close..

I graduated from Boulder High School. Does that count? :)
Look at that list I posted for ARB dealerships. Hopefully one can help you if 4Wheelparts doesn't have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier