Bison Diesel is GONE...

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
It'll be interesting to see how the new version goes - the Holden Colorado is no more after GM shut down Holden, so this will become a GMC & Chevrolet market only product. With this, they also severed the last of their ties to Isuzu (who are now in bed with Mazda.... who in turn severed ties with Ford... who are now in bed with VW) so there are a few ripple on effects.

billiebob

It'll be interesting to see how the new version goes - the Holden Colorado is no more after GM shut down Holden, so this will become a GMC & Chevrolet market only product. With this, they also severed the last of their ties to Isuzu (who are now in bed with Mazda.... who in turn severed ties with Ford... who are now in bed with VW) so there are a few ripple on effects.
Well said, I quit watching the ripples 30 years ago. Anyone thinking Brand loyalty is a thing is completely missing the point. You could write 10,000 words on who sold what to whom.

The brand I swear by.... Willys, Jeep, AMC, Peugeot, Chrysler, Daimler, Lamborghini, Renault, I likely missed a few who have "owned" Jeep.

Last edited:

emulous74

It's my understanding that the 2023 Colorado/Canyon were originally supposed to go on the T1 (Silverado/Sierra) platform that would of allowed them to use the awesome 3.0 diesel in those vehicles, but that was scraped for a modified version of the existing platform, leaving the diesel to be only available in markets outside of the U.S. due to more stringent emission controls coming to the U.S. Considering the produced and showed the Canyon AT4x Overland with modifications done by AEV (swing out tire on the rear bumper) winch capable front bumper, etc. I think it's likely we will get Bison versions of the twins after their initial release in 2023. What will be interesting to see if we get AEV/Bison versions of the new Silverado ZR2 and Sierra AT4x and perhaps maybe even a HD version. But ashamed to see that the Silverado ZR2 and Sierra AT4x aren't offered with the 3.0 diesel.

emulous74

It was a concept vehicle:

GMC-Canyon-AT4-OverlandX-Concept-3-1024x682.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
Actually, the US version of the twins has always been a North America only product. The overseas versions including Holden are re-badged Isuzu D-max trucks, as are "Thailand-spec" Colorados. The only thing they share with the North American Colorado/Canyon is the name. Seems dumb for GM to have designed a whole new platform for a vehicle that was already in existance, but the US version is a bit bigger I think, likely because we bigger peeps... (Too many $5 Biggie Bags at Wendys...)

I do think the 2.7 turbo is going to ROCK in a Colorado. Finally something to compete with the Ranger's turbo four...
Stupid that our diesel emissions are so tight that a euro diesel won't pass. And pretty much all for nothing, since 99% of the emission types that we're so concerned about come from maritime shipping and heavy industry. Ie, reducing emissions in cars and trucks changes the "big picture" by far less than 1%. Seems worth it to me...

It was a concept vehicle:

GMC-Canyon-AT4-OverlandX-Concept-3-1024x682.jpg
Never seen that concept before, there must be a reason besides cost that they didn't follow through because thats not much extra metal there. Looks like the top half is bolted to the top of the bed and the bottom is either welded or bolted to the slider, do you have any side or closer images? I may want to make my own if I don't see the obvious failure point(s).

Actually, the US version of the twins has always been a North America only product. The overseas versions including Holden are re-badged Isuzu D-max trucks, as are "Thailand-spec" Colorados. The only thing they share with the North American Colorado/Canyon is the name. Seems dumb for GM to have designed a whole new platform for a vehicle that was already in existance, but the US version is a bit bigger I think, likely because we bigger peeps... (Too many $5 Biggie Bags at Wendys...)

I do think the 2.7 turbo is going to ROCK in a Colorado. Finally something to compete with the Ranger's turbo four...
Stupid that our diesel emissions are so tight that a euro diesel won't pass. And pretty much all for nothing, since 99% of the emission types that we're so concerned about come from maritime shipping and heavy industry. Ie, reducing emissions in cars and trucks changes the "big picture" by far less than 1%. Seems worth it to me...
The 2.8 isn't exactly going to be gone chevy supposedly plans on keeping the Brazil plant open for the south American s10 models.

emulous74

Never seen that concept before, there must be a reason besides cost that they didn't follow through because thats not much extra metal there. Looks like the top half is bolted to the top of the bed and the bottom is either welded or bolted to the slider, do you have any side or closer images? I may want to make my own if I don't see the obvious failure point(s).

That is a '21 concept for the '23 Canyon AT4x and previews what a "Bison" edition would look like. It appears that GM is expanded their relationship with AEV for more vehicles, as there is rumors that there will be AEV/Bison versions of the Silverado ZR2/Sierra AT4x.

skrypj

The 2.7 Turbo is going to make the dmax colorado look like a turd and will probably be close in the MPG department with the 10 speed. The same motor with an 8 speed in the current Silverado is not THAT far off of the 2,8L Colorado on fuelly.com considering its a full sized truck. The current Ranger with the 2.3L is averaging just 10% lower MPG than the Dmax.

Its a pretty fancy motor. GTDI but also has cylinder shutoff. In a tiny truck like the Colorado, its going to be able to run on 1.35L and probably be insanely efficient for a gas engine. It will run almost like a diesel where there is no throttle and has no pumping losses.

I came from a Jeep Liberty CRD which had the older brother to the 2.8 Duramax. Mine was even tuned to make 200hp and ~400 tq. It was a cool motor but I don't miss it. It was underpowered for doing truck stuff, especially towing anything substantial. Even at 6500' of elevation the V8 in my Lexus GX absolutely ran circles around it with my trailer hooked up.

Also, if the old torque curve for the 2.7L is still legit:

1649189658705.png

I am guessing this thing will produce more torque across its entire RPM range than the 2.8L. 2.8L is 369 at 2000 RPM

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke