Birthday gun for myself.

Pnwfullsize

I have a marlin .44mag. I would have gone .357 if i found one, but the original marlins (jm stamped) are hard to come by so when i found this .44 i jumped on it. It is a smooth shooter. Very little recoil. A little pricey to be a plinker but a very fun and practical rifle to have in the truck, especially with a matching revolver.

rnArmy

Adventurer
For some reason I've been mulling over your question ever since I first replied. And as I mentioned before, I have a Rossi lever action model 92 44 Mag in SS with a 16" barrel (modified by Steve's Gunz to include the 3/4 big loop), and a blued Marlin lever action big loop guide gun in 45-70 (which I purchased for an Alaska trip).

But if I were just wanting a "keep handy close-by" rifle, and wasn't concerned about bears, I think I'd go with the 357 with the shortest barrel I could find. Ammo is cheaper so I'd be more likely to practice with it, and the kick would be less (another reason I might be more likely to practice with it).

I still really like those take-down rifles from Skinner, but they're not cheap. So I was wondering what it might cost to get into the game inexpensively.

So for what it's worth....

A blued Rossie 357 Model 92 lever action with a 16" barrel will run you $540 from Sportsman's Warehouse.

They sell the same thing in SS for $560, but for both of them, depending on what store you go to they may or may-not have it in stock.

Of course, if you shop around you might find one cheaper, i.e.:

And now for something completely different (Monty Python fans would get that):

You want something small but powerful and not expensive: How about a Shockwave:

Probably the "best bang for your buck" (pun intended). Half the price of the 357 lever action, shorter in length, and much more lethal (at closer ranges).

I'll stop now.

Last edited:

Grassland

I'm actually not at all a fan of stock less shotguns.
I have a 12" bbl China 870 clone with a stock and the thing weighs like 8lbs still or something outrageous. Plus it's... Soul less.
I've been trying to find another shortie shotgun that takes chokes or has rifle sights. I have a Weatherby I can't stand the pistol grip stock, but it takes chokes and has ghost ring sights. I really need to get a Smith to find a stock that close to fits and modify it.
Everything in Canada is sold out. It's brutal.
I've only been able to find the Marlin Dark available for purchase.

And now Captain Crayon is pushing some non parliamentary OICs through and banning AR15 platform (which was already restricted) and a bunch of other semis including CX4 storm, which isn't even a rifle calibre, and the Mini 14.
I've heard rumors of lever guns and pumps being on the block next :|

rnArmy

Adventurer
It is a slippery slope; the anti-gunners goal is to ban/eliminate ALL guns. To them it is always just one more. I figure the lever actions will be the last to go though; too much Americana in them. I've also got a Henry 22 LR lever action.

Buy them while you can.

With the firearms like the Shockwave, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground; folks either love them or hate them. I still haven't fired mine, but I've watched enough videos to decide they're pretty awesome.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I must be bored. Here's a comparison between a 16" barrel Rossi Model 92 357 lever action (pictured is a 44 Mag version), and a 12G Shockwave.

Length: Model 92: 34". Shockwave: 26.5" (not as much of a difference as I originally thought).

Weight: Model 92: 4.8 lbs. Shockwave: 5.25 lbs. (both weights are empty).

# Rounds: Model 92: 8 + 1. Shockwave: 5 + 1 with 2.75" shells; 4 + 1 with 3" shells, and 8 + 1 with 1.75" mini-shells (you need an inexpensive adapter piece to fire the mini-shells).

If you were to drop me off in the wilderness with a map, a backpack of appropriate gear, and a destination of 100 miles, and I could only have either of these two firearms with 100 rounds of ammo, I'd pick the Model 92 in a heartbeat.

Now if I were overlanding and just wanted something handy for protection & to sleep with... would still probably pick the Model 92.

If I were backpacking for a day or an overnighter and could only have one... I'd lean towards the Shockwave. But that's me.

Firearm comparison.jpg

Last edited:

Grassland

I must be bored. Here's a comparison between a 16" barrel Rossi Model 92 357 lever action (pictured is a 44 Mag version), and a 12G Shockwave.

Length: Model 92: 34". Shockwave: 26.5" (not as much of a difference as I originally thought).

Weight: Model 92: 4.8 lbs. Shockwave: 5.25 lbs. (both weights are empty).

# Rounds: Model 92: 8 + 1. Shockwave: 5 + 1 with 2.75" shells; 4 + 1 with 3" shells, and 8 + 1 with 1.75" mini-shells (you need an inexpensive adapter piece to fire the mini-shells).

If you were to drop me off in the wilderness with a map, a backpack of appropriate gear, and a destination of 100 miles, and I could only have either of these two firearms with 100 rounds of ammo, I'd pick the Model 92 in a heartbeat.

Now if I were overlanding and just wanted something handy for protection & to sleep with... would still probably pick the Model 92.

If I were backpacking for a day or an overnighter and could only have one... I'd lean towards the Shockwave. But that's me.

View attachment 582853
That's a gorgeous rifle.

I ended up actually finding a 12" barrel .357 take down from Chiappa in country.
That is to say, it says in stock and the purchase went through, but that's happened before only for me to get a call saying it's not actually in stock.

I looked a few Canadian shops online but the Rossi's in stock all had longer barrels.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Is yours a "Mare's Leg" configuration? Would like to see a picture. I've only seen model 92s with a 16" barrel as the shortest.

quickfarms

Adventurer
This thread has me thinking that there would be some nice truck gun combinations depending on your preference and area

The 357 lever could be pared with a ruger black hawk or either a 586 or 686

The 44 lever could be paired with a ruger black hawk

You could even go with a ruger PC carbine and a glock 19 or 17

robert

Expedition Leader
This thread has me thinking that there would be some nice truck gun combinations depending on your preference and area

Kinda like the old cowboy combos. ;)

Grassland

Can't carry side arms in Canada. All pistols are restricted.
Was looking at the Ruger PC as buddies take down 10/22 is pretty neat and handy.
.357 hands down out performs 9mm by a fair margin though.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Can't carry side arms in Canada. All pistols are restricted.
Was looking at the Ruger PC as buddies take down 10/22 is pretty neat and handy.
.357 hands down out performs 9mm by a fair margin though.

I understand the Canadian issue and that 357 out performs 9.

Magpul is supposed to release a backpacker stock for the pc carbine in the fall

If you want firepower you could build a poor mans mountain rifle. A SS ruger American youth, 308 caliber, with a Leopold scope.

Grassland

According to my shipping ticket, I'll have my shorty lever gun before the May long weekend.
Plan to be on a "mountain bike" (more like cross country bike) camping trip. Will bring the Chiappa along assuming it's actually here. Will weigh and measure it beforehand because I'm getting conflicting values online for both lol.

Will report on handiness

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Sounds cool. Look forward to seeing it. Btw, try to get a box or two of ammo through it before taking it out into the real world.....wouldn’t be the first time a brand new gun wouldn’t fire consistently. Good luck!

Grassland

Rifle delivery was attempted yesterday but of course I worked 12 hours and missed. Should be ready for pick up at the local office after 1pm today!!
Don't think I'll have time for pics and weight etc today but will try to get those tomorrow.
Also got a bunch of .38, +P, and .357 boxes in the mail earlier in the week (including the $$$ Hornaday) so whenever I get the chance I'll have decent variety to test.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles