Birthday gun for myself.

Grassland

What better way to spoil myself for my birthday than a new lever gun?

I'm really jonesing for a Chiappa Alaskan take down in 12" barrel, but am unsure on what calibre. .357 is affordable and I can shoot .38 for fun. Or do I go .44 rem mag for utility?
(6.6 lbs and 24" OAL)
The .357 isn't on Chiappa's website anymore though...

As runner up is the Marlin Dark in 30-30. It's a little long in OAL though. (7.65 lbs and 34.5" OAL)

The purpose of the rifle, other than of course being awesome because it's a cowboy gun, is being a general use firearm, leaning towards portability via bipedal locomotion.

Backpack and hiking gun. Pushing bush gun. Self defense gun. Plinking. Just an all around sort of rifle. Light and short enough to carry, but enough power to be useful.

Note: I am Canadian and lever guns don't follow the same rules as semi auto, and thus can somehow be extra short and non restricted.
I already have a bolt gun in .308 for deer that I never get to use, and a good old Soviet style tactical rifle.

Bad news, almost everything is out of stock in Canada. No guarantee I'll find what I'm looking for in country.

What calibre would you choose? Or another rifle not listed?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Check out the Skinner Bush Pilot survival kit (you might have to scroll down just a bit to get to it).

$1499.00 for either 357 or 44 Mag. I so want one for myself. It would fit just right behind the seat of my Jeep. It comes with the case and everything you see with it.

I'm also torn between the two. I've got a Marlin big-loop guide gun in 45-70, and a Rossi 1892 SS 44 Mag lever action with a 16" barrel. The 44 Mag Rossi kicks like hell (and I doubt this take-down would be any different), but if I were needing it, it would put that much more of a hurt'n on the receiving end vs. the 357 (I think). But for anything other than bears, I think the 357 would be a better choice.

They also have a 45-70 breakdown model for a bit more money ($1850). One nice thing about the 45-70 is they have a wide range of rounds for them; from mild to wild. Rounds aren't as cheap as a 357 or 44 Mag, but I don't think you'll be doing a lot of just plinking with it. If bears are a concern, the 45-70 is what you want.

You'll have to contact them about availability. If I were getting one, I'd talk to them about getting a larger loop on it. Not a cartoonish looking one, just more of an oval one (closer to the size of my Marlin vs. the SS one on my Rossi pictured below).

Skinner rifle.PNG

Rifle.8.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
If it doesn't have to be a takedown gun then a Marlin 1894 Trappers rifle in 357 is a hell of a rifle. I’ve had it probably close to 25 years. its dropped its fair share of Missouri white tails and now is my varmint gun in Colorado. It just feels good. Best of luck!

robert

Expedition Leader
I'd love to say .44mag because, duh, .44mag, but realistically I'd go .357. No large bears around here and the blackies aren't really a concern. .38 and .357 are a lot more fun to shoot in short, light guns, cheaper (especially if you don't reload) and out of a longer barrel .357 picks up a good bit of velocity (.357 out of a rifle will drop a whitetail or hog with no problems if you keep it within reasonable range for the cartridge). I've got a 16" Rossi .357 and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot other than being a bit of a pain to load (I need to lighten the loading gate spring). It also handles and carries very easily both in hand and slung. My other main reason is that I own .357 revolvers, I don't own any .44s. The Chiapa is definitely a nicer rifle though.

Grassland

And by the way- “HAPPY BIRTHDAY “

Not my birthday yet, but I'm planning ahead so it shows up by then. Everything is out of stock and takes forever to ship since this quarantine stuff started.

Yeah .38 is cheap and fun. .357 out of a 12" BBL isn't anything to sneeze at. Would deter a black bear hopefully.

My buddy has a 336 BL or similar in 30-30 and he's strongly suggesting I go for the Marlin Dark.

motorcycle matt

I'm not familiar with that rifle, but if you go with .44 magnum you should be able to shoot .44 special for a cheaper plinking round. Of course it's more expensive than .38 special, but a .44 always beats a .38/.357. Happy early birthday.

Peace and wheelies.

MTVR

Among the firearms that my wife wants, is a Rossi R92 16" stainless carbine in .44 Magnum.

You are right- they are a very versatile tool.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I'd definitely go with the .357 or .44mag just because I like the idea of single ammo type when out in the woods carrying a pistol and rifle. I miss the Marlin lever action in .44 I had as a kid and would like to get another in either the same caliber or .357

The only lever action I have is a 1922 Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. It's nickel plated with a saddle ring and the serial number is like 8000 after the 1millionth model 94 produced (which I believe Winchester gave to Calvin Coolidge). I don't shoot it much since it's a classic but my dad brought down a charging black bear with it (had a broken jaw so was super aggressive from hunger).

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Oooohh.......I like me some old Model 94’s!

For Sale: $1000 Original, new in original box, never fired, 1976 bicentennial edition Winchester Model 94, 30-30 rifle. Still has the original price sticker on the box for $77.00 from 1976.

Very cool rifle. I inherited from my father in-law whom was the original owner. I’ll pull it out of the safe for some pictures later.

BTW.....The For Sale part was just a joke. Be safe.

Grassland

Well this guy is just great.

But knowing how much more powerful .44 is still doesn't help my decision lol

quickfarms

Adventurer
In CA it is funny how a black rifle gets scrutiny but a lever gun doesn’t raise any eyebrows

I have wanted a takedown lever gun since 1996 when I first met Jim West but could never justify the cost.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
My 44 marlin kicks like a mule and the 357 is a nice compromise.

In CA it is funny how a black rifle gets scrutiny but a lever gun doesn’t raise any eyebrows

I may be in the same boat with those skinner rifles.

I have wanted a takedown lever gun since 1996 when I first met Jim West but could never justify the cost.

Back when my grandfather was still alive he carried a .357 lever gun in his camper while traveling around the country for just that reason. Nobody really pays attention to an old couple with a lever action stashed in their camper but it was easy for both him and his wife to use as well as plink with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles