Birth of My Kimberley Karavan

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
For the last few months I have been working with a NC company LiFeBatt designing a custom Lithium Iron Phosphate battery pack to replace the Karavan's original AGM battery system. The rule of thumb for LiFEPO4 upgrades from AGM is you only need 50% of the amp hour capacity since the Lithium batteries keep their voltage constant for a much longer portion of the discharge curve.

But then you have folks like me that just want MORE POWER! :elkgrin:

Always nice to see new battery options out there. Any concerns or issues with cold temps? My experience with lithium batteries (admittedly not the same chemistry combination as these) is that they don't respond well in cold temps.

Herb

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Hi Herb,

In my application I don't have any concerns since the battery pack is under the bench seat and is effectively in the living compartment and therefore should never be exposed to extreme low temps.

Your correct though if the battery bank was exposed to extreme low temps it would quickly loose it's ability to store power and recharge times would seriously lengthen. Even in the worst case scenario that I can imagine, mine should never see temps lower that 0c and then only briefly. My whole water system would be frozen and I would be headed for home. :sombrero:

Here's a snip from the Sandia Labs testing on this LifeBatt LiFePO4 cell regarding capacity vs temp.

Cell Cap vs Temp.JPG

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Fantastic

Love the high country!

Seems you were very remote and alone; nice.

Any pin striping on the trailer yet...tough hurdle I know (for me too).

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
My custom pin striping has begun. :elkgrin: I try to avoid it as much as possible but to get to the places I enjoy it's just a reality you have to deal with. Nothing major yet but I am starting to see pin stripes that will remain part of the Karavan's character now.

MG1655-L.jpg

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
My custom pin striping has begun. :elkgrin: I try to avoid it as much as possible but to get to the places I enjoy it's just a reality you have to deal with. Nothing major yet but I am starting to see pin stripes that will remain part of the Karavan's character now.

That's a fact, to go there you/we will get them :)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I did the Lead King loop in a Sportsmobile several years ago and had the same apprehension you described. Got to Crystal and asked the "mayor" about trail condition and was told there was a very tight turn around a pointed rock and if I could get by that I'd be fine. So I walked in to check that spot and decided I could do it. It was very tight but I did get by without losing any paint. Trouble is it did not get much easier after that with a wide and tall SMB. I was squeezing under large branches that would not yield at all. But I finally finished the loop with no serious trouble except more gray hair. That was the hardest thing I ever did in the SMB.

But I have run those trails and Schofield pass at least three times in the FJ Cruiser and it was a piece of cake. Size matters.

Nice report and excellent photos as usual.

Ace

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks Ace. I agree, the loop would have been a piece of cake if I was just driving the 4Runner. Hanging 4Klbs off your butt makes a difference too. :xxrotflma

Awesome country around there though. I definitely want to spend more time in the area.

This thread is a blast to read, excellent photography with a one of a kind rig. I've been continuously calling my wife over to look at the photos and say "we need to get out more and do this!!" Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your experiences.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Hi Darth E. I'm glad my wanderings are getting you fired up to go play. Thanks for the positive comments. Here's to more opportunities for all of us to get out there more often. :beer:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Hi Jon,

Not their first time through the US import process. Back in 2005 they had US dealers for the King Kamper models and sold several but not enough to support the dealer concept

Since then they have imported a few Kamper models for US purchasers directly from Australia.

My Karavan will be the first hard sided model imported to US and they are hoping to generate more interest in the US market and sell many more.

They actually had a rep here in 2002, from whom I purchased mine. Sadly, I sold it later.

Now, I'm drooling over yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior