Binky, the '92 7.3l 4x4 Econoline

CaulkinsCo.

I have had the windows out twice, first time the passenger side had a bind, second time the drivers side has a bind. The adjustment in the tracks seems to be a skill I don't have but I'm pretty sure that's the key to getting them to work smoothly.

Binky

I bailed out of work early yesterday to swing back by the junkyard.

For about $50, I got two mirrors, a really beefy oil cooler, a pile of trim pieces, etc...

So, all the wiring is already in the doors and only required the mirror assy's. and the mirror switch with bezel.

That's it.

It took another 20 min to get the window adjusted right...ish. I need to get the windshield replaced and will get the window tinted at the same time.
The tint is all that kept it from exploding in my face...

I did find it amusing that these doors are specially built for the big towing mirrors that are on it. They aren't just screwed on. The lower mounts use nutzerts
and the uppers screw through holes in the panel into a big nut plate in the door that is held in place with a plastic tab. But they still had power wiring
So now I have 5 holes to fill : P

Binky

I spent last Sunday and today installing the Chef's Combi-Wagon top on Binky. It still needs a lot of finish work, but it works!
It still sits about 1/2" high because I need new latches, and I still need to install the gasket, but it's pretty close.

I have another week to get it finished as I just took a new job in Bend, OR.

Housing is super-tight and expensive there, it looks like I'll be living in the van during the week, but back in Boise on the weekends.

Next I need to install flooring, and a surround for the fold-out bench seat to make it full size.
Then a cabinet for sink, stove, cleanwater and wastewater jugs/tanks.
I have batteries and a 1500W inverter, + about 120 watts of solar on hand. I'd like to be able to run a small microwave for at least a few minutes a day.
I also want some ventilation fans, LED lights, etc.

Last edited:

Binky

Another update,
Spent all day yesterday cutting out and smoothing foam. 3 garbage bags of the stuff, but now the walls will be nice and smooth.
I plugged the dozens of holes and laid down some soft foam pad for insulation and OSB over that.
Tomorrow I'll lay carpet and glue down the 'diamond plate' anti-skid tiles I found at the discount carpet store.
They had just enough tiles to do the rear area that I plan to keep for cargo, and the entry.

John

Last edited:

Binky

Some more done.
I finished the floor and put some of the old corrugated plastic wall covers back in place. Then I built a table out of the old laptop tower that came with the van.
Made some adjustments to the roof and white lithium grease for the lift tracks. Now it opens and closes easily! I'm 5' 11" and still have 2-3" of headroom.

That's it for now, my back is killing me!

John

Last edited:

Binky

A quick bit of update!
I've 'moved' to Bend this summer and stayed in Binky for the first few weeks. Then I bought a house. : )
Currently working back and forth between towns...

My first trips on the 285 tires were a bit rough. Tough to pull hills at a reasonable speed with those big tires, plus it was 'wandery' and would catch grooves and pull you around.
Not real fun, but no other problems. The 7.3 IDInosaur ran perfect and got about 16 MPG. I think that's pretty fair considering the size of this beast.

So a month ago, I rebuilt the front tie rod and ends. All stock F-350 bits. I also picked up a set of Expedition rims and installed some
Continental VancoFourSeason tires in the correct 245/75-16. A world of difference. They drove/rode/tracked great but the Toyos will still be great summer/backcountry tires.

Binky's pop-up is 'done'. 4 coats of heavy alkyd paint, new gasket and new stickers. Not much else I can do there besides lights and insulation.

Also, I've spent the money and got the Bushwacker flares. The rears arrived yesterday and the fronts should be in tomorrow.

2 weeks ago found a set of really clean door cards from a 2002 in my local. Nice to finally get rid of the cheap conversion van units and have some modern panels with storage cubbies.
I'll post fresh pics when I get the flares installed, but here's where it was a few weeks ago, still with the Alcoa/285's.
Binky_dn.jpgbinky_up.jpg

John

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Dang didn’t know you were moving. Next time you have the van in boise lmk. I’d really like to check out that old school top. It’s looking really good man!

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
not sure if he’s on this forum or not, but member grampswrx on the smb forum is who posted it up. I just shot the link out to my local van brothers ;)

looks good man! I made my own 8x170 adapter. you should copy it. I designed it so the tire actually rests on the bumper instead of all the weight being put on the rack.

also this years camping season started this weekend.we spent 2 days below the owyhee dam. woke up with a little snow on our rig this morning. first time we’ve ever camped in January.

26BAE0B8-BCEC-40B5-B9AF-83E27EC5E364.jpeg

Binky

Well, thanks to grampswrx too!?

Send me what you have on the tire mount. I was wanting to do just that, so why reinvent when I can copy your's ?

So jealous. I spent to much time repairing my race car transmission. That's such a great river/ canyon! Nice weekend to January camp!

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
about all I could send you is a pic. it was crafted on the as you go program, lol. your welcome to pull it off and trace it out sometime though. in the meantime stop by the salvage yard and pick up some extra lug studs. I went with 7 just to have some spares on hand. too many stories of people losing them after rotations made me paranoid. left the one out and use a lockable trailer hitch as a security measure. initially left the unfinished corners on thinking of other things I might need to lock through that flange like traction boards, etc, but never thought up a solution I liked and will likely remove them eventually.

AD5AC001-F38A-47B9-86CB-A15D9D868464.jpeg2455A1C0-A51D-4DB8-B340-DFDE867565C8.jpeg

Binky

OK, I see what you did/doing, thanks. I just got off the phone w/ Aluminess, a new 8x170 plate is $35 and the pin is another $10. I just went ahead and ordered direct from them. The parts should be in when I get home.
With all the time I burn in travel, it's just cheaper/easier to order them, bolt-on and be done!

My bumper is the really thin style. If it were thick like yours, I'd cut/build a scoop in the bumper to hold the weight of the tire. I'll build a perch of some sort to take some of the load off the arm/door hinge.
Thanks again!

Binky

My hinge bolt and tire mounting plate came from Aluminess today. Always impressed by the quality.
Well, turns out they sent the wrong mount. See, I just needed the simple plate with studs. That plate then bolts to an extension welded to the swing arm.
They sent this...
Adj_Tire_mt_sm.jpg

Not what I was expecting.
BUT for only $40,it's a really nice mount and I can do plenty w/ it!

So I grabbed a scrap of aluminum I had and with studs I had left over from my 8x170 conversion, made my own .
New_Tire_Mount_sm.jpg

Getting the hinge pin out was a PITA, of course, but eventually I won.
All done with the swing-out tire mount!
Tire_mount_comp_sm.jpg

John

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior