Binky, the '92 7.3l 4x4 Econoline

Binky

Hey all!
New member here! Not to new overland camping, I've had a lifted Astro I've used for many years, but I've always wanted something just a bit....more.
A few months ago I found a 93 Econoline 350 4x4 on an obscure auction site. It's waaayyy more than I really need (starting to sound like a Geico commercial), but with my wife eggin me on, I ended up winning it!

It was at the Idaho National Laboratory and I bought it just from the auction desc. It's an Anderson All-Wheel-Drive 4wd conversion with only has 55K miles on it.
They were using it for cyber-defense testing and it had several black-boxes and piles of wires in the back. I've ID'd some, but some are still a mystery...
It has Flexsteel RV seats in front and a air ride trucker seat in back where the electronics guy sat.

A buddy and I drove over from Boise to get it and sure enough, it didn't want to start. Long story short, a quick shot of ether and it fired right up.
Since then, I've installed new glow plugs and connectors, slowly working through changing all the fluids and filters and just generally making sure it's fit.

Also, I've picked up a Ramsey 9500 Winch with brush bar and a receiver for rear hitch.

Best of all, last weekend I found a Chef's Combi-Wagon (Dodge D300 campervan) in the junkyard and was able to get the complete pop-up from it for only $100!
With the air ride seat in place, I was barely able to fit the fiberglass top inside, but it made it home!

I'll post some photos later this evening!

John
Boise, ID

Last edited:

Binky

Thanks! Here's some pics...
It does have a receiver now. I need to find the later bumper with the additional holes. Or build something...
I've also replaced the hubcap.
BinkyFRSm.jpg
BinkyRRSm.jpg
I replaced the fixed side-door door windows with pop-outs from the junk yard.

The walls are filled with spray foam and covered with corrugated plastic sheet. This included over the driver. It was lit with LED push-lights and no visors. I've since cut out the plastic and trimmed back the foam to install a clean headliner, visors and LED dome light. There was so much foam in the rear door the handle and lock wouldn't work. I had dig a bunch of foam out of the door to get it all working again. Closes like a vault with all that foam.

It still needs a windshield and I need to take it back in for A/C work.

Over the weekend I pulled the Chef's Combi Wagon top and drug it home...
Fullsm..jpg
The salvage-pile Ramsey winch is in there somewhere!

I'm also hoping to do something better than these seats...
Seatssm.jpg

I have swivel base to install on the passenger seat once I find what I want for that position. Deb does not like the passenger seat and I plan to get the most comfortable seat I can find in there. Preferably one w/ an integral seat belt and heated.
If I don't use the matching seat, I'll use the KAB 150 seat mounted behind the main seats.

John
Boise, ID

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Nice score John! Not familiar with the combi top. I’ll have to look it up. Either way, that’s a super cheap pop top! I love junkyards!!

Binky

Gotta love State Street Jalopy!
If you just do a quick google search of "Chef's Combi Wagon" you'll see several photos of a Dodge D200 and a couple of photos of a 2nd generation E200 Econoline using this top. It has two hard panels with sliding glass windows that lift into place with a torsion bar assist. The two end caps fold up into place by rollers mounted on the main panels. One hand open/close! Opening size is 4' wide by 8.5 ft long. The photos make it look like it's sitting on a short metal box, but that's the aluminum cover for the wood frame underneath. Some of the cover got ruined while I was removing the important parts, but I plan to use either Trex or build a steel tube frame for it to rest on. Probably mock it up in my garage before I try to mount it.
I guess the company was from Ballard, WA, but that's all I can find out about it. That and photos of 3 or 4 vans with the top.
Any one else ever heard of Chef's Campers?

John

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
oh thats crazy. looks a lot like the really old school poptops you used to see from the 60's and 70's. and ya, not much comes up in a search about them. should be a cool project! have you sat the top on the van yet?

Binky

No, it's still in the back. I need to drag it out but, with my flaky back, I need to track down some help.
I was lucky enough to have some help getting it out of the junkyard.
When Bryce moved to Carson, I lost my lackey.

Binky

Spent some time on Binky over the weekend between several house chores.

On Friday I picked up a pair of used seats from a conversion van, finally finished installing them today...
DrSeatSm.jpg

I had a swivel base so I installed that too...

PassSwivelSm.jpg

The shop that sold me the seats had a pull-out bench/bed with a built-in table for $250.
I'm going back for that next weekend so I have it ready for some camping later in Sept.

Plus 4 new shocks up front! Those and the new seats really help smooth out the front end.

Now if I add about another 1000 lbs, the rear might smooth out!

I think getting the Chef's CombiWagon pop-up installed will help. It probably weighs 300 lbs, plus it needs some sort of mounting frame. I'll probably build mine out of 1" steel tube rather than wood like the van it came off.
ChefSm.jpg

John

Binky

Well, here's what I have so far;

The top:
TopA.jpg

The side panels:

Sides2.jpg

The side panels fold flat under the top. The top attaches to the two folding end panels.
The side panels hold two torsion lift springs and the rollers that roll in tracks on the end panels.
To raise it, just push up on the two handles on the side panels, that unfolds the ends and lifts the top.
To lower it, just pull the handles in and down, folding it all back.

YllwFord.PNG

BlueFord.PNG

John

5spd97

I like it and I think you're going to be happy with that top. Also impressed that you have already changed the glowplugs. I have a cold start problem that I'm avoiding dealing with because all of the options look to be a pita. It may be as simple as the relay, which wouldn't be a big deal in a truck, but I can't even see it on my E350. It looks like dropping the alternator might help, or maybe not. At any rate the valve covers and glowplugs look to be a whole 'nuther thing. Hopefully I won't be forced to find out. I'm still a little gun-shy because I thought that I would just jump in and change the leaking o-rings on the fuel bowl drain. Hahaha, what was I thinking?

As for adding weight; you'll be amazed at how fast the pounds add up.

Binky

There are a lot of resources out there about changing glow plugs, the relay, etc...
This is the first diesel I've ever owned so the learning curve has been steep.

None of it was difficult, but patience to access the glowplugs was required. Repairing the harness was actually more difficult, trying to get cutters/crimpers into some tight spaces.

On the IDI motor, the relay is at the very back of the engine, easy access once you pull the dog house.

Now, if you have a turbo, all bets are off. The only thing I had to pull for access was the air cleaner! Having the turbo e-series looks like a maintenance nightmare!

Good luck!

John

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m dreading replacing the glow plugs. I thought I needed to but I first replaced my stock GPR which was cracked down the side and burnt to a crisp with a ‘Monster Relay’ from DieselORings.com. I no longer have any cold start issues. Even without changing a singe glow plug.

Binky

Mine may have been OK as well, but several harness connectors were bad. There was a brand new (though not completely hooked up) GPR in place. I just did the glow plugs while I was in there fixing the harness...

A big thanks to shenrie! (y)(y)
He pointed me at a pair of rear barn door pop-outs in one of the local yards. Ran over and snagged them this morning, now Binky will have pop outs on all four doors.

I had to dig out a bunch of foam to get the threaded inserts in place, but the fronts are done. I leveled the foam and the panels fit much better.
Door1sm.jpgDoor1postsm.jpg

The sun started to hit the rear of the van and got hot so I left it at that! I'll do the rears this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94