Bilstein shocks on Express van?

Cloud-Spur

Here are the part numbers used in lifting and supporting my 2005 Chevy Express AWD:
Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T III LT235/85R16
MaxxCam2 keys (B3 Setting) front
General Leaf Springs 3/4 Suburban rear
Bilstein 24-186643 on the front
Bilstein 24-185615 on the rear
Cognito 110-90289
Much improved from stock configuration now.

View attachment 716432
I am trying to do exactly what you did here. I have a AWD 2004 passenger (with double doors on both sides :)) I tow a 6k lbs trailer frequently and need a boost in my payload. Your link for the bilstein shocks show not available.. :( did you happen to know of another option? Maybe something in the FOX lineup? Otherwise Ill compare specs on the part numbers you used and try to match that with fox or something else from bistein.

Did you have any trouble with the ‘Burban leaf springs? And do you know how much of a payload increase it is? I think i read the stock payload capacity for the 1500 is around 1600 lbs. does that sound right to you?

Was the upper A-Arm swap a necessary thing for alignment or something? I hadn’t planned on replacing mine but if it helps in someway I’m game to add it to the list.

Before reading your article I had planned on buying the boulder off road 2 inch lift kit with bilsteins. It is like $1730. What did your lift come to in total price?

Willsfree

I am trying to do exactly what you did here. I have a AWD 2004 passenger (with double doors on both sides :)) I tow a 6k lbs trailer frequently and need a boost in my payload. Your link for the bilstein shocks show not available.. :( did you happen to know of another option? Maybe something in the FOX lineup? Otherwise Ill compare specs on the part numbers you used and try to match that with fox or something else from bistein.

Did you have any trouble with the ‘Burban leaf springs? And do you know how much of a payload increase it is? I think i read the stock payload capacity for the 1500 is around 1600 lbs. does that sound right to you?

Was the upper A-Arm swap a necessary thing for alignment or something? I hadn’t planned on replacing mine but if it helps in someway I’m game to add it to the list.

Before reading your article I had planned on buying the boulder off road 2 inch lift kit with bilsteins. It is like $1730. What did your lift come to in total price?
Go to my post in the CM fullsize AWD thread and see my build.
All the parts are available, model numbers are gold; shop around.
Cognito upper control arms made all the difference in the handling and travel range; I'd recommend them to anyone doing this lift.
I can corner hard at high speeds and be confident I'm not going off the edge.

Willsfree

Cognito upper control arms made all the difference in the handling and travel range; I'd recommend them to anyone doing this lift.
Here's another post about the Cognito Upper Control arms.

Cloud-Spur

Sweet! Thanks so much for that info. Did you replace the leaf Spring shackles too? If so did you buy them for the suburban or the express?

Willsfree

I bought the upside down shackles, but the shop ended up using the originals. Sounds like no issues with the springs, control arm, or shocks. Lots of details here in the threads; but all my part numbers are accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94