Bilstein BE5-A463-H5 = 9.24" stroke shock.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I think I've found the solution!

After building a hybrid leaf pack (stock rears less overload + 3 leaves from an old set of All Pro long travel front springs), and the Downey extended shackles, I needed new shocks.

I pulled the 10.2" stroke 5150's I had on the beater and mounted them on the Taco. They fit, but only left me with 4.0" of up travel, and were about 1.5" to0 long at full droop. I flex checked'm, and they didn't bottom or top out, but that doesn't check full compression very well. After running them for a month plus, I've found I'd come very, very close to bottoming out the shocks, and I've not run them real hard yet. What washboard road I've done showed them to be very smooth - even at speeds close to 90 MPH. These are the dimensions on the 5150's:

BF5-A196-H1 10.2" 5150 w/ Fixed Crossflow Reservoir:
Measurements: extended 25.91"/compressed 15.89", valving 170/60. (also available in 255/70 valving) $99.99 each

I found the 5125 series has a shock that is closer to what I need:

BE5-A463-H5 9.24" 5125:
Measurements: extended 24.35"/compressed 15.11", only available in the 255/70 valving, $75.00 each. If anything, I may need to add a pair of limiting straps at full droop.

Loosing the reservoir capacity is a downside, but I sure don't want to beat up the 5150's while the still fit the beater...

Should have them in hand this week, mounted and ready for the trail ride on Oct 7th.

Later

Mark

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Got'm on this evening

Pic's are captioned, but to summerise the install, the 10.2 inch 5150's were too short on upstroke, but had about an inch of travel left at full droop. The new 9.24" 5125's are about 1" too short at full droop, but I gained about an inch of up stroke.

The flex check showed that even at full flex, I still have approx 3/8 to 1/2 down travel left in the shock. In the pic shown, the shaft measured roughly 8-3/4" extension, and the tire was not in contact with the ground. On the stuff side there was still about 1-1/4 shaft remaining, so that's good. The only problem I can see is if I intensionally jump the truck - not something I generally do. But I have hit some pretty big bumps, so the additional up travel will be a good thing...

I have the option of using a limiting strap (or two), but at this point I'ss see how it goes. I've never been a fan of boots, so they were removed after install.

The quick ride quality check showed the 5125's to be fine in the rough washboards I ran at 20 to 60 MPH, and I didn't notice any difference on pavement. The worst section of washboard was about 4 to 6" deep and closely spaced. The rear end showed no tendancy to wander. As usual, the SAW's up front didn't even know they were there.

Mark

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
oh yeah, did ya notice my high tech brake line extension? :sombrero:

Also, the hybrid rear pack is going to be replaced as soon as I can afford Deavers. Check out the front of the spring at full stuff!!!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
initial impressions:

Off highway they performed great. Put 30+ miles of dirt on'm in varied terrain last weekend. They are stiffer than the 5150's, but didn't cause any chatter on heavy washboard.

On road, they have improved the handling of the truck. I don't have a swaybar (removed when coilovers were installed), and the stiffer valving has helped substantially with body roll. In normal situations the truck stays pretty flat thru turns.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
nope, no bump stops...

...didn't want to start fab work for stops until the Deavers or Alcans are in hand. The stock stops were missing the frame inboard at full flex by a couple inches, and weren't even long enough verticaly with the current lift.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
well...

...that was an expensive experiment.

I blew out a 2 month old shock - no visable damage, but it was leaking oil...
So, what was the solution?

1. Replace one shock - leave things as they were.

2. Replace one shock, add bumpstops.

3. Change the slightly overloaded hybrid pack (I've added more weight - not as much as many of you carry, but it's in excess of 500 lbs including the spare on a daily basis), one shock and add bumpstops.

I chose:

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Added Deaver J59 eight leaf springs - removed the Downey 1.25" lift shackles.

Lost a little stuff with the bumpstops, but still have great droop - use the almost the full stroke on the 9.25" travel Billies.

Ride quality is great to boot.

Mark

it almost looks like it would be possible to pull the forward mount on the right side up another inch...maybe it would work, then you could run the longer 5150s. dunno what it looks like on the left, tho.

do your shackles hang in tension or compression?

-sean

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I tried 10" 5150's - have a set on the beater. Since the shock is over 2" longer (see pic above) they result in no up travel. As it is right now, the truck sits level - 39.5" at the center of the fender flare fore and aft. If the new springs settle more than a 1/2", I'll throw on the Downey shackles I took off.

Shackles rotate very slightly forward at full droop, but not far enough to invert - at least not with my driving style. I don't do big air...

At full stuff, they are still off the frame.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles