Bike Racks

slvyj

Observer
I trying to figure out how to carry my bikes on my JKUR. I have a roof rack with RTT so I need a hitch mounted rack, preferably a platform hitch. Looking for something that can carry up to four bikes. What is everyone using to carry bikes on Wranglers?

tweenerlj

Adventurer
I'm happy with this rack:

41WidhwzmnL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Highland-1375500-SportWing-Mounted-Carrier/dp/B004O5IDHE/ref=pd_day0_263_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=39441HSXFZ8TG4NJ9B8A

I do use a 12" hitch extender to get beyond the spare tire.

BradS

Best one for the Wrangler is going to be the 1up USA. Tray style racks that come in singles, doubles or quads. I've seen some guys get away without having to use hitch extenders/droppers/etc, but personally have no experience with them. Cost prohibitive where I live. I went with a Yakima Dr Tray, and it required a drop hitch adapter in order for me to be able to open the back, not ideal, but funcitonal.

tenoverthenose

I have a North Shore rack that is my hands down favorite of any rack I've used. Super quick & easy to load/unload all four bikes (hey, I'm the one doing it for the family). It's built stout and fairly adjustable (I've had 29'ers and 16 wheels on it). The only downside is that it prefers bikes with front suspension, but I've mounted other bikes to it without a problem.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR 4-bike.htm

Curious to see the answers in this thread too...

I tried a hitch mount, but because the "kitchen" is out of the back of the Jeep, got rid of it shortly after buying it as I couldn't open the door - even with the hitch tipped down and an extension. Went with the Thule "Spare Me Pro", works for one bike, but a bit of a squeeze for two (although it works).

a room with a view by e j, on Flickr

Climber1

I just had a similar dilemma for my 4runner. I initially ordered a Yakima Ridgeback but my new Mtn Bike's suspension would not work play nice so I did a lot of research and wanted a 1 Up or Kuat but the price just seems nuts to me. The good ones all cost some coin but I ended up getting a Yakima 4 time and really like it. It is modular (can take off two bike trays) and is built like a tank. For the money, it seemed like the best option for me. I'm not clearing a tire so you will likely need an extension regardless of the set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles