BigSek 2003 G500 Build Thread

BigSek

Hello,

Beautiful G Wagon! I am considering getting a G Wagon for overlanding. Is there anyway to extend the fuel range, it is my only concern about getting one. I don't care about the MPGs but the range is my concern, anyway to get a bigger fuel tank or an aux tank?

Thank you! Off the top of my head I believe ORC might make an aftermarket aux tank, but I haven't done a ton of research into it to be honest. I'd be willing to bet they are very tough to come by and very expensive. I haven't come across many passes or trails out here in CO that have given me range anxiety yet. A little more range would certainly be welcomed but the stock setup hasn't let me down yet. If anything I'll probably run some exterior aux tanks if I feel the need, there are some neat solutions that seem a bit more accessible than an aux tank. G Wagen Accessories makes a side mount for a 4.5 gallon fuelpax (https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/products/fuel-carrier-4-5). I also recall seeing another build where someone fabricated a rack to hold 4 fuelpax 4.5gal tanks in place of the rear tire carrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSG

BigSek

Thank you for the kind words all! 6+ Months and ~5000 miles in and still loving it. Finally getting comfortable with the rig and slowly getting over the irrational fear of big $$$ repairs while having some fun off road.

Recently completed a road trip out to Telluride and back from Denver without a hiccup. Very deep snowpack out there this year which has kept some of my favorite passes and trails closed later than usual but had some fun nonetheless:
DSC01270-2.jpg
DSC01345-3.jpg

SSG

Ok so here we go!!! Just picked it up today after much research for my overland vehicle. This one is a keeper for sure!!! And yes these beautiful pictures you have here persuaded me even more haha. 2013 G

IMG-2977.JPG

BigSek

Ok so here we go!!! Just picked it up today after much research for my overland vehicle. This one is a keeper for sure!!! And yes these beautiful pictures you have here persuaded me even more haha. 2013 G

Congratulations!! Definitely jealous of that 550 powertrain and newer tech! Looks like a great rig, looking forward to your modifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles