Biggest tires?

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Where can I go about receiving the reprogramming? Is this something my local MB mechanic can tackle with his fancy proprietary MB computer?

I'm manning up to a 33" BFG - closer to 34" - pretty soon. Should I expect my ESP to put up a good fight? :sport_box

Yes, you will have an ESP fight once a while......

Just wave me down, next time you see me driving past on the I-5 :smiley_drive:

I do always carry my Star System with me - for all my good friends :sombrero:

Email me, if you like to have your own "fancy proprietary MB computer"

karl@g-wagenaccessories.com

Attachments

• IMG_3215.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 55

otiswesty

Regular guy
My Mercedes dealer did the computer changes for me. It was 1 hr of diagnostic time, but I supplied them with the required settings in the specific menus. I would imagine any shop with the Star Diag system could make these changes. You can drive without making the computer changes, but not only will the ESP be sensitive, the shift points will also be off.

I recommend Karl's service as he know the drill and can provide you with further product improvement for your G500 at the same time.
Lets see some before pics.:ylsmoke:

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Eric,

it doesn't really matter what size tires you are running......

Try not to run over things and keep always air in your tires....

5652204.jpg

4x4abc

Adventurer
Where can I go about receiving the reprogramming? Is this something my local MB mechanic can tackle with his fancy proprietary MB computer?

I'm manning up to a 33" BFG - closer to 34" - pretty soon. Should I expect my ESP to put up a good fight? :sport_box

here is how its done:
ESP fix

I am pretty sure only independent MB shops will tackle this computer reset for you - official MB dealers are not only clueless, they are also not willing - not even with their outlandish charges

JohnBrukiewicz

here is how its done:
ESP fix

I am pretty sure only independent MB shops will tackle this computer reset for you - official MB dealers are not only clueless, they are also not willing - not even with their outlandish charges

I'm finally wearing thin on my existing set and will be installing some larger tires within the next month. I will check with my local shop to see what he can do as not to bother Karl!

Karl- we're finished on I-5 for now. Enjoy the new rest stops on your next trip! :sombrero:

littlehandegan

Can I just turn the ESP off on the dash until I can get to a Mechanic to do it?

What needs to be changed? The tires size to the 235 and then what else?

JohnBrukiewicz

325/60/18s, they measure out to approximately 33.2"x13.00"W.

No rubbing in standard conditions (street aprons, et cetera).

Rubbing:

Took the vehicle out to the ranch to play around last night at greater angles and the tires do rub the inner liner once the spring bumper begins to compress but do not come in contact with any critical parts. If the inner liners were not $1000/pair, I'd start cutting, but after pulling a front and rear liner off last evening and running the front wheel onto a 3' boulder to inspect at full flex I am confident I fabricate a replacement sheet metal liner at my shop to relieve the rubbing.

ESP:

Absolutely no ESP issues thus far. As a matter of fact while taking the roundabout offramp my ESP comes to say hello every day, ESP did not kick in. Several offramps and tight turns near my home activate ESP and now do not with the larger tire. I am unsure whether the computer will pick up on this at a later date and decide to become overly sensitive. This is day two with these tires.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Attachments

• 154284_1780263033510_1447467307_1995016_28328_n.jpg
    154284_1780263033510_1447467307_1995016_28328_n.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 68556_1780263153513_1447467307_1995017_7396568_n.jpg
    68556_1780263153513_1447467307_1995017_7396568_n.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

mercedes_uae

Great job

First up... Great looking car, youve done a good job with it.

Secondly, Im looking into something similar... And Ive got a few questions: are you using any lifts / spring or hub spacers to clear it?

Also, when you say no rub... You mean none at compression right?

JohnBrukiewicz

No rub during street driving.

It does rub at compression, but does not come in contact with either the fiberglass flares or the sheet metal above. It will take a toll on the plastic liners I predict which need to be pretty heavily modified/replaced with something "custom". I did a quick sketch up on the computer with the rough dimensions I measured out with the liners off taking into account what I can trim without effecting aesthetics and will probably rivet something together here pretty soon.

The width is more so to blame than the diameter. I did not originally order a tire this wide. My tire shop told me along the lines of 11.50-12.50" width but these tires showed up. He offered to replace them with the size I ordered if I had any serious problems later down the road had I found them to potentially come in contact with the body metal/flares. They are not and I plan to keep them and utilize the additional width and modify the liners. I would not recommend slapping these tires on and taking your vehicle down a trail requiring full flex at any sort of speed as you will likely tug at the liner mounting. I tested flex at low speeds and saw this with the existing.

Thank you for the compliment. The rack, light bar and rack accessory mounts were all purchased from Karl at G-Wagon Accessories. Other than the tires and rooftop equipment, the truck is stock. Will likely purchase the spring spacer he offers soon to better distance my front tires from the wheel wells.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
It's a 2003. About to roll over the 100,000 mark. She's getting old but I'm hoping for another 100,000 miles :sombrero:

Great Truck John,

sorry I haven't followed the thread at all.

Yes, you are absolutely right, the "oversized" width of your tires are to blame for the rubbing. The spring spacers might help a little bit, but only for the compression issue. How is the rubbing when turning full to the right or left?

The light bar looks so cool, I wished I had that one install on my last Baja adventure. Could have used a bit more light.....

I have an optional ESP OFF switch on my rig, it turns off the ESP completely until the ignition has been recycled. This might be dangerous to your health and I can't get deeper into it here.

I definitely will stop at the I-5 rest stop on my next trip up North

Happy Trails

JohnBrukiewicz

Hey Karl,

Left to right the tires don't rub at all.

When propped up on a curb measuring approximately 8" tall, the tires make the rub sound at full turn ONLY in reverse (??????).

When one tire is propped on one of those boulders in my driveway approximately 28" tall which is about where one of the rear tires begin to take flight, the tire higher tire presses fully against the liner, but misses the flare. Without moving at speed it has not caused damage, but I guarantee it will at 5+ mph. This is front and rear at full flex.

ESP is STILL behaving better than with smaller tires. Am I mistaken or isn't it supposed to be MORE sensitive? :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94