Biggest tires?

zimm

Expedition Leader
why are you thinking that? that roughly 5 inches over stock, i believe. not positive, may be model year dependent. my lx470 has bigger wells and you cant run 35's w/o a lift and gearing sucks w/o new r&p's.

4x4abc

Adventurer
tires

on the 2002 G500 you can run up to 295/75R16 with slight rubbing front and rear under full compression and max steering angles
285/75R16 will have no rubbing

285/75R18 is too big

the G500 has enough HP - no gearing effect noticeable with 295/75R16 on mine

by the way, 16" wheels are superior to 18" wheels when it comes to off-road driving - and they substantial comfort for on-road driving

Attachments

• where800.jpg
    where800.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 166

Bhos

Adventurer
Harald,

Using Karl's 1" to 1.5" spacers, the 295/75R16 would be just fine, correct?

zimm

Expedition Leader
im running 265 75 r 16's with plenty of clearance so far. i dont think 33's ought to be an issue with my g320, clearance or power, but i wont go over with the 6 cause from what i can tell its not worth the r&p change for 35's. the truck goes really well on most trails ive been on and im sporting LT M&S right now. i dont think 35's will buy too much more ability.

im still gonna jack er up 2+ inches when i get the the ting back from the bodyshop, but 33s will be the limit.

zimm

Expedition Leader
by the way, 16" wheels are superior to 18" wheels when it comes to off-road driving - and they substantial comfort for on-road driving

absolutely, i prefer 15's myself (and the same OD tires are 20% cheaper). but alas... the g needs 16's.

dont the later g's require 18's for the disks?

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
absolutely, i prefer 15's myself (and the same OD tires are 20% cheaper). but alas... the g needs 16's.

dont the later g's require 18's for the disks?

All G-wagen up to 2010 can use the MB 16" Atik wheels.....except the G-55's

Zimm - no R&P gear changes necessary unless you have a G320 :sombrero:

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Ok, looks like I want to go with the 33x12.50x18 on stock wheels.
Wish me luck????

Anyone think I will be screwed :sombrero:?

Here is a proven concept for using the stock 18" wheel. A good friend and customer of mine just wrote to me:

My tire size is 275/70/18 in the General Grabber AT2. I reprogrammed the computer and speedo using the same settings as Harald and you did. My tires are rated 33" and change. I have occasional brake pulsing in tight turns, it is barely noticeable and not an issue really. I have used the ESP off button in areas where I know there is usually interference and my speed is less than 40MPH. I had a hard grab a couple of weeks ago that surprised me, and I have noticed that the ESP seems a little more sensitive lately. I have almost 20K miles on the tires and comparing to my spare there may be almost 1/4 inch lost off of the radius, so I suspect that is the reason.

My gas mileage is 12-13 mostly, but on highway drives where I am cruising 55-60 I have gotten up to 15.5MPG average (thats over a 200 mile local trip).

Maybe this would be a good start for you - did you purchases your dream G-wagen yet?
You always can gain your own experience, learn from it and change to a different vehicle/tire size/life at the next crossroad:smiley_drive:

JohnBrukiewicz

Where can I go about receiving the reprogramming? Is this something my local MB mechanic can tackle with his fancy proprietary MB computer?

I'm manning up to a 33" BFG - closer to 34" - pretty soon. Should I expect my ESP to put up a good fight? :sport_box

littlehandegan

Where can I go about receiving the reprogramming? Is this something my local MB mechanic can tackle with his fancy proprietary MB computer?

I'm manning up to a 33" BFG - closer to 34" - pretty soon. Should I expect my ESP to put up a good fight? :sport_box

I too am interested in this also.....:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online