Biggest team to take to Cape Lookout yet

wlfmachine

Ever since going out to Cape Lookout for the first time three years ago I have been returning twice a year and bringing my friends.

Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20180416_115328.jpg

A couple weeks ago we had the biggest group of guys out there yet for us, seven trucks and a hand built sailboat.

Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20180416_115355.jpg

Though the weather going into the trip seemed pretty questionable, it turned out to be three perfect days on the island. The duel highlights were fresh caught red drum cooked over the fire, and a pile of wings, fries, and onion rings done right in a big propane deep fat fryer. An awesome time was had by all!

Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20180416_115408.jpg

Here is the video!

Further confirmed by this trip... the RTTs are wonderful and comfortable, but for beach camping, have a comfortable setup to sleep in the truck! I have a great system with my 4runner and I had three good nights sleep!

Attachments

• Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20180416_115328.jpg
    Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20180416_115328.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 13

wlfmachine

Did the sailboat sail from the mainland? Or did y'all trailer it in?

It sailed over from one of the launches on Harkers Island and moored on the inland side of the island just across from where we were camping. He actually has a pretty cool nylon hoop type tent that he made and sets up on the boat with a cot and kitchen under the cover, so he slept on the boat at night. It was neat having the boat to go explore some of the inlets on the inland side of the island.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Sweet. Man I want to go there. What have you learned maybe about best time of year to go ? Also, pulling a SoCal trailer with 3rd gen runner. Any problem you might see getting the trailer over as well?

Irongrave

Looks like a great time with great friends. This is on my short list of places to go as it's only 6ish hours away.

keylay

Adventurer
What kind of set up do you have in the back of the 4Runner? Looks like a blast! We have a few beaches in Texas that we can drive on like that. Ive been to one of the shorter ones with a ground tent and will likely just stay in back of my 4th gen. 4Runner. Too much sand!!!

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Sweet. Man I want to go there. What have you learned maybe about best time of year to go ? Also, pulling a SoCal trailer with 3rd gen runner. Any problem you might see getting the trailer over as well?

Just the cost of the ferry ride. They charge by the foot! I’ve been over with my fully laden 100 series LC and towing our AT Chaser adventure trailer. No issues, just air down both the rig and trailer. Most people forget the trailer.

wlfmachine

We always go in spring and fall since there is no place to escape the heat or mosquitoes in the summer. I haven't tried taking a trailer there yet, but I have seen others do it successfully. The only only thing to be sure of is that you reserve space on the ferry for both your truck and the trailer. I have seen someone arrive thinking they could get the trailer to the island without a reservation and they had to leave it in the ferry parking lot and completely repack all their stuff in their truck.

wlfmachine

What kind of set up do you have in the back of the 4Runner? Looks like a blast! We have a few beaches in Texas that we can drive on like that. Ive been to one of the shorter ones with a ground tent and will likely just stay in back of my 4th gen. 4Runner. Too much sand!!!

I have a drawer system that houses my kitchen and also acts as a sleeping platform when it's windy. The rtt is fine in the wind, but I sleep way better on the beach without the noise of the wind and with it in the 40s at night for us its also warmer in the truck. I love having the option to sleep either place and I always recommend people headed to cape lookout be ready to sleep in their vehicle. One time 60+ mph winds came out of nowhere and sleeping in the rtt was just not an option.

Btw having a wisk broom makes all the difference keeping the sand out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles