Bigger ArkPak Style Alternative?

erstwild

I have my secondary house battery system built around an ArkPak 730 with a 100 amp/hr BattleBorn LiFePO4 Battery which has generally been working great. I use all of the terminal connections, 50 amp anderson plugs, and available plugs/ports (120v, USB, cigarette plugs) which works out perfectly for me. However, I feel like I would like to upgrade to accommodate more battery capacity which leaves me with a few options:

1. Try to find a marginally larger LiFePO4 battery that can fit in the ArkPak (probably 130 amp/hr max)
2. Try to wire in a second 100 amp/hr battery (display would always be wrong but other than that could be workable)
3. Start from scratch and build my own battery box + charge controller + inverter + terminals/plugs/ports, etc.

I would be curious about what gear folks would recommend as the best for the later option. I think I'd like to buy a couple of these Renogy 170 amp/hr LiFePO4 batteries if I were building a new system from scratch:

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
DIY better value if you want one bigger unit.

Or just double up on the same or similar, and switch between them.

Of course as your usage Ah per day grows, so does your need for greater energy inputs.

shade

3. Start from scratch and build my own battery box + charge controller + inverter + terminals/plugs/ports, etc.
Seems like a better approach if you really want more capacity in a luggable form.

I think this Ridgid Tool Box might make a good case for something like that. Tough, relatively light, affordable, weather tight, with decent wheels and a handle.

1567178336010.png

erstwild

Seems like a better approach if you really want more capacity in a luggable form.

I think this Ridgid Tool Box might make a good case for something like that. Tough, relatively light, affordable, weather tight, with decent wheels and a handle.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually not too worried about mobility. I'm planning on just strapping the new battery box assembly under my bed like the ArkPak 730. Here is the kind of box I am thinking about if I go with just one of those 170 amp/hr Renogy Batteries:

I think that would give me some extra internal space for the other required gear. I could use more help with figuring out all the other components if others on here might want to opine?

Renogy 170 amp/hr LiFePO4 (Dimensions: 13.88" L x 6.32" W x 10.92" H)
Noco 4d Battery Box (Interior Dimensions: 21.2" L x 9.6" W x 11.1" H)
500 Watt Inverter with Cooling Fan with 1x 110v, 2 x Cigarette Plugs, 2 x USB, 1 x 50 amp Anderson?
Battery Monitor?

I currently charge the ArkPak battery with the direct terminal connections from my Victron Solar Charge Controller (300 watts worth of panels) and Blue Sea Systems Relay from Alternator (50 amp max).

Last edited:

erstwild

After looking at my options, I think I will wait a little longer to upgrade to really be worthwhile. I think I want to build a system around a 300 amp/hr LiFePO4 8D battery. To be continued...

erstwild

Update time. I decided to take the jump and purchase a LiFeBlue 300ah LiFePO4 with low temperature heating feature and bluetooth SOC monitoring. I also pulled together all the other necessary gear, so when the battery arrives, I'll detail the new setup.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles