Big50's 2017 F250 Build

Big50

Adventurer
Good looking set up. Is it the angle of the pic or is the rear squatting? Looks like maybe a 21-22' trailer, is it a heavy trailer?

Mostly the angle of the pic. It sits pretty level with that trailer. Only weighs in around 6500lbs loaded with a 750lb tongue weight. Added airbags due to getting some good sag with the loaded chase trailer. Tongue weight on that with the truck loaded is around 1100ish lbs. Plus, usually have 600-800lbs in the bed. Would sit level if the truck wasn't "leveled" up front 2.5".

Big50

Adventurer
Nice! Truck looks great. The gasser is probably better suited for an adventure rig anyway. The diesel is great for towing but weighs a lot more which effects offroad performance.

Big50

Adventurer
Forgot to update this...

Went ahead and threw on 38" Falken MT's. They are actaully closer to a 39 spec wise at 38.7" tall which is 1/10th taller than BFG 39's. What's amazing is they fit with only the 2.5" lift from the Icon kit. I did have to trim a little bit of the inner fender and push a little corner of aluminum in. It's been flexed out on a recovery on our last Baja run in October. No rubbing. I do get rubbing on the sway bar at full lock but not really a big deal.

Unlike with 37's, going up in size was noticeable gearing wise so I put had 4.30's put in.

Lastly, changed out wheels and put on Icon Rebounds. Went from a -12mm wheel to a +6mm.

Very happy with it. She's been putting in a lot of work doing chase duty down in Baja.

a6904d957e5c0b4bfd9e777a66015455.jpg

64485e20b4002f3972db32a2caf33f61.jpg

ff91f4a460c735d9a440f99a291ce65e.jpg

1a1490822d74fd61ae20d0f9a9241103.jpg

0a347322571d729502295874e1e48e32.jpg

On our last trip got to put everything to good use. One of the Raptors got pretty wedged into a washout and we decided the safest way to get it out was to winch it. The truck was stuck about 10 miles up the Baja 1000 race course so it was very rough with 3 ft whoops. Truck would have bottomed out in stock form numerous time. Also, the bigger 2.5" icon shocks allowed us to carry a faster pace so only took us about 30 minutes to get down to the truck.

Little clip of her towing a wounded Raptor down in Baja.

Last edited:

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Forgot to update this...

Went ahead and threw on 38" Falken MT's. They are actaully closer to a 39 spec wise at 38.7" tall which is 1/10th taller than BFG 39's. What's amazing is they fit with only the 2.5" lift from the Icon kit. I did have to trim a little bit of the inner fender and push a little corner of aluminum in. It's been flexed out on a recovery on our last Baja run in October. No rubbing. I do get rubbing on the sway bar at full lock but not really a big deal.

Unlike with 37's, going up in size was noticeable gearing wise so I put had 4.30's put in.

Lastly, changed out wheels and put on Icon Rebounds. Went from a -12mm wheel to a +6mm.

Very happy with it. She's been putting in a lot of work doing chase duty down in Baja.

a6904d957e5c0b4bfd9e777a66015455.jpg

64485e20b4002f3972db32a2caf33f61.jpg

ff91f4a460c735d9a440f99a291ce65e.jpg

1a1490822d74fd61ae20d0f9a9241103.jpg

0a347322571d729502295874e1e48e32.jpg

On our last trip got to put everything to good use. One of the Raptors got pretty wedged into a washout and we decided the safest way to get it out was to winch it. The truck was stuck about 10 miles up the Baja 1000 race course so it was very rough with 3 ft whoops. Truck would have bottomed out in stock form numerous time. Also, the bigger 2.5" icon shocks allowed us to carry a faster pace so only took us about 30 minutes to get down to the truck.

Little clip of her towing a wounded Raptor down in Baja.

Is the raptor in full race mode now? If you were going to just have one truck would you get the stock raptor or build up an F250 like you did?

Big50

Adventurer
Is the raptor in full race mode now? If you were going to just have one truck would you get the stock raptor or build up an F250 like you did?

Kind of looks like it haha. We do offroad tours down in Baja. F250 does chase duty for the group on the Raptor runs. I tow it down for the runs since I have to bring the whole setup.

IMG_3651.jpeg

Good question! I'm not sure, Raptor rides smoother and more comfortable on and offroad. Not to say the 250 isn't comfy. I love the room in the 250 for gear etc. I'd likely lean slightly to F250 but really depends on your plans and how fast you want to go offroad.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Hey @Big50 didn't you just install an oversized tank? What all did you have to do to that? did you have to reprime the system or adjust the fuel gauge to display properly?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Ran into this beast after grabbing lunch in Pismo. So rad on every level. Custom built. Guy said it weighs about 4K lbs less than the similarly sized Earthroamer. He and the guy who built it are considering going into business to make these.

_G7A7909 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7905 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

_G7A7910 by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

And he sold it for a frickin' song! https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...pedition-overland-camper-lots-of-pics.194850/
Now residing in Central Oregon supposedly.

Great pictures here, love them!

Toyo MT, Toyo RT, Cooper STT Pro...any reason no one has thrown General Grabber X3's into the mix? Seems to get more positive reviews than the Cooper's at least (which I have on another vehicle and have liked them for the most part so far, save for some initial squirminess. I liked my Toyo MT's on Vandiana Jones), and certainly lighter than the Toyo MT's. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5QR7GRX3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Big50

Adventurer
Hey @Big50 didn't you just install an oversized tank? What all did you have to do to that? did you have to reprime the system or adjust the fuel gauge to display properly?

Yessir...been meaning to update the thread.

After doing a lot of long distance towing from the Bay Area down to Baja, down the 395, Arizona etc and I started to want a larger fuel tank. Normally you figure 34 gallons is enough but when you're getting 11MPG towing the range takes a hit. Also, fuel along the 5 and 395 is not cheap and it's PIA to get on and off the free way passing through LA sometimes. So this started the "want" for a bigger tank.

I then started crunching numbers for being able to leap frog to cheaper fuel and bringing 24 gallons of cheaper fuel into Mexico (right now diesel is around $4.30 gallon) and estimated the tank would pay for itself in about 6-8 months. So I ordered up a 60 gallon tank from S&B.

So far I love it. Install took me about 4 hours and was pretty straightforward. I can now make it all the way from the Bay Area all the way to San Diego on a single tank.

Anyone who does basic wrenching on their truck can handle it. As for priming the system, just turn the ignition on but don't start the truck to run the fuel pump. It will prime the system in about a minute. You can hear the tank pressurizing.

The fuel gauge will still read accurately but the DTE will be off. S&B has a loner tuner they'll send out to you if needed. I used Forscan to change the DTE.

The tank re-uses the stock skid plate and comes with an extension for the front that the stock one doesn't cover.

This video was very helpful and gives you a great idea on what to expect. The video also covers what to change with forscan at the end. You'll be able to easily judge if you're up to the task after watching it.

Few pics of the difference between the 2 tanks after pulling the stocker.

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 39

Big50

Adventurer
Notice you ditched the soft topper. Any reason?

Didn't ditch it...I still use it. In fact, used it for our New Years trip where we camped outside mammoth in the single digits. What I really love about it, is how easy it is to pull off and put on. The truck gets used for a lot of different purposes so the flexibility is awesome.
image.PNG

And he sold it for a frickin' song! https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...pedition-overland-camper-lots-of-pics.194850/
Now residing in Central Oregon supposedly.

Great pictures here, love them!

Toyo MT, Toyo RT, Cooper STT Pro...any reason no one has thrown General Grabber X3's into the mix? Seems to get more positive reviews than the Cooper's at least (which I have on another vehicle and have liked them for the most part so far, save for some initial squirminess. I liked my Toyo MT's on Vandiana Jones), and certainly lighter than the Toyo MT's. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5QR7GRX3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I'm sure...that thing was top notch.

Thanks man!

Attachments

• image (1).PNG
    image (1).PNG
    147.1 KB · Views: 65

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles