Big THANK YOU to the Hollister Overland team!

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
:wings:That would be on "Truck Hill"...It is a lot steeper than it looks in the pictures.
I took the Dodge up that when I was out there and it is an adventure driving it. There are quite a few vehicles that don't make it to the top and even ones that have come back down the hard way. Good to see that the Syncro didn't roll back to the bottom.

Thanks for the pics. But we need more to satisfy our addiction...:sombrero:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
:wings:That would be on "Truck Hill"...It is a lot steeper than it looks in the pictures.

Correct. It is very steep... probably on the order of 40 degrees. The hill is also covered in fine dust that makes everything very slippery. I took a spill on that hill when McVick was tossing me a d shackle. A complicated recovery, and a learning experience. Glad we got it out without injury or further damage to the vehicle.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
All.

I merged both threads about the Rally together. I have a report coming later today with more pictures.

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
A complicated recovery, and a learning experience. Glad we got it out without injury or further damage to the vehicle.

Was this ya'll??

Roll3.jpg

dbreid

Adventurer
Was this ya'll??

Roll3.jpg

Mr. Leary is steering the Syncro in that picture, Thor is on the right, and Brian McVickers is on the left. The winch line coming from the left (taught in this picture) is attached to my truck, and the other line (being repositioned here) is attached to Jay's Power Wagon.

jcbrandon

Explorer
It was a rather technical recovery. I feel very fortunate to have been involved. Thor, Harold, and Scott managed the operation and Dan, Mike, Brian and several others provided support. No one got hurt, we got the vehicle back on its wheels, and I learned a lot. A good day. Thanks to the great teamwork.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Definitely a fun event.

The variety of rigs was very cool especially when you can see what mods other owners have done to make their vehicles more off road capable.

Class instruction was great, course selections were perfect for nearly all experience levels. I've been wheeling for quite a while now and I still learned quite a bit from the courses I took.

The individual travel & rally racing presentations (racing dakar :Wow1:, NE USA to Terra Del Fuego, Drive through Africa, Mongol Rally) were all very captivating and allowed many of us to live vicariously through those adventures.

Great to see the folks from Magellan taking an active role in seeing what their customers want. Even thought their 7" unit is just large enough to use in a 4x4 off road (IMHO), I along with others do hope they provide a bigger tablet sized solution like an iPad running hi res topo data with a simple to use touch screen or and/or keyboard interface.

The steaks & pig roast were definitely tasty and extra kudo's also has to go out to my buddy Mike (aka grasscat) for doing all of the cooking at our camp!:chef:

The rally race on Sunday was also awesome and the added twist of giving instructions for the 2nd part of the rally in Spanish made for a definite challenge. Took some extra time to configure my GPS software to accept the coordinates but luckily it didn't take too long and I was the 2nd person to sign the clipboard.

It was very unfortunate that the trailer rolled especially since you made it to the clipboard before me signing it first, but at least the silver lining is the number of experts on hand to help you get going again.

Looking forward to next years event and especially even more course material.

Oh, and unfortunately, I really didn't take too many pictures this time out. I'll post what I do have later this evening.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Overland Rally - an organizer perspective.

Well, I am not too sure where to start. I think I am still "high" from the weekend...

:)

I think at this point it is safe to assume that the Rally has been a tremendous success. We worked really hard to create this event but it exceeded my expectations.
I really want to thank everyone who participated - no matter how. I think we have managed to strike a good balance between classes, presentations and great conversations.

The list of persons I wish to thank is too long so I am sorry I will be missing a bunch...Andre, Brian, JP worked really hard with the logistics and operations. The guy from Overland Gourmet (John and Zach) fed us with first class cuisine the entire time. All the vendors (Paul, Martyn, Alan, Tom, etc) were totally available to chat. Thanks Paul again for your glass of cold orange juice...nice way to start the day!
All the presentations were excellent - thanks again Ben from riding your KLR all the way from Boston. Dave also for your class. Micheal the photographer. All the volunteers (Tacodoc, Mr. Leary, etc) I think I should even thanks Bill for rolling over his Syncro and giving us the opportunity to witness a real life recovery. Thanks for the guys who flew just for the event.

Thanks everyone again.

Personally, I really appreciated the fact that there were so many different vehicles on site. It is a very diverse crowd that comes together because of common passion, not because you are driving a specific brand.

Enough said, time for the pictures.

1023896536_wTt5Q-L.jpg

1023831527_eJCjU-L.jpg

1023844075_vNzpX-L.jpg

Ben's class (www.afewmoremiles.com) gave us some good advices about riding your KRL to Tierra Del Fuego:

1023848197_5wz4b-L.jpg

Myself getting ready for an "impromptu" class on how to replace a tire:

1023848980_RKLWq-L.jpg

1023849603_LFzVL-L.jpg

1023850249_NDHvU-L.jpg

1023850042_qVoz2-L.jpg

The G-Wagen camp getting bigger and bigger

1023851868_LLXUm-L.jpg

Recovery class

1023852066_WGNfj-L.jpg

Getting ready for the great Dakar presentation

1023854109_2AZC4-L.jpg

1023854928_wF3JZ-L.jpg

1023855127_2kLkZ-L.jpg

1023862542_qtYsj-L.jpg

The "Incident"

1023865352_UhnU2-L.jpg

1023866182_9E9Fs-L.jpg

1023866832_i5vzo-L.jpg

1023867043_EjH7V-L.jpg

1023869169_64P7T-L.jpg

1023869904_Gve9z-L.jpg

1023870853_mmQdE-L.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Dan

Here is a picture of your "Mall Cruiser" going through the mud puddle

DSCF0011.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
After the competition Paul May from Equipt and I were headed back to camp when we heard over the radio that a vehicle needed assistance. Given the GPS coordinates Paul was able to navigate to the location.

Paul took over point, and I added my talents as photographer :sombrero:. Paul took stock of the situation,

DSCF0015-1.jpg

laid out the plan with the vehicle owner and then directed the recovery.

DSCF0013.jpg

Lucky for everyone it was straight forward and a little counter weight and extra eyes was all that was needed.

DSCF0018.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior