Big Red XJ starting the "Overland" build

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
New front axle yoke has been delivered, Tom Woods driveshaft should be delivered tomorrow. Install will be on Thursday! It'll be nice to have 4wd again :)

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Got a chance to install the new parts last night! Everything rides smooth with no vibrations. Looking forward to testing it out this weekend :)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice to hear. My red XJ just got a little BIGGER today too...and fixed. I too will be back on the trails this weekend. Pics??

New member the the ExPo forum, figured I'd post up my current build. Been off roading for a few years now and recently started getting more into the long trips. I'm on my second XJ, it's a 2001 Limited with heated leather seats :)

Planned list of parts:
Proper length Bilstein shocks
Matching XRC rear bumper
Bead locks (sitting in the barn til I have time to install)
NP231 transfer case (also sitting in the barn)
Tom Woods front driveshaft
RCV from axle shafts
Chromoly rear shafts
37" Interco Irok tires
4.6 L stroker (have parts, need donor engine)

Plan on replacing the head on that 2000 4.0 since they are known to crack due to bad castings. It's not a matter of "if" it will crack, but "when". So find a donor from a 97-99.

'00 - 01 bad heads casting number = 0331
Good casting number = 0630

If you use a flashlight and look through the oil cap on the valve cover, you can usually see the casting number to confirm.

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Oh I already plan on replacing the engine lol. Mine is running rough, and I have a 4.2L for donor parts to build a stroker. Just gotta get a different engine to build so I can still drive while I'm working on the other one.

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
This Saturday I'll be out wheeling with my 4x4 club, and Sunday I'm going to look at an Eaton M90 supercharger 😀 Why? Because supercharger!

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Picked up the supercharger 😀 also found out what broke my front yoke last time. Apparently I get enough travel for the driveshaft to contact the radius arm where the upper mounts to the lower. I'll have to adjust the bump stops and get some limit straps.

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Been a while since I've logged on, but haven't had anything to post. I ordered some new control arm bushings for the front axle. Hope to get those in this weekend.

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Finally some good news on progress, I picked up tubing to make rock rails yesterday. That's Sunday's project as I need it ready for this weekend. Going camping with a good bit of off roading!

GenPatTuck

I guess I must have missed it, but the hood scoop is it functional? do you have pics of it up close and what it looks like from the engine compartment?

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
GenPatTuck, the hood scoop is definitely functional! You should see the heat pour out of it haha. Lunchboxmunchy thanks! I did trim the fenders enough to fit those flares on made by Napier Precision Products. Doug N is a great guy to deal with. Pictures of recent work incoming...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94