Big O Bigfoot AT or something else ??

offthepath

Adventurer
For the past 4 years I have been running 315/70 r17 Big O AT's on my 01 F250 Powerstroke. After about 45k miles its time to replace the tires and when looking at spending $1200+ (ouch) I just want to make sure Im making the right choice.

I'm most likely just going to go with the Big O's again but I'd really like to hear from anyone that has specifically run the Big O AT and can compare it to something else. Most likely the BFG KO2 is the other tire Im considering.

Overall I have really liked the Big O's and the truck is used primarily as the family trip rig (lots of highway), tow vehicle (10k lbs) and a fair amount of off road in between. I have been especially impressed with the Big O's off road performance as they neared the wear bars. I've had it though some decent mud that I knew I really had no excuse to be in with worn out tires but they still hooked up and pulled me through. I have had no weird wear and the tires always provided tons of traction in any condition. My only complaint is that the first two winters the tires were amazing, but their winter ability has dropped off considerably since then. I really need a very good winter tire and this is the only reason Im considering something else. Although I don't know if any tires can provide good winter performance later in their life.....?

The Big O shop is just down the road and they have always been great to deal with and I like that its just a 2 min drive to get them rotated and balanced.

The more I talk about the tires I feel like it would be a mistake to go to something else, but I just want to make sure Im not missing something:sombrero:

Thanks

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

offthepath

Adventurer
Ya, probably good advice. I wish you could sample tires. For that kind of money I hate not getting the best, but how can you really know!!!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have the same Big O's on my Expedition. They were on it when I bought it. I have no real complaints to be honest. They seem to wear like iron and were pretty good in the snow last winter. I've had them in some light offroad and they did fine.

I've read they have a fantastic warranty. BUT some people have replaced their tires several times due to failed sidewalls.

offthepath

Adventurer
Well I decided to just go with the Big Os again. I first went to Costco and priced the BFG KO2s at $1255 something out the door and then told Big O if they could come in under $1250 I'd do the Big O, well they came in at $1249:sombrero: Im pretty happy with that because you get the full road hazard warranty that I could not have got for the BFGs at costco.

justcuz

Explorer
My sons truck had a sidewall issue as well, no offer from the Big O store about even a pro rated replacement tire.
Is the road hazard optional? I believe Americas Tire includes it when selling their tires. I've never paid for any repairs and have had a couple pro rated road hazard replacements on their store brand tires.

offthepath

Adventurer
Not sure about other big o's but they clearly state the at has a full road hazzard warranty for 3 years from purchase.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I ran the Big O tires on my Defender (it was the XT) and thought they were good tires. I had a couple of tires slashed (side wall) and Big O replaced them all, no muss no fuss. There are better tires out there, but the value proposition of Big O can be hard to beat.

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
The Big O Bigfoots are essentially Cooper AT3's. A little birdy I know that runs a Big O shop told me Cooper makes the tires for them and they just get different badging on the sdiewall. Considering how highly rated AT3's are on this forum and other places you can't go wrong with the Big Foots, afterall you're saving some $$$ by not buying the Cooper name. I work at 8k feet in the rockies and most all of the 100+ vehicles in the fllet run on that tread.

sargeek

Adventurer
We run them on a 6 of our work trucks that spend 85% of the time on dirt roads ; the other 15% highway run to the city for parts. The are a respectable tire. I would use them w/o hesitation. I

ExplorerTom

Explorer
For grins I priced out replacements for my Expedition. The Big O tire actually comes in at $29 MORE expensive per tire than the BFG KO2 in LT275/70/18.

But at the rate my current set of Big O's are wearing, BFG will have come out with the KO3 by then (didn't the original KO have something like a 20 year run?).

Last edited:

offthepath

Adventurer
I had the same issue and the price is actually why I made this post to start with. The Big O's listed at $309 per tire, while the BFG where $275. Enough of a price gap to make you think.

However, every time I have got Big O tires I push them on the price and they always seem to have plenty of wiggle room to come down. This newest set they actually came down and beat the BFG price from Costco. Also keep in mind Big O always includes the road hazard warranty, where as that would be in addition to the price of any other tire.

Big O is certainly not a "budget tire" and I dont see any reason to look at them to save money. But from my experience they are a good tire that really does not have any issues and delivers just as promised. Ultimately I really like the convenience too when it comes to tire problems or just routine maintenance, around here there are Big O's everywhere.

I wish the magazines or some of the bigger websites would do a back to back comparison of tires. Run the same trail, with the same rig and driver on one set of tires. Then put different tires on and do it all again so you can really see how different tires perform in something that is not so subjective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne